Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:34 AM

737 posts, read 2,586,983 times

Advertisements

Tenant moved without paying for the extra nine days. Loser. Okay, now here is my situation: I have no forwarding address for her but she is not getting a dime back from her security. The place is trashed, my real estate agent tells me it will be $80USD to clean and another $40USD to re-key everything. It was rented as a furnished condo and she took my furniture!

Question mark key doesn't work on my computer (don't buy Toshiba), question: is it worth a lawsuit, I have to find her ($$$), then buy a plane ticket ($$$) and file with the court, have her arrested (insert question mark); $2k in bedroom furniture, 2 TVs flat panels, 2 leather sofas, $3k in light fixtures, yes, chandeliers, and countless miscellany.

Done ranting. Is it worth to go after her (insert question mark), thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 08:50 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
Tenant moved without paying for the extra nine days.
Is it worth to go after her?
Nope.

Quote:
It was rented as a furnished condo and she took my furniture!
Is it worth to go after her...
This aspect is a CRIMINAL matter. Do you want to file charges?

Old 03-13-2013, 11:05 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,435,660 times
Yikes!

Start with filing a police report.

What kind of job and assets does she have? If she has a stable job that would be garnishable then maybe. If she has property you could slap a lien on, then maybe.

And this is just one example why all the professional LLs always advise it's a recipe for disaster to be an out of state, accidental LL... Better to use a Property Manager or a service that provides some protections...

Old 03-13-2013, 02:07 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,476,176 times
you must send notice to keep security deposit within X days of her move out. even if you dont have her new address. Send certified return receipt to her last known address(the rental property). Keep the unopened envelope/letter to bring to court to prove you sent notice withing X days. I think it's 30 days in FL. If you dont comply, she is due her entire deposit back even if damages

Old 03-13-2013, 02:53 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,709 times
In the future you may want to check and make sure you have the right insurance as a rental. I pay extra for a bit of coverage that covers theft by tenant of my appliances.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:09 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,397 times
no and your tenant knows it

Old 03-13-2013, 05:13 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
you must send notice to keep security deposit within X days of her move out. even if you dont have her new address. Send certified return receipt to her last known address(the rental property). Keep the unopened envelope/letter to bring to court to prove you sent notice withing X days. I think it's 30 days in FL. If you dont comply, she is due her entire deposit back even if damages
Good advice ^^
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Old 03-13-2013, 07:46 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,253,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
Tenant moved without paying for the extra nine days. Loser. Okay, now here is my situation: I have no forwarding address for her but she is not getting a dime back from her security. The place is trashed, my real estate agent tells me it will be $80USD to clean and another $40USD to re-key everything. It was rented as a furnished condo and she took my furniture!

Question mark key doesn't work on my computer (don't buy Toshiba), question: is it worth a lawsuit, I have to find her ($$$), then buy a plane ticket ($$$) and file with the court, have her arrested (insert question mark); $2k in bedroom furniture, 2 TVs flat panels, 2 leather sofas, $3k in light fixtures, yes, chandeliers, and countless miscellany.

Done ranting. Is it worth to go after her (insert question mark), thanks
For that much money? I would.

Definitely start by filing a police report as was already suggested.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:14 AM

737 posts, read 2,586,983 times
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I did call the Police, they refused to take the information after they asked if I have a property manager, I do. They said I could show up in person or have my property manager handle it.

I will definitely send the certified letter and probably just let it go. It isn't like I expect anything to be returned, including my fees to get there and probably a follow up visit.

Surprised my property manager didn't know about sending a letter. Hmmm.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:24 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,709 times
Dont forget the insurance. I pay for an additional 3000 coverage for appliances, tenant damage or theft. I take photos and have all serial numbers documented and tenants sign a statement that all thise things are there when they move in. So I am not out 800 dollars should a deadbeat tenant decide to sell all my window ac units for drug money. All I have to do is show the proof that the stuff was there and file the police report for the theft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting