Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:13 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times

Advertisements

I found out they do free legal advice at one of the local community centers and it just happens to be on Thursday nights! I will be bringing all my documentation and talking to a lawyer tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 05:59 AM

I went to talk to an attorney last night and as luck would have it, the guy I spoke to actually lives in my village and knows my slumlords (and hates them, as most other people do). Basically he agreed with me that I have enough documentation to take this to small claims if/when I get the invoices for the carpet. So once I get all that stuff back, I will make a decision how to proceed.

My friend came with me and her dad actually used to be the former mayor, so he gave me some additional tips as well such as informing code enforcement that an inspection was never done. Due to my slumlords and their actions, my village has instituted a regulation that all apartments must be inspected by codes before a new tenant moves in. I will also be filing a complaint with the village as well.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:34 AM

So I got a text from my slumlord yesterday saying he will be mailing the balance and invoices. He asked for my address, which I had already sent to him in a CRR letter that he signed for. Guy is an idiot.

Anyway, once I get that back, I will make a decision whether to sue or not. Regardless, I will be reporting him to codes enforcement and filing a formal complaint with the Village.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:34 PM

Finally got the check today. Out of $1400, all I got back was $466.16. There's an invoice for the carpet that is $768.84 and then replacing a door was $165.

Would you sue?

I have no verbal or written requests from the new tenant about wanting ANY carpet replaced, let alone the living room. I am fine with them charging for the one small bedroom. But she can't just get all new carpet because she wants to, and refused to give me anything in writing.

Thoughts?

Old 07-06-2012, 08:18 AM

Doesn't seem like anyone is following this thread, but just wanted to give an update.

I sent a CRR letter disputing the security deposit return. I was able to calculate the cost of just replacing the living room carpet - it came out to $500.64. I supplied dates and information basically showing that the carpet didn't need to be replaced - that they just replaced it because the tenant asked (not due to actual damages). I gave them until June 30th to send me the additional money owed. The LL called and left yet another threatening voicemail once he got the letter. I will not deal with him on the phone anymore - I stated in the letter that all information must be sent in writing and I gave my address again.

June 30th came and went, no money returned. I filed a small claims suit on Monday and got my court date yesterday - August 7th. LL was served as well. Haven't heard from him as of yet, but won't be surprised if I receive additional threatening messages. Now just have to wait for court date - I can't wait until this is finally all over with

Old 07-06-2012, 09:14 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
dont forget to include court fees in the total amt you are requesting.

he might try to settle (pay you) if you drop the court case. Make sure the check clears if this occurs, before you drop the charges.

thx for keeping us updated.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
dont forget to include court fees in the total amt you are requesting.

he might try to settle (pay you) if you drop the court case. Make sure the check clears if this occurs, before you drop the charges.

thx for keeping us updated.
Court fees were only $10, so I'm not worried about that.

Good advice about waiting for the check to clear, I hadn't thought about that. I also haven't cashed the previous check for $466.16 - I didn't want cashing it to be seen as me "accepting" that amount. I would definitely be willing to settle outside of court, I just want my money.

And in other news, my Village is either sueing or taking some sort of legal actions against my landlords as well - it seems they haven't found it necessary to pay their sewage or water bills for ANY of their properties. Man do I love karma

Old 07-06-2012, 09:32 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Thanks for the updates! So often people never come back and we wonder what happened. And many do read the thread, just have nothing to add to it.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:54 AM

Went to court yesterday - was surprised that the slumlord showed up. Initially, the judge gave us the option to try to work it out without bringing it to trial - I said I was willing, slumlord started yelling at me saying he was not (this was immediately after the judge said we were not to yell at each other). So basically, I presented my case with all the dates and backup written documentation I had (I think I submitted 7 exhibits into evidence). Then slumlord told his case, which he started with "everything she said is true." I can't believe that helped him much. He had one piece of paper he had a guy write up 4 days ago that didn't even have any specific or convincing information on it.

Judge has 30 days to make a ruling. I'm confident in my case especially given my slumlord's known negative track record. Just have to wait for now.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:09 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Excellent. Persistence pays off and thanks for the update!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting