Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 09:09 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times

Advertisements

Zipperman, you are exactly right. Eviction is not just non payment of rent. I rent my house to a military family AND I rented as a military member.

In the state I'm in, eviction to a military member INCLUDES asking them to leave before, during or after a deployment (the time frame matters). The laws are very complex and he needs to speak to JAG about getting the eviction stayed under SSCRA or just move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 11:25 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
The SSCRA does and does not apply.

It does not grant automatic protection in this case because the OP lease ends on a certain date. Deployed or not deployed, when it ends it ends. had they not been deployed, it would have ended so they knew going into this that there was always a possibility that on a certain date, they would need to vacate. Also no act has granted protections when a owner wants to reocupy their property. look at the Protecting tenats during Forclosure, even that doesn;t prevent a owner from recalinming prooperty for their occupancy.

It does provide some protection in that the OP or dependent can go to court and basically under this act, ask the court to show some mercy and basically come up with some arrangement for them to stay and get enough time to leave. BUT, most courts look at this as when the FINANCIAL responbility of the contract is not happening due to the deployment, not that everything else is covered. So if the rent wasn;t being paid, that is a covered financial item under the act, but if the lease ends on X date, that is not covered because its an existing issue that had nothing to do with the deployment. At best the courts may see that the dependent is having problems because one part of the key people is deployed so extra time may be needed, but usually its not a blanklet exception until they return, it just a temporary relief.

So, you can always ask the courts in hope they side with you, but they may not. Even if they do, it may be nothing but giving your dependents a bit more time to make moving arrangements. I would ask the courts because not asking means you get nothing, asking means you may get somethuing.....

Old 05-14-2012, 11:59 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
The SSCRA does and does not apply.

It does not grant automatic protection in this case because the OP lease ends on a certain date. Deployed or not deployed, when it ends it ends. had they not been deployed, it would have ended so they knew going into this that there was always a possibility that on a certain date, they would need to vacate. Also no act has granted protections when a owner wants to reocupy their property. look at the Protecting tenats during Forclosure, even that doesn;t prevent a owner from recalinming prooperty for their occupancy.

It does provide some protection in that the OP or dependent can go to court and basically under this act, ask the court to show some mercy and basically come up with some arrangement for them to stay and get enough time to leave. BUT, most courts look at this as when the FINANCIAL responbility of the contract is not happening due to the deployment, not that everything else is covered. So if the rent wasn;t being paid, that is a covered financial item under the act, but if the lease ends on X date, that is not covered because its an existing issue that had nothing to do with the deployment. At best the courts may see that the dependent is having problems because one part of the key people is deployed so extra time may be needed, but usually its not a blanklet exception until they return, it just a temporary relief.

So, you can always ask the courts in hope they side with you, but they may not. Even if they do, it may be nothing but giving your dependents a bit more time to make moving arrangements. I would ask the courts because not asking means you get nothing, asking means you may get somethuing.....
Nothing in the SSCRA is ever automatic or straight forward. OP's should contact JAG if he is seeking a STAY. If not, just move.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:56 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Even if the OP decides to move, contacting the Chaplain's office at this time will get him some help.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:46 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
I was just scrolling through the forums on CD and saw one titled:
Military Life and Issues

this might be a perfect issue to raise there.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:58 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I was just scrolling through the forums on CD and saw one titled:
Military Life and Issues

this might be a perfect issue to raise there.
No, thats the WORST place to ask any serious legitimate questions!!!!!!
This subject was asked there once before and the so called "legal advice" many were given was worst than worst garbage. The intent is to give military and veterans a place to pound their chest and talk story, its not a place to get legitimate help on civilian/militray/veteran subject. If memory serves me correct, the advice was something along the lines of being that all military and defense civilian emplyess can get something like a years worth of free rent for their family if they are deployed along with the landlord not being able to take any action against them for anything. and that the is act allows dependendts to installa flag even if against the rules and allows the deployed member to request temporary ownership of the property under martial law and........ You know the drill, its not about truthful assistance, just a place for that group to gather and have their rah-rah momments... Fortunetely, thre is some JAGF (?) guy who come in from time to time and tells them who to contact or send them to a CD forum where they can get honest advice. So, to get the truth, no thats not the forum.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:02 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
I've rented to a lot of military wives over the years who moved themselves and their families while their spouse was deployed. People do it all the time.

But I agree, talk to the JAG, or the CO, and see if they can offer any help with finding a new place and moving. I'm sure they can.

Something else that no one really mentioned... if the owner is wanting to take possession him/her self, it isn't really reasonable to force them to be homeless when their contractural obligation to the renter has ended. And if they are selling the place, it might be in their contract that the house will be vacant by such and such date, so if you don't move, they could lose the sale over it. So it isn't just that they want you to move so they can put a different tenant in. They are needing the house to be vacated for a reason.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:56 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I've rented to a lot of military wives over the years who moved themselves and their families while their spouse was deployed. People do it all the time.

But I agree, talk to the JAG, or the CO, and see if they can offer any help with finding a new place and moving. I'm sure they can.

Something else that no one really mentioned... if the owner is wanting to take possession him/her self, it isn't really reasonable to force them to be homeless when their contractural obligation to the renter has ended. And if they are selling the place, it might be in their contract that the house will be vacant by such and such date, so if you don't move, they could lose the sale over it. So it isn't just that they want you to move so they can put a different tenant in. They are needing the house to be vacated for a reason.
+1

Moving is a part of being in the military. If you can't move with 60 days notice, when the lease has expired - you have too much stuff, whether you're in the military or not.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:59 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tknd2 View Post
My nightmare is that she will have to handle moving all by herself.
Why? People do it all the time.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:36 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,650,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tknd2 View Post
Quick question, I recieved a letter in the mail yesterday saying that my lease would not be renewed in July. I called my property manager and was told that the owners of the home were either coming back or selling the property. I am deploying in 10 days. Is there anything I can do to hold this over until I get back?
Don't those in the military have resources on base to help them with these matters? A former neighbor of mine who was military had assistance with lease issues. However, the military actually moved this neighbor and handled the lease, etc. I would look into it. There may be some help available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting