Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 08:36 AM

6 posts, read 22,688 times

Advertisements

My tenants lease ended yesterday, I've contacted them this morning about needing the keys returned. They were aware that keys needed to be returned yesterday. I will call them again. How many days must I wait before I can legally inspect their place and change the locks? I'm not sure if they still have items there or not and dont want to be accused of stealing personal belongings.

They weren't planning to move out after a year, but I gave them 5 months advance notice of the circumstances resulting in them having to move. I'm afraid a might be a way to stick it to me. Considering they came back around 10:00 last night to pick up the last car in the driveway and didn't come back. What can i do here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 08:44 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
They probably got so caught up with last-minute moving that they simply forgot - and particularly since they picked up the car at 10PM last night. Relax, I'm sure they'll be in touch with you today and I wouldn't start worrying yet. Do you not have a set of keys to the premises? Since the lease is officially ended there's no reason why you can't enter the place and, since the lease has ended, there's no reason for them to have left any property there.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:45 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foe84 View Post
How many days must I wait before I can legally... inspect their place and change the locks?
What does your LEASE say about their duties? Or the time frame? Repercussions?

It should say that until X and Y and Z are done they haven't moved out and are still tenants paying rent.
It should also say if they do A and B they will have abandoned the space.
Things like getting their deposit back in full and on time are examples of repercussions

otoh... I can't remember ever entering a move out and NOT finding the keys in a drawer.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
What does your LEASE say about their duties? Or the time frame? Repercussions?

It should say that until X and Y and Z are done they haven't moved out and are still tenants paying rent.
It should also say if they do A and B they will have abandoned the space.

Things like getting their deposit back in full and on time are examples of repercussions

otoh... I can't remember ever entering a move out and NOT finding the keys in a drawer.
Interesting point but I've never seen a lease which makes those kinds of stipulations. Unless otherwise agreed upon, midnight on the date upon which the lease ends is the date when the tenant is legally bound to be out.

You could well be right about the keys being inside the place as that's quite usual and, since the OP is now legally able to go inside he might do so to see if this is the case.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:38 AM

6 posts, read 22,688 times
What about any left over items? can i take a picture that proofs that something like an old tv isn't a 40 inch flat screen?

Old 09-01-2012, 09:41 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
You can take pictures any time you want and as far as the keys go forget about them. The lease is up, they have had plenty of notice, change the locks and be done with it. Anything left behind is abandoned property, keep it or get rid of it and move on.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foe84 View Post
What about any left over items? can i take a picture that proofs that something like an old tv isn't a 40 inch flat screen?
Nothing has yet happened that you need to have these sorts of questions answered. It's been less than 24 hours since their lease expired. The lease is OVER and you can LEGALLY go into the place and see what's going on. Obviously you're close by since you apparently saw the tenants take their last car last night at 10PM. Just go over there. let yourself in and inspect your property!

Old 09-01-2012, 10:23 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
I bet you find the keys on the kitchen counter.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:08 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You can take pictures any time you want and as far as the keys go forget about them. The lease is up, they have had plenty of notice, change the locks and be done with it. Anything left behind is abandoned property, keep it or get rid of it and move on.
It is only abandoned property if that it described in the lease...careful!

All Florida realtor leases have it specified in the lease and tenants have to sign for it in order to avoid legal issues afterwards.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:44 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
I would definitely change the locks, even if the keys are inside. Peace of mind for all concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting