Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:10 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,558,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I sold my home and am waiting for an opening in a 55+ community that does not charge for pets. I leased a townhouse where I had to pay a $500 nonrefundable deposit. If it were not for the retirement community I am heading for I would buy another house. This nonrefundable pet fee is nothing more than extortion. A lawyer told me I did not have to sign the lease. He is right, but what choice did I have. Perhaps a nice cozy place under a bridge for me and my dog. Where are the politicians on this issue?
This is small crumbs to politicians. The little people's real conflicts do not interest their affairs unless it goes on headlines and benefit them by proclaiming the injustice of it all. this is just my personal opinion. I have noticed my other outbursts have been taken poorly. Point is I just wanted to see if other people felt the same way I did in this frustration of fees that were felt unnecessary.

Last edited by deegers; 10-29-2007 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 05:27 PM

791 posts, read 2,223,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
IA lawyer told me I did not have to sign the lease. He is right, but what choice did I have. Perhaps a nice cozy place under a bridge for me and my dog. Where are the politicians on this issue?
The politicians are on the side of the largest annual campaign contributor, with the better connections.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:28 AM

217 posts, read 879,296 times
During my renting days, I tried to pick a private landlord, not an apartment complex. Private landlords tend to be more flexible and not charge insane pet fees.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:03 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,491,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallylady46 View Post
During my renting days, I tried to pick a private landlord, not an apartment complex. Private landlords tend to be more flexible and not charge insane pet fees.
I found the exact opposite for myself. My private owner is the one that charged me $500 of all the apt complexes I rented from the most I was ever charged was $250.... I guess it depends where you live too

Old 10-31-2007, 08:02 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,017,961 times
In California there is no such thing as a "non-refundable deposit". Period. They can use the deposit for damages the pet did, tho, but it is refundable. I'm sure all States are different.

I just charge $50 per animal and tack it on to their security deposit.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
In California there is no such thing as a "non-refundable deposit". Period. They can use the deposit for damages the pet did, tho, but it is refundable. I'm sure all States are different.

I just charge $50 per animal and tack it on to their security deposit.
Hopefully, there's more landlords like you then!!

Old 10-31-2007, 10:48 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
I rent from a private landlord; she charged me $150 per pet (100% refundable) and no pet rent which is much less than what the corporation-owned complexes were offering. I thought it was very reasonable.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:35 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
At the big corporate complex I lived in in Dallas (AMLI), I believe they charged $250 per cat but no rent. I've never heard of pet rent. I got my whole deposit back too, even though they ruined the blinds. I was shocked. I guess it's because I lived there 3 years.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:19 PM

Anyone else feel that it's better to go private landlords verse corporate complex?? Some private landlords also actually go with a coporate company that helps them find renters too. Any thoughts on that?

Old 10-31-2007, 12:46 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
At the big corporate complex I lived in in Dallas (AMLI), I believe they charged $250 per cat but no rent. I've never heard of pet rent. I got my whole deposit back too, even though they ruined the blinds. I was shocked. I guess it's because I lived there 3 years.
AMLI has a pretty bad rep for the condition of their units, though. Maybe that's why!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting