Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 7,145 times

Advertisements

I manage a property for a corporation, and one of the tenants has moved in a girlfiend, with no approval, and no lease. What can I do to remove this person from the property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 12:12 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,388,682 times
what were the terms of the signed lease regarding occupancy? the contract i had my tenant in virginia sign clearly stated that anyone staying more than a predetermined amount of time would be considered an additional tenant, which was forbidden without prior approval of the owner. what kind of clause did you put in the contract that allows you to evict based on broken terms?

Old 09-08-2011, 03:57 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
You manage a property and you have no clue how to evict or how the system works? What kind of management is that? Isn't that called "collecting money without knowledge?"

Old 09-08-2011, 05:38 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,792 times
Depends on the lease and the state you're in.

Where I am a LL, that tenant can be evicted for breach of contract with 30 days notice. The way it works is that you give written notice that moving the g/f in is in violation of the lease and she has x days to move out. If she isn't out, you send a notice to vacate and begin eviction proceedings.

Note that it is my understanding (NY experts please correct me if I am wrong) that NY allows significant others to move in even if they are not on the lease. At any rate, states can have different laws so perhaps you can say where this is happening.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:48 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,363,737 times
Did he ask permission to move her in and was denied or did she just move in? Why not just get her to sign the lease rather than going through all the hassle and expense of kicking them out and trying to find a new tennant?

Old 09-08-2011, 06:27 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
You say there is "no lease". It seems odd that there wouldn't be but, if so, then the tenant is on a month to month occupancy and the only thing you can do is give the tenant notice to quit in accordance with your state law (usually 30 days but in some cases 60). Then find someone else to rent the apartment and get a proper lease agreement put together to avoid any future problems.

If there IS a lease but it says nothing about the number of occupants permissible in the unit then you're pretty much stuck.

If you're going to be in the property management business you should google, "(your state) landlord tenant laws" and read them until your eyes hurt and your brain swells. Good luck.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:41 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhoffman31 View Post
I manage a property for a corporation
yeah... Ok; if you say so.

one of the tenants has moved in a girlfriend, with no approval, and no lease.
which aspect of the situation you describe is the problem for you here?
(remedies will vary based on that distinction).

What can I do to remove this person from the property.
The usual things that property managers have available to them.
What did you do the last time this came up?
confused

Old 09-08-2011, 12:30 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,948,457 times
No Lease? well *I* would simply give the tenant a 30 notice of rent to be raised by XX$ since there is now a new person in the place ..Water and other costs are now impacted by a second user of services.

Is there a problem with the tenant having a second person in the unit other than he just moved her in?

AND get a good tight lease ready to be signed by BOTH tenant and his g/f with a extra deposit from her as well. BAN animals and extra folks as well.
Do a walk thru now that she is in there when you take the lease up to them to sign .. Your eyes will tell you alot about the roomie and how they live.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:20 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhoffman31 View Post
I manage a property for a corporation, and one of the tenants has moved in a girlfiend, with no approval, and no lease. What can I do to remove this person from the property.
"...oh yeah, and another thing is, his girlfriend is my wife..."

Old 09-08-2011, 02:00 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,671,167 times
Those girlfiends are nothing but trouble!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting