Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2011, 10:36 AM

5,545 posts, read 2,036,817 times

Advertisements

I have a very loud upstairs neighbor that lives above me who stomps around all the time, drops heavy items on the floor, moves furniture, etc. at all hours of the day, everyday, and very late at night as well. The landlord is unwilling to accept responsibility as outlined in the lease to ensure quiet enjoyment of my residence.

What are some ways that I can COMPLETELY BLOCK OUT (not somewhat) the ridiculous stomping, dropping objects, and other noises coming from the devil himself who lives above me? So far, I've used a white noise application on my Mac to generate peaceful sounds during the day, but it only works to an extent. I wear earplugs at night, and can still hear his sorry fat ass.

Please recommend cheap, effective options for both during the day and night to COMPLETELY block out the noise. Moving is not an option (too expensive and there are no other vacant apartments available in my building). I'm also not going to get involved in a legal battle. Please only provide advice on how to completely block out the noise.

Mod Cut: Unrelated Comment

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 12-10-2011 at 07:19 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 12:08 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
I would assume what you are looking for is impossible.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:11 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I firmly believe it's impossible.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:11 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Noise cancelling headphones for sleeping.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_2af3n2gbs2_b

A review of one product:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1JI7OL...R1JI7OLVZOGXG1

The more negative reviews were about quality issues, not effectiveness.

And they are cheap.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Noise cancelling headphones for sleeping.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_2af3n2gbs2_b

A review of one product:

Amazon.com: J. Romine "jromine11"'s review of AcousticSheep SP4BM SleepPhones v.4 - Ears...

The more negative reviews were about quality issues, not effectiveness.

And they are cheap.
Thanks for sharing these! The sleeping headphones are certainly an interesting concept. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photography View Post
Thanks for sharing these! The sleeping headphones are certainly an interesting concept. Any other suggestions are welcome.
You're welcome!

If you decide to try one, please let us know how it works.

I don't have a problem with noisy neighbors. I do have a spouse who snores. Loudly. and I do not like ear plugs.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I firmly believe it's impossible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Having said that, it's beyond impossible and they already know that. And it's already been discussed in a previous thread.
Not impossible. See here:

Apartment Soundproofing | Apartment Noise - SoundproofCow.com

Some of these products are relatively inexpensive, though perhaps more than the OP wants to spend.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:29 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
I guarantee you if someone is determined to make you hear them they will be successful.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Not impossible. See here:

Apartment Soundproofing | Apartment Noise - SoundproofCow.com

Some of these products are relatively inexpensive, though perhaps more than the OP wants to spend.
Thank you once again for your help! I have taken a look at the links you provided and will certainly keep these in mind.

Any other suggestions (no unwanted/unnecessary "impossible" comments needed - it's obviously not impossible) are welcome.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:19 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
There is only one way. You must become the upstairs neighbor.

If that is not an option, the other thing is to just get used to it. Now, I know, don't rip my head off, you shouldn't have to, blah blah blah. This isn't about what's right or not, it's about what keeps you from going insane. When you hear someone drop something - don't assume they are doing it to irritate you. I see this accusation leveled in this forum all the time. It was probably an ACCIDENT. Who drops stuff on purpose? I'd love to never drop something ever again, but these things happen. Whenever I accidentally drop the TV remote control, it sounds like I dropped a bowling ball, not a little piece of plastic. The structure just really magnifies these sorts of sounds. Have you ever gone to confront someone over the bass in their stereo but when they opened the door the volume was not excessive at all? Low frequencies are transmitted through the building's structure even when the volume is not too loud.

When you hear "stomping", you should consider that some people are heavy walkers. You don't get to dictate their gait, they are allowed to move freely within their own space, even if you can hear every move they make. Sometimes they have medical issues which cause them to move with an unusual gait. There is absolutely nothing you can do to control that, but it is a lot less irritating when you don't interpret it at something they are doing to annoy you, so stop thinking of it as "stomping" - they are "walking". When you hear cabinet doors slam, maybe the door got away from them and the hardware is crappy. This happens to me a lot, I never mean to bang the cabinet door but sometimes it happens anyway, and its not like they use that fancy silent hardware. I've had neighbors who always slammed the front door, it was soooo irritating. Turns out that they had to slam the door to get it to close because the wooden frames swell a lot during the rainy season. But when they had the staff adjust the door to compensate, once the dry season came there was a big gap so they had them put it back the old way and just dealt with it during the summer. It had nothing to do with me, and once I learned why they were slamming the door I hardly even heard it anymore because I stopped taking it personally. You see the theme? The only way to block out the noise is to wear industrial earplugs, but your ears get sore after awhile and they still can't block out all sounds like those deep frequencies because you can hear those in your bones. In the future, don't live underneath other people, and in the meantime adjust your own attitude to get through this lease and move on.

Regarding the link to apartment soundproofing:
Quote:
There are four common approaches used to soundproof an apartment. The four ways are: adding mass, increasing or adding air space, decoupling or creating a structural break within the wall assembly, and adding sound absorption material within the wall/ceiling cavities
Very few landlords are going to allow you to make structural changes to a unit like decoupling or creating structural breaks within the wall, adding sound absorption material inside a wall, adding extra layers of sheetrock, etc. There are no ways to do this that will not break most leases.

Last edited by tilli; 12-11-2011 at 06:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting