Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 02:56 PM

48 posts, read 149,880 times

Advertisements

i received a notice to leave premises on my front door

i have been a tenant here for over 3 years,NEVER LATE ON RENT

called the mgmt co. office,THEY KNOW NOTHING,they said the owner did it

talk to him.

THE OWNER WILL NOT TALK TO ME

should i just make them file an eviction on me to force them to show a judge why i am being thrown out?

i am in ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 03:00 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,841,307 times
Are you on a lease? Or is it tenant at will? I don't know the laws in your state, but in most of the country , the owner has the right to evict anyone with 30 days notice, for whatever reason. Google the rental laws in your state, or contact a lawyer.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:02 PM

btw,i have no verifiable income to get another apartment,unless they take bank statements

i refurbish antique auto parts and resell them on ebay.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Are you on a lease? Or is it tenant at will? I don't know the laws in your state, but in most of the country , the owner has the right to evict anyone with 30 days notice, for whatever reason. Google the rental laws in your state, or contact a lawyer.
i checked and there is a clause in the law that the owner has to show"just cause" or prove a financial damage i would cause by staying.

i am off lease,month to month

im also considerring filing bankruptcy.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:11 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agtw31 View Post
if you're not protected by a lease then you can get a notice without cause or warning or anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio
Landlords must deliver a notice to vacate to the tenant at least three days be- fore they file a suit of eviction with the court. The tenant does not have to move out during this time. If the landlord and tenant cannot reach an agreement within these three days or the tenant does not move out, the landlord can file an eviction with the court. This eviction complaint is called a Forcible Entry and Detainer action and will claim either that the lease has expired or that the tenant has violated the law or the lease.
http://www.dayton-ombudsman.org/llt.htm

Quote:
there is a clause in the law that the owner has to show "just cause" or prove a financial damage i would cause by staying.
check that again. carefully.

Last edited by MrRational; 09-25-2011 at 03:21 PM..

Old 09-25-2011, 03:42 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
btw,i have no verifiable income to get another apartment,unless they take bank statements

i refurbish antique auto parts and resell them on ebay.
That would make it hard to find another rental but isn't relevant to your current dilemma where your landlord is concerned. He wants you to leave.

Quote:
i checked and there is a clause in the law that the owner has to show"just cause" or prove a financial damage i would cause by staying.

im also considerring filing bankruptcy.
I don't know what you checked to come up with such a clause but you're reading something out of context. If you're on a month to month your landlord can give you the required notice (most often 30 days but it does differ slightly in some states) without providing any reason at all.

Filing bankruptcy won't alter any of this either. Sorry.

Google, "(your state) landlord tenant laws" for confirmation.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:58 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Any chance your LL is aware of your financial situation and wants you gone before he gets stuck ?

Old 09-26-2011, 06:12 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,237,972 times
Some states don't have to give a reason.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Any chance your LL is aware of your financial situation and wants you gone before he gets stuck ?
wtf do you mean by that?

i am doing pretty good at this,i am not destitute.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:33 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,934,712 times
Quote:
wtf do you mean by that?

i am doing pretty good at this,i am not destitute.
You did mention that you are considering filing bankruptcy. Most of us took that to mean your financial situation isn't good. If the landlord is aware you are having financial difficulties, he might be concerned that you will soon be unable to pay the rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting