Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,073 times

Advertisements

Hey I need a little help here... My mom recently rented a house that has an electricity box that is not up to code. So she has no electricity. It's been a week already and the electric compony won't turn on the electricity until its brought up to code. So the LL had it fixed. Then she has to wait for a city inspector to come out and verify and fax as release to the electric company. THEN she still ahs to wait for them to send a crew out and hook it up to the electrical poles or however they do it. Isn't it against the law for the LL to rent her the house in its condition? Also the backyard it filthy! It looks like some homeless people were living in the shed back there. Trash and debris everywhere, and there was hair all over the bathroom and the drains were plugged up. she said the inside didn't look like that when she went to look at the house. She has to buy food and drink to eat everyday and ice everyday because there is no refrigerator and it is so hot out here. My main question is Can the LL be held responsible for the money she is being forced to spend on food and ice everyday because he rented her a house that was not able to have electricity? is there a way that she can have the money she was forced to spend on food everyday deductied from her rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 03:42 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMartinez408 View Post
Hey I need a little help here... My mom recently rented a house that has an electricity box that is not up to code. So she has no electricity. It's been a week already and the electric compony won't turn on the electricity until its brought up to code. So the LL had it fixed. Then she has to wait for a city inspector to come out and verify and fax as release to the electric company. THEN she still ahs to wait for them to send a crew out and hook it up to the electrical poles or however they do it. Isn't it against the law for the LL to rent her the house in its condition? Also the backyard it filthy! It looks like some homeless people were living in the shed back there. Trash and debris everywhere, and there was hair all over the bathroom and the drains were plugged up. she said the inside didn't look like that when she went to look at the house. She has to buy food and drink to eat everyday and ice everyday because there is no refrigerator and it is so hot out here. My main question is Can the LL be held responsible for the money she is being forced to spend on food and ice everyday because he rented her a house that was not able to have electricity? is there a way that she can have the money she was forced to spend on food everyday deductied from her rent?

And you are wondering what to do ?? Get her outta' there !

Old 08-12-2012, 06:38 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMartinez408 View Post
Why isn't your mom living w/ you if this is the best she can afford. How sad. I would get her into a better place...Maybe the lease can be voided because of all this electric hassle.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:10 AM

912 posts, read 5,260,722 times
They keyword you are looking for is "habitable".

Look at your local laws and figure out exactly what "habitability" means in your area.

If your mom signed a proper lease, and the place is not habitable, then the LL should be required by law to put her up in a hotel until the place is up to par.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMartinez408
is there a way that she can have the money she was forced to spend on food everyday deductied from her rent?
See.. now you are being silly. I'd use a stronger word, but I'd probably get in trouble with the mods on this board again. Does your mom not regularly eat daily?? How could you possibly make the argument that she was "forced" to buy food? Food that she eats. Every day. Get real. Man up. And go take care of your mom like she took care of you while you were a baby. And stop trying to scam people for silly things.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:43 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
No electricity means not habitable.
With everything you described, I would refuse to live there and demand a full refund. Help your mom find a decent place to live.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:38 PM

804 posts, read 2,892,277 times
I would contact HUD and a real estate lawyer today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting