Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 06:58 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times

Advertisements

I'd give her the prorated rent and call it a day. Since you offered to do that already. It isn't her fault the new tenant didn't rent it the day after she gave you keys back. But I would not allow her to be back on property, done is done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 07:04 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
She gave you the keys so that tells me that she gave up access to the room for any reason. She can do the laundry at her new place no matter when she moved out of the old place. She knew she would be charged the rent until the last day unless someone else was going to move in as soon as she moved out. I would not give her anything but a thank you for being a good tennant (if she was one).

Old 03-28-2012, 02:37 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Promises don't count unless they're in writing.

The tenant won't win in court. She turned in the keys which ended her residency in the room.

There is now a deposit on that room for a new tenant, the old tenant, who turned in the keys, no longer has rights to the property.
You are correct, but the LL has to return prorated rent then.

The tenant moved in good faith that the LL had someone already lined up to move in it's NOT the tenant's fault that the new person didn't move in.

LL, either give her the prorated rent back, or let her do laundry there till the 30 days are up. That's the fair and proper thing to do, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I'd give her the prorated rent and call it a day. Since you offered to do that already. It isn't her fault the new tenant didn't rent it the day after she gave you keys back. But I would not allow her to be back on property, done is done.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:56 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post

The tenant moved in good faith that the LL had someone already lined up to move in it's NOT the tenant's fault that the new person didn't move in.

LL, either give her the prorated rent back, or let her do laundry there till the 30 days are up. That's the fair and proper thing to do, IMO.

Sorry, but wrong on all counts. In the first post it's obvious that even the tenant who left didn't expect any pro rated rent to be returned. Her question was could she come and do her laundry not could she get some rent money back. For all the reasons already stated in this thread, the previous tenant has no legal right to anything. If the LL chooses to do something for her then that's a whole different matter.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:16 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post

Good faith means sqaut unless it's in writing.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:13 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,363,255 times
If the tenant turned in the keys, they are giving up all rights to the place, even if they paid for the rest of the month. I checked out of my hotel at 4:30 AM yesterday, even though I had until 11:00 to do so. Should the hotel manager let me go back into my room at 10:30 and take a shower?

Old 03-30-2012, 08:50 PM

3 posts, read 10,488 times
Since your old tenant already move out and your new tenant move in, the old one cannot go back on the apartment even though they already paid the rent for that month. When he move out before her 30 days that only means that he is not legally dweller of the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting