Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 11:17 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
Well, the problem we have, Kim, is we have a lot of people here and a lot of apartments. I don't want to be Sherlock Holmes and follow people around and report them (that is one of the suggestions of management--spy on your neighbors and rat them out for cash).

Not only is this impractical, it's dangerous. There are some bad *** looking people around you don't want to mess with.

I have experienced this in every apartment building we've lived in. People just do not care. Some people have huge dogs that dump mounds of dog poop on the road (yes they let them do this on the road and ignore it) or in the grass (why people let their kids play there is beyond gross!).

Now the weather is bad, it's even worse. There is one section of our complex's lawn I call the **** walk because that's all you pass when taking your dog out. If you don't look down you're going to get a nasty surprise.

There are people who only pretend to pick up the poop if you are out at the same time. Then there are others (generally the guys in their teens/20s) who will not do it at all. They are the ones with big dogs (labs, german shepherds) and dare you to comment.

It's just ruining it for everyone else.

The only reason I knew it was them was because I saw them doing it, said something, was told to F myself. LOL I spoke to the office and they said they would speak to them, they did ( they actually caught them in the act) fined them...but they still did it. So instead of calling the office, I left them a present.

I always have extra poop bags in my pocket and just go up to ppl and hand them one...they usually just take it and pick up the poop...those that don't I point out the sign saying they will be fined. That's usually all it takes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
Why isn't there a designated dog walk, with pick up bags and a trash receptacle? Or is there and its not being used? The pet security deposit should cover the bag stand and someone's time to maintain it. I'm quite surprised that a facility that allows dogs has not considered this? When a designated area is given, then the faults of not using it are more easily enforced. Perhaps the LL could consider some sort of new fee for pet owners to cover this, on lease renewal at least, before going all out to ban pets, try something to bring the people who break the rules, in line. Why punish the good pet owners?

Sadly, we have all three and there are still a lot of people who dont' use them. They provide really nice heavy bags and large pails which are emptied daily.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:29 AM

370 posts, read 1,366,091 times
Here in NY 'snow covers all' mentality rules.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:45 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Reality of it is that management can't be everywhere where dogs poop and not be cleaned up so there will always be some poop on the ground. The poop isnl;t there because of management but because of the tenants and I fully 100% support landlord's decissions to solve the problem by no longer allowing pets on the property. Not only do we have a no pet policy but we have a Pet prohibited policy that allows us to take action against anyone who comes into the complex with a pet. We have never had to enfoce the policy ona tenant since all of them wanted a place with no pets, and we enfoced it once on a non-resident by issuing them a no-tresspassing summons. If they or their dog sets foot on the property they can now be arrested.

As for creating a Dog Walk Area, why? Why does management/owners have to go through the cost and agrivation of creating a special place to accomodate those who selfishness keeps them from picking up THEIR dog's poop? The rules when they moved in should be very simple, Pickup after your dog! You don;t we stop allowing dogs. But to suggest that we should be doing somthing more to accomodate those who don;t obey the rules is crazy. Whats next, requiing the LL to create a dip-in fund for those tenants who decide they will be late on their rent so they can dip into that fund to pay late fees? Pick up or run the risk of a no dog policy!

Old 01-20-2012, 01:59 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
I don't think I've seen a pet-friendly apartment complex that doesn't have a poop problem. In a lot of places there aren't that many pet-friendly complexes so the ones that are tend to have a majority of pet owners. With that many pet owners, you're bound to have some that aren't going to pick up after their pets. So my advice to someone without a pet would be to find an apartment where they're not allowed. But still, the people that are usually the biggest problem with this are the ones that don't have their pet registered with the apartment because it's a restricted breed/they don't want to pay the pet deposit/etc., so good luck getting them to pay a fine.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:41 PM

370 posts, read 1,366,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
But still, the people that are usually the biggest problem with this are the ones that don't have their pet registered with the apartment because it's a restricted breed/they don't want to pay the pet deposit/etc., so good luck getting them to pay a fine.
Oh, yes--we have breeds here "not allowed" by the lease.

Many things are not allowed via the lease but they are here anyhow.

Renting is just a no win situation. However, with houses being out range for many people, you will just keep having to deal with it if you rent.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:51 PM

911 posts, read 2,600,252 times
i will never understand why people would wanna take the risk of renting to someone with pets, you will have to spend alot of money to rehab the place once they move out. i know for some places they permanantly hold a portion of the deposit per pet.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:54 PM

911 posts, read 2,600,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
Here in NY 'snow covers all' mentality rules.

i used to live next to a guy who did that....once march came and all the snow melted, the smell was unbearable

Old 01-20-2012, 10:27 PM

35 posts, read 175,400 times
My apartment is a bit different. See we are allowed to have the pets we pay for (limit 2), and most can't afford them with the deposit. But we are specifically told in our lease we have to walk them "off-property" and to clean up after them. I take my dogs in a ditch, and I've noticed its become a popular potty spot because there are chocolate landmines EVERYWHERE. I don't want to step in it. I clean up after my 2 dogs, its not that hard, especially when management has a garbage can on the way up to the apt door for it. (I was a kennel tech I scooped poop for a living lol) People are just lazy.

And they didn't even ask me for my vacs records for my dogs, or even what breed they are. (one is typically the banned one because people are dumb and think hes a wolf even though you can clearly tell hes a husky).

Old 01-21-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
i will never understand why people would wanna take the risk of renting to someone with pets, you will have to spend alot of money to rehab the place once they move out. i know for some places they permanantly hold a portion of the deposit per pet.
Because not all pet owners are slobs. And they don't keep a portion of your deposit for the pet. You pay a pet deposit on top of your regular deposit.

I have pets and they won't have to anything to this place when I move out. They will replace the carpet and blinds only because they are updating them as they become available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting