Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2013, 01:41 AM

1 posts, read 9,441 times

Advertisements

I live at the same property as my landlady, in the back house, with a partition that separates my lawn from hers. Aside from attempted threats of violence by her crazy live-in boyfriend who mooches off her, he/they have CONSISTENTLY violated my rights to privacy by moving or removing things I had stored (reasonably) in my yard, without notice, or even asking for permission. He has THROWN literally my garbage cans all over the place after I leave them for pickup, even after I confronted him SEVERAL times to tell him to STOP IT.

I've had to call the police a few times, but they don't know jack about tenant laws and refuse to make any arrests.

I sent her an email awhile back stating I DO NOT consent to any unannounced visits to my lawn or house unless there's an actual reason to be there.

The abuse has continued regardless. In addition, they have been guilty of things such as leaving their LOUD barking dog out far too long past what animal control says is legal or even REMOTELY respectful, in addition to making IMPOSSIBLY loud noise "power washing their concrete" right outside my house for HOURS on end lately for DAYS in a row without notice, and WAY beyond what is acceptable. It is killing my sleep, and making it impossible to enjoy my house "quietly".

I plan on suing them when I leave for constructive eviction, b/c it's been agreed upon to let me break the lease early if she can find someone else to take the place b/c I'm just tired of this crap and it's effecting my health at this point (stress, etc.).

I want to know what I can and should do to STOP this abuse, to STOP them from trespassing in MY side of the lawn, to STOP the RIDICULOUSLY intrucive noise, and what I should sue them for specifically and how I should do it.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 06:05 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
You can't turn around and sue them for constructive eviction when you've agreed to an early termination and in fact in my opinion you really have nothing to sue for. The police have seen no cause to intervene and I assume you haven't registered a complaint with animal control. Given that you've been offered a fair way out of your lease maybe you can work with your landlady to find a new tenant so you can move quickly.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:32 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
STT is being very polite to you. I think you sound like the tenant from hell.

What I got from your post, is that you leave crap out in the yard, and the LL doesn't like looking at it. Your LL obviously cares about the property, if they are power washing things.

A barking dog, and a power washer are not grounds for constructive eviction.

Somehow I have a hard time picturing someone throwing your garbage cans around. Are you sure that's not the way the garbage men leave them?

At any rate, just move. And be nice about letting the LL show the apt, so you can get out quickly.

If I'm wrong, and they're making their dog bark on purpose, and power washing strictly to annoy you and disturb your sleep - they power wash in the middle of the night? - I apologize.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:33 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
My opinion is that they are going to be very glad to see you go.

If you apply to rent from me, I sure hope your current landlords will be honest about you if I call to check your references

Old 08-24-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
My opinion is that they are going to be very glad to see you go.

If you apply to rent from me, I sure hope your current landlords will be honest about you if I call to check your references

Old 08-24-2013, 10:31 PM

Hey, prove us wrong. More power to ya.

Old 04-22-2018, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,063 times
My land lord came and posted a 3 day notice. I have been late since November due to three times in hospital with kidney failure . I am not far behind but i am out 17 days when he left notice. but when he left notice to pay he went onto the lawn and posted a for rent sign. I came out side not knowing this and when i saw him in his car . he said rents late, i put for rent sign on property. I told him that's not nice and to remove it. This same land lord did a bait and switch on me when i rented. He had sign on street for 1550 rent and after i called him, gave deposit, and put my stuff in storage and notice to current landlord, i went to his office to sign. I did not notice that he change the words in the lease. "rent is 1650 unless paid befor the first of the month.

Old 04-22-2018, 02:35 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by american3351 View Post
My land lord came and posted a 3 day notice. I have been late since November due to three times in hospital with kidney failure . I am not far behind but i am out 17 days when he left notice. but when he left notice to pay he went onto the lawn and posted a for rent sign. I came out side not knowing this and when i saw him in his car . he said rents late, i put for rent sign on property. I told him that's not nice and to remove it. This same land lord did a bait and switch on me when i rented. He had sign on street for 1550 rent and after i called him, gave deposit, and put my stuff in storage and notice to current landlord, i went to his office to sign. I did not notice that he change the words in the lease. "rent is 1650 unless paid befor the first of the month.
First, sorry to hear you've been sick. Do you have a current lease? What is the location? When you got sick did you try to arrange anything about covering your rent? Have you caught up? Its been 4 months. Check to see if there is a minimum on notices to vacate that applies to your area. It varies. If you don't have a lease, he could still decide he wants a different tenant, and he can start advertising that the place will be available after you move.

As for the "bait and switch", you admit you didn't notice the change in the terms, but you took the rental anyway. Your decision.

Old 04-22-2018, 03:26 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
OP sounds much like another poster w/Free in the user name - second poster......... why didn't you pay the rent (you were able to go outside apparently

Old 04-24-2018, 09:09 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
Either pay up the entire rent and ask to be allowed to stay, or pay up the entire rent and make plans to move. Sorry you're sick, sorry you don't like him advertising for a tenant who pays the rent on time, sorry you don't like the wording of the contract that applies a $100 penalty for paying late. Solution: pay your rent early, every month, save $100/month, and save yourself the grief of an eviction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting