Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 08:21 PM

204 posts, read 1,505,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Bound View Post
You're right on target, IMOGAJAD. Coming up with ridiculous reasons to exert your "power" over your tenants, which is consistent with the mentality of most landlords I dealt with when I was trying to find a place to live. I'm sure people have nothing but good things to say about you and you're properties.
ONE property, Durango Bound; only one, and yes, the longest term tenant is 6 years tenure. You'd have to ask them what they think of me. However, most interestingly, the dish issue has never arisen with any tenant.

And yes, I enjoy the "power" as you call it of maintaining the property for the benefit of ALL tenants; not just the one who feels federal law entitles them damage my property with a dish.

One way for everyone to avoid the friction of this overly long and tenuous thread: Ask the LL BEFORE you sign the lease if a dish is ok. If it's not, and your heart is set on it - DON'T SIGN THE FREAKING LEASE! Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 08:28 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMOGAJAD View Post
not just the one who feels federal law entitles them damage my property with a dish.
Get over yourself. Federal law allows them to install a dish, and clearly spells out the conditions under which the dish is permissible. Don't like it? Don't be a landlord.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
Get over yourself. Federal law allows them to install a dish, and clearly spells out the conditions under which the dish is permissible. Don't like it? Don't be a landlord.
I say no - don't like it? Don't be my tenant.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:35 PM

289 posts, read 776,267 times
Quote:

And yes, I enjoy the "power" as you call it of maintaining the property for the benefit of ALL tenants; not just the one who feels federal law entitles them damage my property with a dish.
The "damage" that a dish would cause is minimal. When I was growing up, we had a satellite dish installed at our house and never once had to worry about the dish damaging the roof or any other part of the house.

You make it sound like installing a satellite dish will cause the building to crumble down to the foundation. Get over yourself.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
The "damage" that a dish would cause is minimal. When I was growing up, we had a satellite dish installed at our house and never once had to worry about the dish damaging the roof or any other part of the house.

You make it sound like installing a satellite dish will cause the building to crumble down to the foundation. Get over yourself.
Gee, you're right...I'm very sorry. However, while I'm "getting over myself" I'm not allowing any dishes...a thousand pardons...

Old 08-22-2011, 08:52 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
If it was allowed under law you don't possibly think you could deny it, do you?

Old 08-22-2011, 08:54 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,748 times
Quote:
Fortunately, the law would supersede you.

Quote:
The law is also pretty clear that ordinary wear and tear is to be expected. Since drilled holes into wood are pretty easy to repair, I would imagine that your average landlord would putty the holes and repaint the railing, charging the tenant for labor and materials. That way the landlord isn't violating the law by prohibiting the dish, nor are they out the expense of repairing the dish.

There are also other, non-destructive methods of installation. Tripods are common, as are the concrete-bucket mounts described by another poster. These can be removed with zero effort and leave zero trace of their existence.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:48 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
I rent an apartment where I have my own private patio which faces south. I really want to install a satellite dish (better programming and better value), but my landlord refuses to allow satellite dishes anywhere on the property. Her reasoning is that satellite dishes make the property look "ghetto."

After reading through FCC laws, I've concluded that I have every right to install a dish on my patio provided that I don't mount it to the building or drill holes through the wall. All I would have to do is place the dish on a pole and run the cables through my window. Should I pursue this with my landlord, or should I have it installed without consulting her?

For what it's worth, I don't see satellite dishes as "ghetto," and don't think it would be any different than having a BBQ grill or lawn furniture in front of my unit, which is what some of the tenants at my complex have...

She is right, they do not look nice in the front of the building, imagine 7 tenants put dishes out their windows, it would not look nice at all, the back of the house, yes, I agree should be ok. We are not allowed to have them either, we have regular cable, just as good.....I wouldnt want the ugly dish either...

Old 09-01-2011, 02:49 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
When we were landlords, we got around this by having our tenants install their satellite dishes on the emergency exit balcony (obviously not blocking it in the case of an emergency). It worked fine and the neighbor (who was rather meticulous about our building's appearance, even expecting us to sweep the dirt from the drive behind the building) never complained about it. Of course, we had four tenants, two or three of whom watched satellite TV.

Some LL's in this thread sound like jerks, but on the other hand I don't know their exact situation. On one hand, you do not want your apartments to look like this:

Satellite (http://www.flickr.com/photos/brew127/2612770961/ - broken link) by brew127 (http://www.flickr.com/people/brew127/ - broken link), on Flickr

But on the other hand, most dishes common in the US are smaller and can be made to fit in somewhat with exterior. This also appears to be a building (in Germany) housing lots of immigrants who want channels from their own country and therefore have to use larger or multiple dishes to get them.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:49 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
ONE property, Durango Bound; only one, and yes, the longest term tenant is 6 years tenure. You'd have to ask them what they think of me. However, most interestingly, the dish issue has never arisen with any tenant.

One way for everyone to avoid the friction of this overly long and tenuous thread: Ask the LL BEFORE you sign the lease if a dish is ok. If it's not, and your heart is set on it - DON'T SIGN THE FREAKING LEASE! Problem solved.
And what about a set up that DOES NOT require ANY damage to your property? Would you "allow" it then?

We lived out in the boonies where cable was NOT an option (unless we wanted to spend 10K to have the cable lines hung for miles to the house just for us), so we built a platform that did NO damage to the home's roof, and installed the dish there. The LL was so happy that there was no damage to the roof, he asked us to leave the platform there, and paid us for it, for future renters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting