Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 10:51 PM

1 posts, read 6,334 times

Advertisements

I met a girl online that lives about 50 miles from me. After quite a while we decided to move in togeather but we both have jobs near where we live. We decided to find an apartment in between us. We found an apartment we fell in love with. The landlord seems awesome. We paid our down payment and our security deposit and signed a 1 year lease. We don't move in until November but the landlord said we can start taking stuff over and put the things in a couple of rooms he has finished. Earlier today I decide to take over my couch and love seat. They are normal size and only a few months old. Well there we quite a few of us attempting to do this I might add. The love seat went in. The couch won't. The door openings are 29 inches wide and at the top of the stairs you have to make a sharp left. It is an older house and the ceiling is also a bit lower. My issue is that it is impossible to get my couch in this apartment with out destroying it. There are no windows large enough nor alternate enterances. I also have a dresser the same size as the couch plus two fullsize beds that need to go in there. The box springs are not flexable. The landlord has rented this apartment out before so I am hoping he will have a solution. He never mentioned anything about any issues with getting things into the apartment. And we did mention where we were going to have the couch and stuff. My question is if it turns out we cannot get out stuff into the apartment can we get out of the lease and get our money back? I am kind of a suburban person I have never encountered an apartment with this type of problem. The place we are moving into is an older place out in the country. When looking at the apartment I never would have even thought to look and see if the doorways would be an issue getting stuff in and out. Anyone have any ideas and suggestions? I can't get rid of all of my furnature. So it either has to go into this apartment or we can't move there. But I am wondering what the heck I do If I can't move in there? Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 11:57 PM

251 posts, read 1,313,011 times
Did you try taking the couch apart?
I have never heard furniture not fitting being grounds to break a lease????

Old 10-29-2007, 04:52 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
You realize that if you really want out you will be on the hook for the unit's rent and advertising costs until the owner starts collecting rent from a new tenant.

Many Older homes have 30 inch doors with 29 inches through the door jambs. Homes with 24 inch doors are also out there.

Good Luck

Old 10-29-2007, 08:03 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,151,534 times
It's your responsibility to make sure the furniture will fit in the unit; in Texas at least you'd be SOL.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:12 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,244,197 times
Have you tried standing the couch up on its end? We have had to stand things up to get around corners & through doors. I have yet to come across something that wouldn't go, you just have to find the right direction to take it. My husband calls it being smarter than the furniture. It always p i s s e s me off when he says it, but he is always right.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:11 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,551,536 times
THIS type of situation are what they make chain saws for.

Next problem?

Old 10-29-2007, 12:15 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,068,242 times
Time to divorce your furniture. Cram in the stuff you can, take the rest to goodwill while you still have the truck. Tax writeoff. Go find some awesome smaller furniture. Or leave your place underfurnished

Spartan is the new black.

I don't think furniture not fitting is grounds for breaking a lease in any state. Sucks, but that's what measuring tapes are for. You can always rent a storage unit if you just can't part with it (right away).

Old 10-29-2007, 05:25 PM

791 posts, read 2,223,689 times
I've moved a lot and learned a few lessons. My principle guideline...

If I can't move it myself I don't want it.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:59 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,679,904 times
My couch was a tight fit but I got it in by covering it with a heavy blanket and forcing it. I had to take the door off the hing first though. If you have a sliding glass door then you can take that off as well.

A really good apartment with a good landlord is very hard to find. If it's a nice place to move to then I'd get rid the the couch in an instant.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:41 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,292,670 times
Of course none of us have seen the lease, but I think it would be a first for many of us if you could break it due to the fact that your furniture can't be moved in.

I would ask the landlord how this has been dealt with in the past, but I would also, based upon what you said, get some new furniture. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting