Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,205 times

Advertisements

Hello, I just moved into a rental house and just realized there is no phone outlets in the house. Should the landlord be responsible for paying for a phone outlet to be installed. There is no way to get phone service and internet from our provider. Also the dryer plug in is a 3 prong and I have a 4 prong should the landlord be responsible for switching the outlet.
If any has any knowledge I would appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 07:31 PM

393 posts, read 653,379 times
phone service is a privilege not a right, neither is it the landlords responsibility to replace the outlet for your 4 prong dryer. I have rented many times over the years and I have to say you are responsible for all the items you mentioned. Get a cell phone its cheaper and change that outlet for about $10.00

Old 12-04-2011, 08:46 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,914,633 times
Read the lease. All my leases stipulate that the LL is NOT responsible for telephone service or cable and or satelite. It is stipulated that if those services are to be installed, clearance must be obtained from the LL before any alterations are made to the property to install such.
Very few people have house telephone service anymore. Get a cell phone, it is cheaper and easier.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:48 PM

34,147 posts, read 83,188,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley1980 View Post
...a rental house and just realized there is no phone outlets in the house. None at all? That's odd.
Go outside the house and look for the phone/CATV connection box (near electric meter usually).

There is no way to get phone service and internet from our provider.
Yeah; there is. All sorts of ways.

Should the landlord be responsible for paying for a phone outlet to be installed. No.
But if he doesn't provide such an outlet and the wiring...
he won't have any room to complain if/when some amateur starts installing them
poorly.

dryer plug in is a 3 prong and I have a 4 prong...
should the landlord be responsible for switching the outlet. No.
You need to buy a $5 3wire cord for the dryer and change that.
hth

Old 12-05-2011, 04:17 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,712,030 times
For the electrical outlet, your on your own.

For the telepone outlet, read your state laws reqrding minimum requirments for rental units. A few states require that at least a telephone line is available in each unit. One state (I think CA) goes as far as requiring one outlet in the bedroom. Most times these may not be state laws but rather local regulations on rental units. Odds are if they do say a outlet must be availble, where it is is up to the LL and phone company.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:27 AM

584 posts, read 1,940,069 times
get cable phone internet if you must have home phone digital phon is cheap i have that and cell, and where are you a 4 prong electric most i have seen in us is 3 other than have stuff

Old 12-06-2011, 05:50 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,812,839 times
I believe there is only one state, California, which requires that a LL provide a telephone connection outlet. NC where you live does not.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:40 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,083,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley1980 View Post
Hello, I just moved into a rental house and just realized there is no phone outlets in the house. Should the landlord be responsible for paying for a phone outlet to be installed. There is no way to get phone service and internet from our provider. Also the dryer plug in is a 3 prong and I have a 4 prong should the landlord be responsible for switching the outlet.
If any has any knowledge I would appreciate it!

No phone outlets anywhere in the house? That seems a bit odd...there should be at least one somewhere in the home.

I suggest you ask the landlord about having one put in. You might have to pay for it, which kinds of bites because you can't take it with you when you leave. But, you never know, he may pay for it. It doesn't hurt to ask.

As for your dryer plug..go buy a new plug and change it out.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:42 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,522,360 times
In my area, the code changed some years ago. Older houses have one type of dryer plug, and newer houses have a different type. To ask the LL to change them out for the tenant is rediculous, since the next tenant may then have the other type again. It is an easy change for a tenant to make on their dryer, and then you have one of each type, in case the next place is different again. So to me, asking the LL to change that is just silly.

Did you ask the phone company if they will put in phone jacks when they run the line? I know our cable company will do that at no charge for cable jacks. I never moved into anywhere that didn't have phone jacks, so not sure on that. I wonder if they ran the line and just forgot to cut out the jacks. Is the house new construction? If so, see if you can get the LL to have the electrician come back out and locate the phone lines in the walls. If it isn't new construction, isn't a mistake, and the phone company won't install the jacks, can you just run an end up through the floor or wall and attach a female end to it? That would seem to be the cheapest solution.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:21 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,530,095 times
Phone service might even be paid for by the phone company if you get the right deal. As for the dryer you are on your own. You MUST check with the landlord before doing anything with your dryer, I don't know what kind of power your dryer needs but its possible the electrical circuits of the house won't support it. You may be SOL and have to sell your dryer on craigslist and pick up one that works with the electrical wiring of that house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting