Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 05:49 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,087,599 times

Advertisements

Um...never offer money to a stubborn tenant. Lol!!
Go through the court process, and don't listen to their sob story, as a landlord, this is a business transaction...not a charity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 05:56 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,736,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Um...never offer money to a stubborn tenant. Lol!!
Go through the court process, and don't listen to their sob story, as a landlord, this is a business transaction...not a charity.
In certain cases, offering a tenant an incentive to move works for both parties involved and saves the expense and headache of going through the court system. In this instance, such a cash incentive will maybe allow the current tenants to afford a move which right now is beyond their means and allow the OP to regain the house without further delay. It's certainly worth considering.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
In certain cases, offering a tenant an incentive to move works for both parties involved and saves the expense and headache of going through the court system. In this instance, such a cash incentive will maybe allow the current tenants to afford a move which right now is beyond their means and allow the OP to regain the house without further delay. It's certainly worth considering.
I imagine it would cost a considerable amount of money for them to move, it would be much cheaper for OP to go through the court...and OP has already waited since the beginning of the year, another 30 or 40 days shouldn't be a problem.
I have never in all my years heard of a landlord doing what you're suggesting.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
There have been several posts on this forum from very experienced longtime landlords who have successfully taken this route in certain circumstances and explained why in detail.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
There have been several posts on this forum from very experienced longtime landlords who have successfully taken this route in certain circumstances and explained why in detail.
I don't normally hang out in the rental forums, I just happened across this thread...but I did rent for years, and I have several friends who own rental properties, I understand now that people do this, since you said so, but I still think it's a weird way to handle a tenant.
To each their own, I suppose.
I wish I had a landlord back in the day that would have paid me to move.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:09 AM

50,347 posts, read 47,099,157 times
You've given the deadbeats a year already, time to play hardball. I had to evict someone with the same sob story. These types will not leave unless removed by force.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:16 AM

232 posts, read 1,654,884 times
Quote:
It is called "cash for keys" and like others have said, it can be very successful. It gets a tenant out, quickly, without causing any grief or doing any property damage on their way out. Yes, you can sue them for any damage done, but if they don't have any money to take, then you're still stuck with a damaged property that *you* have to front the money to fix!

Old 11-25-2012, 12:58 PM

32,664 posts, read 48,104,757 times
OP, if there is no written agreement, then the tenancy falls under the state landlord tenant laws.

To get a tenant out you must give a written notice with a firm move-out date. Just telling them that you'd like to have the house back sometime soon won't do it. Your state law will tell you how long of a notice period you must give. In some states it must include an entire rental period. So check the law.

If they are not out by the specified date, you will have to evict. Since you seem uncertain about how to get a tenant out, I suggest that you hire either a lawyer or an eviction service to do it. If you hire a lawyer, get one who specializes in evictions. They often will charge a bulk rate because they are at the courthouse doing several evictions at the same time.

Nearly always, the tenant will be out at the end of the notice period and worry is for nothing. But do not accept any excuses and do not give any extensions. If rent is due and they don't pay, then start the eviction for non-payment. They don't get to stay for free just because they have received a notice to move out.

Most states have a landlord or apartment owners association that sells forms that are legal for their state. You could look into that possibility. It's easier if you can get a form and fill in the blanks.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You've given the deadbeats a year already, time to play hardball.
There's no indication that the tenants have been "deadbeats" as this implies that they haven't paid any rent and I don't see that this is the case here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting