Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 02:29 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,493,662 times

Advertisements

Grouping by size is about the worst way to do it.

I actually had someone this week try to pass off a 3 month old Saint Bernard puppy as "I have a small dog"

Ok, technically that is true, today. But first off, we don't allow puppies, and secondly, if we did have a size restriction, that dog is already big at 3 months, and about to be huge.

And I agree with those who say a chihuahua can be more damaging than many large dogs. I hate renting to people with chihuahuas, unless the carpet is already in need of replacement. But new carpet, no way. It is going to have to be replaced after they move out, either way, so old carpet, maybe, new carpet, definitely not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 02:37 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,127,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdub View Post
Hmmm... This is so frustrating, because I know MANY smaller dogs who are more destructive and obnoxious than our dog or dog breed. Just because a dog is bigger does not mean they are destructive or a greater risk than a small, untrained yip dog. If LL's don't want traditionally aggressive breeds, I think they should specify so. (Including small dogs that are traditionally aggressive.) They shouldn't lump all big dogs in that category.
Heres a solution. Buy your own place and make your own rules.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:53 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,778,111 times
Same reason some places let you have cats but not lions or tigers.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:26 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,350,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
We had a couple cats that liked to wail in the middle of the night seemingly at the moon despite being fixed.

And a cat that develops the typical kidney failure late in life can destroy flooring in the house. Nothing really gets out that smell of cat pee.

We're never owning one again.
This is not true. Some cats are more talkative than others, therefore, they'll wail. My cat was neutered before I got him, and he used to have separation anxiety when I went to work. He would sit in the window and howl until I got home.

He also have Chronic Kidney Disease (prone to older cats), and does not pee on the floor. The only place he pees, and has ever peed, is in his litter box.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:49 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,605,149 times
If i were a landlord, just reading this topic, i'd say 0 - zero! that means no pets period. That way the landlord doesn't have to put up with these variances in opinions, especially the pet owners who know better but try to flim flam the landlord with stuff like 'oh he's not THAT big" when he is, and "oh my little doggie did not really mess up your wall, just a little teeny tiny bit" animal lovers oftentimes love thier pets so much, that they cause problems but the owner loves them and makes a huge allowance for thier pet's damage.

so, i'd say heck with this, and I'd allow no dogs. Then they have nothing to debate about. Period, End of statement.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:20 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,043,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
If i were a landlord, just reading this topic, i'd say 0 - zero! that means no pets period. That way the landlord doesn't have to put up with these variances in opinions, especially the pet owners who know better but try to flim flam the landlord with stuff like 'oh he's not THAT big" when he is, and "oh my little doggie did not really mess up your wall, just a little teeny tiny bit" animal lovers oftentimes love thier pets so much, that they cause problems but the owner loves them and makes a huge allowance for thier pet's damage.

so, i'd say heck with this, and I'd allow no dogs. Then they have nothing to debate about. Period, End of statement.
I'm a pet owner and there's not way I'd allow pets in my rental. I know how "I" take care of my home and my pets, but I also know darn well that not everyone is like me. So....no pets, none, zero, zilch, nada...I think we covered it!!

Old 02-10-2017, 05:01 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,142,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
You missing the whole thing ALL you said so said the Other posters 4 Years Ago!
The original poster was last seen 2-1/2 years ago. From his/her profile:

Last Activity: 07-11-2014 09:45 PM

Somebody, please, put a wooden stake into the heart of this topic.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:59 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,778,111 times
One reason is if there is no yard or area to let the dog out they can only pee twice a day when you walk them unless you let them out other times. Also when it's raining dogs do not like to go out even to pee. I keep a wee pad out because my smaller little guy likes to get up at night and pee. When a big dog pees it's a lot of mess and smell, also if they poo inside. and my little guys have small mouths so they never chew on things in the house such as furniture of fixtures.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:48 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,142,569 times
A dog can pee as often as it wants. Your only option is where he pees.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:28 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,959,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
One reason is if there is no yard or area to let the dog out they can only pee twice a day when you walk them unless you let them out other times. Also when it's raining dogs do not like to go out even to pee. I keep a wee pad out because my smaller little guy likes to get up at night and pee. When a big dog pees it's a lot of mess and smell, also if they poo inside. and my little guys have small mouths so they never chew on things in the house such as furniture of fixtures.
You only walk your dogs twice a day?? When I was dog-sitting those dogs all got walked MINIMUM 3-4 times a day, for 45 minutes to an hour each time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting