Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 04:15 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
If you are a LL and you are worried about damages from pets then just don't rent to people with pets. However, many LL's have found that they can get away with non-refundable deposits and pet rent. These are nothing more than under handed tactics aimed at extorting as much money as possible from the tenant and you can bet your last dollar you will have a hell-of-time trying to get you security deposit back. The law needs to crack down on these thieves who make it a practice to hold tenants hostage for no other reason than having a pet. I urge all tenants to write to their respective political leaders and request that these unreasonable deposits and rents be made illegal.

LL if you don't like it then don't rent to people with pets!

Never trust a landlord.
It seems pretty simple. Don't like the fees, don't rent from that LL. No one is forcing anyone to pay these fees if they don't want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 08:41 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I'll have to admit--my room mate pays all of the "pet rent" every month. But it's all of $10.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:59 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
You must--or you wouldn't comment so often.

If you--and I do specifically mean you--don't care, then don't comment.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:12 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
we don't care
Ignorant for no reason...skip over his posts if you don't like them.
Be the cyber bully on another forum.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:18 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Many landlords do not allow any pets, and the ones that do, often allow just one small dog. Some allow only cats. When I was looking to rent with a couple very well behaved, older dogs, I could find only *one* rental within a 40 miles radius that allowed pets --- and they wanted $2,000/month plus pet security deposit on top of first/last/regular security. Yeah, I'll call my rich uncle and get back to you

The most ridiculous experience I had at that time was going to view a place for $1800/month that did not say "no pets" in the ad. When I got there the landlord was practically handing me the keys when I said, oh, and you understand I have pets --- he frantically backtracked and then said he had other people looking at the place and would call me back. Right. And we went outside to leave, his 2 huge Bouviers were rampaging loose all over the lawn of the rental house (he lived next door). So - do as I say, not as I do. But as a tenant you can't do a thing about pet discrimination.

The problem is that too many irresponsible, immature pet owners have ruined it for the rest of us who actually raise our pets right, ensure they are under our control at all times, and well-behaved, plus take responsibility for any damages that might occur despite best efforts. My folks had much more trouble with their rental property when they rented to people with wild kids than when renting to responsible pet owners.
Perfect statement. The bad apples are what spoils everything else. You cant get mad at the landlords for what they do/charge.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,089 times
Default My two scents

I'm a pet supporting owner, and landlord. I have an upcoming rental opening, and am setting up a new rental agreement for a tenant, whose girlfriend wants to add herself and a dog now...

I have been a landlord with surprise pets added before. Last time, with no deposit or application, a family member added "Buddies" with 2) 70 lb pit bulls to our rental 500 miles away. When I found out, I demanded Vaccination records, deposits and such. Had to delete the whole mess and evict the bunch a few months later. Result, $40,000.00 in remodel costs, bark ripped off of two very rare custom trees I planted there for my wife when we lived there, all the landscaping in the private yard off the master suite destroyed, and then as a going away present, they left me 1/4 acre of scattered, and another 33 galvanized trashcan full of rain soaked dog waste to collect and dispose of. House was filthy, scarred in so many places we almost had to demolish the building. Found out from the side neighbor, he stopped doing his yard work, since the dogs were so nasty and aggressive against the fence, he was scared to enter his own yard! Guess what deposit THOSE renters would have lost?? $$$$$

I'm not trying to scam anyone, but I didn't deserve to be treated that way! So, now I'm a believer in deposit(LARGE ONES). As I stood there, holding a trash can that weighed about 300 lbs, by myself trying to get it loaded into my truck to go to the dump, I would have raised that deposit to several times the rent amount!!! Is that a scam? Would you have thought different?

I also want to point out, that as an owner, I already put up my $150,000.00 commitment! As a renter, whats your commitment? A few hundred dollars? Match my commitment, I'll match your deposit!

I'm not trying to be nasty, but the loudest criers on here, are usually the people who never bothered exposing their assets to someone Else's abuse.

My new tenant will get a pet deposit, no pet rent, and new fences for her pooch. We'll see what happens...

Old 04-05-2012, 10:45 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Good luck trying to rent a place with a $3,000+ pet deposit

Old 04-06-2012, 05:46 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Why did you not demand the removal of the animals as soon as you knew they were on the property? Why didn't you document all the damages and take the tenants to court?

Old 04-06-2012, 05:52 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,355 times
I have a pet and honesty I wouldn't rent to the "average" pet owner. I paid 300 non-refundable deposit to keep my great dane. While I think its a bit much for a dog with titles at least I get to keep him.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:06 AM

12,776 posts, read 14,987,827 times
I'm going to be renting soon & I have a pet that's 15 pounds. In my area, they want the weight limit to be 25 at the most.

I've NEVER heard of this DOUBLE pet rent! Great, another thing to worry about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting