Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,394 times

Advertisements

We moved out of our old place at the end of June. Our landlord did our walk through with us and refunded our entire deposit to us the next day. The new renters have been there since the day after we left and I just received an email from the old LL saying that the new tenants are complaining of a dog smell. She is asking us to replace the carpets. Since she signed off on our walk through and gave us our full deposit, are we in anyway legally obligated to pay for carpets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 07:27 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,669,361 times
No, she cannot come after you now that she gave you the full refund.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:19 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
No chance I would be paying anything to her. Either the LL didn't smell the dog or didn't care, but either way its not your problem.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:09 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
The time to make a demand for a carpet smell was during the inspection and walk through. You are no longer responsible for any conditions in the apartment. I would answer the email with a posted letter telling the LL just that. Do not answer an email. Keep it all in writing. Some dumb lawyer may try to intimidate you with threats and you need to be clear and on the record with a posted return receipt letter. It may sound over the top, but CYA.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:22 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
My answer is YES... she can attempt to collect from you.

Highly doubtful she would be successful.

Since your security has been returned... no need to reply... in my opinion

Old 08-05-2011, 03:33 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Smile Nope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sforce View Post
We moved out of our old place at the end of June. Our landlord did our walk through with us and refunded our entire deposit to us the next day. The new renters have been there since the day after we left and I just received an email from the old LL saying that the new tenants are complaining of a dog smell. She is asking us to replace the carpets. Since she signed off on our walk through and gave us our full deposit, are we in anyway legally obligated to pay for carpets?
you're not obligated...now...in any way,shape or form. I would reply only with
a copy of the signed walk-through and maybe a copy of the check for the deposit refund at the time of move-out and nothing more. Maybe a note saying...'Have a nice day'...
Koale

Old 08-05-2011, 03:52 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforce View Post
Tell your LL to knob off.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:51 AM

193 posts, read 541,470 times
I would ignore it. If the smell was there when you lived there she would've noticed it upon move out. You can't be held responsible once you've already gotten your paperwork signed and security deposit back.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:59 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
A LL has the right under most state laws to recoup money to correct damages that were unseen during the walk through, even if they refunded you the whole deposit. They have to sue you like anyone else and that may be a downside that they may just decide isn;t worth it due to the hassles.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:10 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,669,361 times
But I would argue that a pet urine smell is easily discoverable upon walk through, and therefore the LL is SOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting