Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 06:58 PM

225 posts, read 721,358 times

Advertisements

Hi, All,

I have a question regarding a noise issue. We live in a multifamily house with a tenant above us. He owns a dog (40+ lbs), and he’s gone a number of hours during the day and when he gets home, he ends up playing a long, loud game of fetch every night for 1-2 hours inside his apartment.
The noise of the ball being thrown down, along with the dog repeatedly running back and forth and down the stairs (which is above our living area) is really rather loud from below. Not to mention it seriously goes on for close to two hours.
A few months ago, we wrote him a polite letter about this issue, and he was better, but it seems to have picked up a lot again.
I just don’t understand why someone would be so oblivious or rude to people living beneath them. I own a dog as well, however, I am always very conscientious of the noise we make and I limit the inside playtime.

My husband says he’ll contact the tenant again if it continues for a few more days. I however, feel we’ve already voiced our complaints (v nicely, I swear) and he’s clearly no longer concerned, so I want to go to our landlord. My husband doesn’t think the landlord will really do anything and says it’ll make things awkward.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 12:20 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
i take it your building allows animals to begin with? that's the first place to start....this is something you kind of have to accept when renting a pet friendly building. do you guys have a common area or park where people can go with their animals or is it just the living spaces on the property?

why do people do this? simple, they don't believe they are a problem they are simply minding their own business.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:53 AM

584 posts, read 1,936,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
i take it your building allows animals to begin with? that's the first place to start....this is something you kind of have to accept when renting a pet friendly building. do you guys have a common area or park where people can go with their animals or is it just the living spaces on the property?

why do people do this? simple, they don't believe they are a problem they are simply minding their own business.
and depending on the time of day they are doing not one thing wrong.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:23 AM

605 posts, read 2,147,714 times
Unfortunately, if the dog is allowed there isn't much you can do. If they had a toddler running around all day playing ball, jumping, etc., there isn't much you can do either. Kinda the same thing.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:02 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,355 times
I agree with the other posts,nothing you can really do, but suck it up. You live in a multifamily complex, noise is expected. Not like he's playing fetch with his dog all night long.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:12 AM

912 posts, read 5,261,975 times
There are two things you can do to remedy your situation..

1) Move to a non-pet friendly building.

2) If you are sensitive to noise, rent the top floor apartment.

You have a person living above you. You will hear noise from them, their children, or their pets walking around/playing. Your complain is akin to moving right next door to a train station and complaining about the noise the train makes. Its not the train's fault, its the fault of the person who moves there without doing due research or taking all things into consideration.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:40 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,616,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
There are two things you can do to remedy your situation..

1) Move to a non-pet friendly building.

2) If you are sensitive to noise, rent the top floor apartment.

You have a person living above you. You will hear noise from them, their children, or their pets walking around/playing. Your complain is akin to moving right next door to a train station and complaining about the noise the train makes. Its not the train's fault, its the fault of the person who moves there without doing due research or taking all things into consideration.
DING DING DING DING

We have a winner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting