Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 09:39 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
What the notice is saying is that new residents will sign a lease with a no smoking clause and that when current resident renew their lease there will be a no smoking clause. So you are free to smoke until it's time to renew your lease.

Yup. This^^^^

My rentals are nonsmoking rentals. I can't control other rentals next to ours but mine are nonsmoking. I dint hate smokers I just dont want my houses smelling like smoke ashes or get cigarette burns on the carpet or counters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 11:09 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
What the notice is saying is that new residents will sign a lease with a no smoking clause and that when current resident renew their lease there will be a no smoking clause. So you are free to smoke until it's time to renew your lease.
I hope that OP has his problem settled by now.

What that notice was saying is that it is time to either quit smoking or to start saving up the cost to move because your lease won't be renewed if you are a smoker.

In the state of Oregon, the quitting is by far the better choice because very few landlords will accept smokers and in Oregon, entire buildings can be designated no smoking in the buildings or on the grounds. So, a smoker would have to walk out to the road to smoke and that is only if they could trick a landlord into accepting them in the first place.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:15 AM

1 posts, read 359 times
We’ve been living in the same Maryland apartment for eight years. We haven’t physically signed a lease since the initial signing back then...only automatic renewals without a signature. There were never any restrictions on smoking in the lease until 2 years ago. We’ve been excellent tenants (always pay on time, super friendly to our neighbors, etc.). We came home yesterday and received a letter stating we had to vacate our apartment on 2/8 (we received the letter on 1/11) due to smoking on our balcony. Never got a warning...just an eviction notice. Our close neighbor’s don’t care if we smoke (we asked) but there is a lady across the street who recently moved in and is a apparently a narc. Can they honestly evict without any first warning? We got a warning for an electric grill on our deck and got rid of it right away. Again, we never signed anything that included the non-smoking addendum, and we would never and have never smoked inside. (Meanwhile, someone else in the building is hot boxing weed. We would never complain...I mean, be an adult and talk to us personally!)

Last edited by Kitkat555; 01-12-2020 at 05:23 AM..

Old 01-12-2020, 09:02 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
......there is a lady across the street who recently moved in and is a apparently a narc. Can they honestly evict without any first warning? ......

You are not being evicted. You have received a written notice that your tenancy is being terminated. That is not an eviction. The eviction will start if you refuse to move after being asked to move.

You know that the lease was changed to "no smoking" two years ago. You had proper notice and you ignored it. So now you get to go and smoke somewhere else.

I wouldn't be so fast to blame the new resident. You are smoking out on the balcony where everyone can see you. Maybe the landlord or the property manager saw you out there smoking.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 01-12-2020 at 09:11 AM..

Old 01-12-2020, 12:28 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitkat555 View Post
We’ve been living in the same Maryland apartment for eight years. We haven’t physically signed a lease since the initial signing back then...only automatic renewals without a signature. There were never any restrictions on smoking in the lease until 2 years ago. We’ve been excellent tenants (always pay on time, super friendly to our neighbors, etc.). We came home yesterday and received a letter stating we had to vacate our apartment on 2/8 (we received the letter on 1/11) due to smoking on our balcony. Never got a warning...just an eviction notice. Our close neighbor’s don’t care if we smoke (we asked) but there is a lady across the street who recently moved in and is a apparently a narc. Can they honestly evict without any first warning? We got a warning for an electric grill on our deck and got rid of it right away. Again, we never signed anything that included the non-smoking addendum, and we would never and have never smoked inside. (Meanwhile, someone else in the building is hot boxing weed. We would never complain...I mean, be an adult and talk to us personally!)
You don’t have to sign anything.. all they have to do is inform of the new community rule.. a rules you clearly violated. At this point i you might on a month to month lease which is why your getting a notice to vacate and not a cure or quit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting