Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 06:02 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times

Advertisements

About a month ago I noticed the sound of running water coming from my wall in the middle of my apartment. I notified the landlord after hearing it non-stop for 24 hours. They sent out the maintenance guy and he checked my unit and all surrounding units and said he cannot determine where the noise is coming from. He pretty much said to keep my eyes open for any water coming through the floor or ceiling.

Now, a month later the noise is louder. It sounds like someone has their shower on full blast 24/7. I told the landlord and was told the same thing. To keep an eye open for any water and until/unless they find anything they can't do much.

I got pretty used to the original noise but now that it's louder it's starting to bother me and make living here not that enjoyable.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 07:08 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Just in case something should happen in the future you'd be well advised to address your concerns to your landlord in writing. Verbal requests pretty much mean nothing. Just write him a nice businesslike letter advising that the noise of running water which you'd brought to his attention previously has now increased and you'd like him to send out a plumber. Send the letter return receipt certified mail.

I'm guessing this "maintenance man" is a basic handyman who can probably fix an easy plumbing leak but knows next to nothing about the field as a whole.

Good luck!

Old 03-11-2012, 07:12 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Who pays for the water, the tenant or the landlord?

It sounds as though someone needs a part replaced in a tub, sink or toilet. Doesn't necessarily cause leaking and
unreported.

You'd think they would inspect other units to determine the problem.

You've done all you can unless you want to call Code Enforcement, I'm not sure it falls under their jurisdiction.

Google your county.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:24 AM

The owner pays for water or I would have pursued this more by now. They did inspect all the surrounding units and said they couldn't figure it out. I'll send something in writing just in case the worst happens.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:24 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Could be as simple as a toilet running non-stop... especially since there is no evidence of water.

Often mystery water issues take longer to remedy... it's not till the water bill comes that people spring into action.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:28 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
If you don't have renters insurance already, I'd get some just in case the place starts floating away.

I find it odd that they can't find the source of the water. Do you have fire sprinklers? Maybe the fire dept or the sprinkler company should come out and take a look and listen.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:25 PM

The maintenance guy checked practically everything in the building and said it wasn't a toilet or anything. I'm not sure if they'd even notice the increased water bill since we have over 200 units in this complex. I do have renters insurance. We don't have the fire sprinklers here.

The maintenance guy said he could cut into my wall and check it out if I wanted but I'd have to allow him all day access to my place and it would make a huge mess. Sigh, I guess I'll just ride it out and keep my eyes open.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:24 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
The maintenance guy checked practically everything in the building and said it wasn't a toilet or anything. I'm not sure if they'd even notice the increased water bill since we have over 200 units in this complex. I do have renters insurance. We don't have the fire sprinklers here.

The maintenance guy said he could cut into my wall and check it out if I wanted but I'd have to allow him all day access to my place and it would make a huge mess. Sigh, I guess I'll just ride it out and keep my eyes open.
I've had to do that... the least intrusive way is to cut out the opening the same size as an wall outlet or switch box...

I lets you get a peek inside and can be covered with a blank plate...

With the amount of water you hear... it has to be inside a pipe or the the apartments would be flooded...

Old 03-12-2012, 03:45 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Are you sure it sounds like water, and not gas or electrical?? I think I'd have him cut an opening. If they find the pipe, maybe they will insulate so the noise will dissipate.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:51 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Since no one in your apartment building is noticing any water intrusion, it sounds like a strap has snapped and what you are hearing is the vibration of the pipe as water is passing thru it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting