Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 07:43 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
Of course none of us have seen the lease, but I think it would be a first for many of us if you could break it due to the fact that your furniture can't be moved in.

I would ask the landlord how this has been dealt with in the past, but I would also, based upon what you said, get some new furniture. Good luck.
You can't break a lease because your furniture won't fit through the door! The person who is renting has to make the decision prior to signing a lease. I once moved to a place and we had a h**l of a time getting my 8 foot couch into the building. Couldn't get it in the elevator, but we ended up going through a back entrance/exit and constantly had to shift it around. I was ready to get rid of it. But we made it. Whew

Good luck - it'll work out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 06:31 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casperboy77 View Post
I met a girl online that lives about 50 miles from me. After quite a while we decided to move in togeather but we both have jobs near where we live. We decided to find an apartment in between us. We found an apartment we fell in love with. The landlord seems awesome. We paid our down payment and our security deposit and signed a 1 year lease. We don't move in until November but the landlord said we can start taking stuff over and put the things in a couple of rooms he has finished. Earlier today I decide to take over my couch and love seat. They are normal size and only a few months old. Well there we quite a few of us attempting to do this I might add. The love seat went in. The couch won't. The door openings are 29 inches wide and at the top of the stairs you have to make a sharp left. It is an older house and the ceiling is also a bit lower. My issue is that it is impossible to get my couch in this apartment with out destroying it. There are no windows large enough nor alternate enterances. I also have a dresser the same size as the couch plus two fullsize beds that need to go in there. The box springs are not flexable. The landlord has rented this apartment out before so I am hoping he will have a solution. He never mentioned anything about any issues with getting things into the apartment. And we did mention where we were going to have the couch and stuff. My question is if it turns out we cannot get out stuff into the apartment can we get out of the lease and get our money back? I am kind of a suburban person I have never encountered an apartment with this type of problem. The place we are moving into is an older place out in the country. When looking at the apartment I never would have even thought to look and see if the doorways would be an issue getting stuff in and out. Anyone have any ideas and suggestions? I can't get rid of all of my furnature. So it either has to go into this apartment or we can't move there. But I am wondering what the heck I do If I can't move in there? Thanks for any advice.
You can take the hinges off the door and remove the door to see if that works. Otherwise, I would just suggest getting a new couch on craigslist or something.

Greenie

Old 01-01-2017, 04:20 AM

1 posts, read 943 times
I have a similar problem. My daughter signed a lease in the morning and by 2 pm we realized her Box spring and new couch could not fit in the apartment. The stairway ceilings were not tall enough to stand up the couch or box spring. We called the landlord to try to get out of the the 1 year lease but she only said that other people always managed to get their stuff in. The lease was only 6 hours old and they would not break it. (It seems that their should be an assumption when signing a lease, that your normal size furniture should fit.)

Old 01-01-2017, 05:00 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelh View Post
I have a similar problem. My daughter signed a lease in the morning and by 2 pm we realized her Box spring and new couch could not fit in the apartment. The stairway ceilings were not tall enough to stand up the couch or box spring. We called the landlord to try to get out of the the 1 year lease but she only said that other people always managed to get their stuff in. The lease was only 6 hours old and they would not break it. (It seems that their should be an assumption when signing a lease, that your normal size furniture should fit.)
Sadly there is no buyer's remorse law on rental leases. If the hallways are tight it means it's an older building so people have been figuring out a way to move stuff in for decades. Box springs can be cut and folded then reassembled pretty easily. Or they make them in parts already to be assembled in the room, that's what my king box spring is. As for the couch you might be able to get some help online to hoist is up to a balcony if there is a larger door there otherwise hire a mover to get it inside. There is always a way.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:05 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
....... (It seems that their should be an assumption when signing a lease, that your normal size furniture should fit.)
No, it is the assumption when you sign the lease that you have looked at the unit and decided whether or not you can get your furniture inside. The landlord hasn't seen your furniture. It isn't the landlord's job to know how to get your belongings inside.

It's very routine for applicants to look at a bedroom and ask me if the double bed will fit. I can tell them what size beds have been in there in the past, but it is not up to me to arrange their furniture. Point being that the majority of other tenants are mentally arranging their furniture when they are looking at places to rent.

If it never occurred to you to think about fitting your furniture in, that's on you not on the landlord. If you don't have enough spacial acuity to tell whether a room is small or not, carry a tape measure while you are shopping-- and yes, I have had a few applicants who brought a tape measure to measure room sizes when they owned large or odd shaped furniture.

You can always get out of a lease. The only question is how much it will cost you. No, not on any state is it a get-out-of-lease-free card if your furniture doesn't fit.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:46 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,233,524 times
Its furniture. Sell it and buy something else. You arent married to it. Whats more important, the apartment, or a couch?

Old 01-01-2017, 12:28 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
We are renovating the house we bought this year. We have two doors that are only 24 inches wide. Master bath and master closet. We will replace with 30 inch frames/doors.

House was built in 2002 so It's not that old.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:04 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Chainsaw + Gorilla Tape = win

Old 01-01-2017, 05:32 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
We are renovating the house we bought this year. We have two doors that are only 24 inches wide. Master bath and master closet. We will replace with 30 inch frames/doors.

House was built in 2002 so It's not that old.
Are you required to by code as part of the renovation? I'm not sure what larger piece of furniture you need to fit into either....

my basement opening is 27"..we literally removed the molding to get a slim refrigerator down there.

Old 01-02-2017, 04:40 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
too bad so sad...next time measure the rooms and door ways before you sign anything..that's kinda common knowledge..no??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting