Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 12:48 PM

249 posts, read 440,555 times

Advertisements

I rented my back apartment to a guy that I have been told was nice .

He has been here for 7 months, since I was out of the country, he invaded all the patio, paid the rent (late) but no electricity.

Now I am back, I asked him many times to move his stuff out, that I didn't rent him the whole house, no success until last Monday morning, he squeezed everything in a corner (which is acceptable), after I sent him a legal form requesting it within 7 days then a reminder...

He doesn't pay for November, but the biggest problem is he aggresses me -verbally- every night when he comes back, drunk, from... work (possibly). I am afraid he has something else in mind than a tenant-landlady relationship (he calls me "baby", when I asked him to stop that, he told me he loves me ). He is a mad idiot, I think he has no money to move somewhere else, but he might have good friends who told him he could stay without paying until the judge decides...

I have no written contract, no deposit. I have no money to hire a lawyer and it takes ages to evict a tenant. Last night I called the police, they didn't come, saying there is nothing they can do . I am nervously and emotionally worn out.

I thought my best option would be to make his life a nightmare, but I am not familiar with this process . Anyone could give me some good ideas? I don't dare turning the electricity off or changing the locks... I live in Florida, but I am not sure that makes any difference.

I would be very grateful for your help. Thank you.

Last edited by Allwyna; 11-07-2012 at 01:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 01:29 PM

912 posts, read 5,259,053 times
Quote:
I have no written contract, no deposit. I have no money to hire a lawyer and it takes ages to evict a tenant. Last night I called the police, they didn't come, saying there is nothing they can do . I am nervously and emotionally worn out.
I'm going to cut to the chase and just state that you've not no business being a landlord/lady. Either start reading about the business and how to conduct yourself, or you are gonna have a bad time.

Be that as it may, your first step is to check out the sticky on this forum for "Landlord/Tenants laws", find the laws of your state and go from there.

You need to issue a 30-day move out notice ASAP. Make sure you follow proper procedure.

Your next step is to get to court and start eviction proceedings. Again, read the laws and follow proper procedure.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:54 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,467,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allwyna View Post

I thought my best option would be to make his life a nightmare, but I am not familiar with this process . Anyone could give me some good ideas? I don't dare turning the electricity off or changing the locks... I live in Florida, but I am not sure that makes any difference.

In most states, turning off the utilities, or changing the locks to force a move out is illegal.

Your legal option is to evict.

In the meantime, if you are feeling threatened while in the house, either call the police, or find a friend you can stay with until you get him out. Another possibility, if you own the house yourself, is to get 5 or 6 of your biggest, meanest looking, loudest friends to come stay with you for a few weeks. If you own the house, there is nothing illegal about that, as long as they don't threaten or harm the roommate. But just having them there may make him uncomfortable enough to move out. If nothing else, it should make you feel more comfortable that it isn't just you and crazy man there alone while you wait for your court date on the eviction.

If you can't afford an eviction, you never should have rented out the room in the first place. Put it on a credit card, borrow the money from a friend, sell some blood, or take a part time job if you must, but pay the money and start the eviction.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
I'm going to cut to the chase and just state that you've not no business being a landlord/lady..
WOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW. What a pleasant manner! I was expecting some POSITIVE advice.

I have rented apartments for 30 years, first time in the US though, and first time with this kind of problem. It was someone I trusted who recommended him to me, or rather asking that as a favor, because he was getting divorced... blah... blah... It was more an agreement while I was away. And I checked the law. I need a 15-day eviction notice, maybe not even that since he didn't comply with my first form. But we live in the same property, he might decide staying without paying... I would prefer to handle it in another way.

I think finding some " biggest, meanest looking, loudest" people, after all, would be the best solution. He is probably a coward. Thanks Lacerta.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:07 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:

I have no money to hire a lawyer and it takes ages to evict a tenant.
Eviction is a legal process. Your choice is to attempt to learn all the nuances of the law and
court requirements in YOUR state and county... or to hire someone who already knows them.
Find the money to hire a lawyer. Somewhere.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:56 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,397 times
Quote:
WOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW. What a pleasant manner! I was expecting some POSITIVE advice.

I have rented apartments for 30 years, first time in the US though, and first time with this kind of problem. It was someone I trusted who recommended him to me, or rather asking that as a favor, because he was getting divorced... blah... blah... It was more an agreement while I was away. And I checked the law. I need a 15-day eviction notice, maybe not even that since he didn't comply with my first form. But we live in the same property, he might decide staying without paying... I would prefer to handle it in another way.

I think finding some " biggest, meanest looking, loudest" people, after all, would be the best solution. He is probably a coward. Thanks Lacerta.
I thought it was good advice from Allwyna

Old 11-08-2012, 07:57 AM

912 posts, read 5,259,053 times
Quote:
I apologize if I have offended you Allwyna. My advice wasn't supposed to be positive, supportive, feel-good, or even with candy and a ribbon on top.

My advice was based on reality, given the information that you provided and what I thought would be best for you to be aware of. If it offended you, that means that a least a bit of it rang true.

Best of luck.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
My advice wasn't supposed to be positive, supportive, feel-good, or even with candy and a ribbon on top.

My advice was based on reality
What reality? you just assume. Arrogance leads nowhere in this world (I read some of your other posts that are of the same vein). Learn the science of Communication, it's useful when you claim to "help" people in a forum, you will see that there are different ways for saying the same thing. And I was not expecting candy or other stupid thing but POSITIVE (yes) advice.

But this is not worth entering an argument with you.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:03 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
I know it goes against the grain of many...

You might try the incentive approach...

On occasion, I have fronted the money for a U-haul and paid one months storage to solve a problem.

I also have... in an unusual example where my long term tenant became ill, was later hospitalized and passed away... offered to refund the security deposit in full to her children that came to "Care" for her and moved in...

Being in business sometimes means being pragmatic...

A lawyer friend of mine loves to represent clients based on principal... they are willing to pay and pay to fight a loosing cause to prove a point.

He actually commended me for the way I have made problem tenants go away...

Your situation is bound to be different...

Old 11-11-2012, 06:23 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,680,864 times
How about having a chat with the person who recommended him in the first place and asking they assist you in getting him to move out? Also, maybe tell him you need for him to move out by the end of the month because you are having your brother and his 3 kids moving in and you need space......

Did he give you a deposit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting