Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 12:58 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I sent slumlord a written reply refusing to play his little blackmail game of "gimmee $53.75 NOW, biatch or else give 30 day's notice" and telling him that I chose "none of the above."

Thanks for any advise!
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
^^^ He's on Section 8 and must talk to his representative for advice and guidance.
I agree!

Definitelytalk to the Section 8 people. I'm not sure about Colorado but in many states giving you notice to vacate because you refused to pay a bill that you had no obligation to pay, would would be considered extortion and punitive effort by the landlord. Chances are the eviction court judge would not look kindly on the landlords behavior. And I'm sure the Section 8 counselors will not either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 05:50 PM

10 posts, read 20,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Move out by the date indicate on the 'notice to vacate'. If you don't, and he does get a formal eviction thru the courts, you will have a helluva time finding a rental.

You can't delay this move..you're on a month to month, he gave you legal notice.

As for your deposit, make sure that unit is as clean as you possibly can make it. If he doesn't return your deposit according to your state's landlord/tenant laws, take him to court and sue for your deposit.
Kim you sound like a landlord yourself. It's always those landlord who post on here or give advice to just give your home up, don't fight it.
Not fair.
I wonder how long he has lived in this apartment?

Old 09-21-2013, 07:20 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm guessing that we now have one more landlord who will refuse to accept Section 8 vouchers, thanks to his experience with the OP.

Section 8 will provide lawyers to fight evictions in some areas of the country (I'm thinking in all areas, but don't know that as a fact)

This landlord has allowed OP to live there for hundreds under market rate (according to OP) and for thanks he ends up in court, trying to get his house back. I'm not seeing him allowing Section 8 again after this experience.

So, all you folks with Section8 vouchers who can't find a place to rent, you can give thanks to the OP and people like her.
If said landlord cannot follow the laws and Section 8 guidelines, he should not be renting to anyone. That, of course, has yet to be determined.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:38 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perspectively Speaking View Post
Kim you sound like a landlord yourself. It's always those landlord who post on here or give advice to just give your home up, don't fight it.
Not fair.
Nope, not a landlord and stand by what I said.

When your landlord presents you with a (legal) notice to vacate, you have two options: a) leave peacefully without burning bridges or b) sit tight and wait for the court ordered eviction to be delivered and then cry in your soup about how no one will rent to you with an eviction on your record.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:06 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,516,077 times
Quote:
Not fair.
Umm yeah. I am a landlord, only one property, my house. Its MY house, I lived there for 3 years. Its MY home, its not your home. I let you use MY home for money and with the understanding that you keep it as nice as it was when you moved in. And with the understand that you know its NOT YOUR house. It's mine. If you rent, its never, never, ever YOURS.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:25 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,669,291 times
Quote:
Nope, not a landlord and stand by what I said.

When your landlord presents you with a (legal) notice to vacate, you have two options: a) leave peacefully without burning bridges or b) sit tight and wait for the court ordered eviction to be delivered and then cry in your soup about how no one will rent to you with an eviction on your record.
Quote:
Not fair.
Kim is a property manager, however unless her section 8 lease has a clause prohibiting notice for no cause, what else is there to do? She appears to have received a valid notice to vacate.
The best thing to do is to consult with Section8

Old 09-22-2013, 08:20 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Kim is a property manager, however unless her section 8 lease has a clause prohibiting notice for no cause, what else is there to do? She appears to have received a valid notice to vacate.
The best thing to do is to consult with Section8

Wrong!! Kim is NOT a property manager or a landlord! Where do you come up with this stuff?

Back to the topic at hand, that I know of the OP has not back to the thread to update us. Hopefully they will come and get us all up to speed.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Wrong!! Kim is NOT a property manager or a landlord! Where do you come up with this stuff?

Back to the topic at hand, that I know of the OP has not back to the thread to update us. Hopefully they will come and get us all up to speed.

//www.city-data.com/forum/renti...l#post27165108

Quote:
I am not a property manager. I own a rental home in the West Indies..stateside rules don't apply.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:44 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
What's your point? Are you disputing that KiminFl is a landlord because she owns a rental property in the West Indies? Simply because one happens to own a rental property does not make one either a landlord or a property manager.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
What's your point? Are you disputing that KiminFl is a landlord because she owns a rental property in the West Indies? Simply because one happens to own a rental property does not make one either a landlord or a property manager.
Landlord | Define Landlord at Dictionary.com
"A person or organization that owns and leases property to others. "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting