Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 04:07 PM

106,894 posts, read 109,156,575 times

Advertisements

if freemkt thought his bizzare logic was going to find supporters here that thought was as bizarre as his logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 04:06 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,505,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
You can call LL's greedy or not, your choice. I am a landlord and really have little interest in your feelings about me.

You certainly do have the right to purchase a home, tiny or otherwise. And, in fact, www.hudhomestore.com has houses in just about every price range. Preference is given to owner occupants and favorable buying terms are available only to buyers that want to live in their homes.

To buy a house -- tiny or otherwise -- you need a steady paycheck and a history that shows you pay your bills. You can be a burger flipper, a shoe shine laborer, a retail clerk or an astronaut. You simply need a record that reflects the willingness to earn a living and pay your bills.

??? How do I have the right to purchase a home? I once rented a guest house and when the owners moved out of the area, they put the property up for sale. I tried to buy the guest house and the owners were willing but the lot could not be split and I couldn't afford to buy the entire lot and the two houses on it. Every zoning code I've seen - and that's quite a few - considers a guest house an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) and specifically prohibits segregation of ownership. Minimum lot sizes have long served as exclusionary tools to prevent the economically unwanted from buying homes.

In general, homes that poor people could afford to buy are legally precluded from being sold - they are legal to rent but not to buy. I believe in buying only what I can afford, but property owners are not allowed to sell me what I can afford. If the cheapest house is priced at $100K, no burger flipper is going to be able to buy it.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
Whooohooo! Lets blame all of our current problems on our parents! At some point its all YOU. You can choose to overcome past obstacles and work your damndest to catch up, or you can complain about how unfair life is on a forum. From that sentence above you've already set yourself up for failure, made a big ol excuse for yourself didn't you?

Are you able bodied? Are YOU a druggie or an alcoholic? You obviously have a brain, and can type since you accomplished the above and with a nice big word "sequentially". Sounds to me like you're the only thing standing in your way right now, you and your preconceived notion about how you think all 85ish years of your life will turn out. If there is a will, there IS a way. But you have to have the will first instead of playing the "my research says" victim game.

There are VERY few people who had a great childhood. Everyone has a story.

Actually, I'm not able bodied or maybe I'm temporarily able bodied, I have an obscure neurological problem that is expected to ultimately kill me, although I'm still able and working. Having a time clock ticking gets in the way of planning, a five-year plan seems like a waste if you don't live that long. So no, I'm not expected to live close to 85 years. And I'm not a druggie or alcoholic but effectively I am a social cripple. I was traumatized at a very early age and have never fully recovered. I've been told that I did not talk until I was four. How messed up is that? Since I lack marketable skills, I'm not in a position to make enough money to throw at my problems in order to resolve them. I have to do everything myself, the hard way.

I'm guessing you don't know much about people who are raised by alcoholics.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
That's your choice. Information about how money works and how to earn it is readily available out there and it is free in many locations.

You can passively float through life making excuses and rationalizations about how nothing is your fault, or you can put some effort in and learn how it all works and then go for it and improve your lot in life.

Your options for escape are entirely up to you.

??? I've taken quite a few of those so-called financial literacy tests and the tests seem to suggest I am fairly knowledgeable (above average) about how money works. Which can be fairly useless if you don't have any money to work with.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Nah,i don't believe that to be true for many at all. Those that want out will find away..

I can go on and on with hardship stories of quite successful people i have known.

The only think seperating themselves from you is drive,motivation and creativity.

I've come up with some creative ideas for owning a home, but housing and building codes got in the way.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
No, I'm saying that no one (including the govt) owes you anything. You want to own a home? Save some money and buy a home. It's really that simple. People do it all the time.

Sadly, I dont' think you'll be a homeowner anytime soon; it involves work and effort on your part, I can tell you aren't willing to do anything above bare minimum.

If I can't afford a McMansion on 1/4 acre, why shouldn't I have the option of buying a tiny home on 2,500 sq feet? Perhaps you have no problem using zoning to keep people with less money than you from buying a home? Are property rights for all Americans, or only for your economic peers?

Old 09-19-2013, 04:48 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,063,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
If I can't afford a McMansion on 1/4 acre, why shouldn't I have the option of buying a tiny home on 2,500 sq feet? Perhaps you have no problem using zoning to keep people with less money than you from buying a home? Are property rights for all Americans, or only for your economic peers?

Then buy a smaller, cheaper home. Stop trying to buying guest houses that can't be legally sold. Why do you think the govt (and it's laws)have to bend for you? They don't.

As for talking at age four...that's very common..you're not that special..sorry.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:26 AM

106,894 posts, read 109,156,575 times
Quote:
in nyc we call it a co-op

Old 09-19-2013, 06:27 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,525,935 times
Quote:
Actually, I'm not able bodied or maybe I'm tempor. I saidily able bodied, I have an obscure neurological problem that is expected to ultimately kill me, although I'm still able and working. Having a time clock ticking gets in the way of planning, a five-year plan seems like a waste if you don't live that long. So no, I'm not expected to live close to 85 years. And I'm not a druggie or alcoholic but effectively I am a social cripple. I was traumatized at a very early age and have never fully recovered. I've been told that I did not talk until I was four. How messed up is that? Since I lack marketable skills, I'm not in a position to make enough money to throw at my problems in order to resolve them. I have to do everything myself, the hard way.

I'm guessing you don't know much about people who are raised by alcoholics.
Yeah and I just knew there would be a nice piece of fiction to go with the wine.

I do know people raised by alcoholics, and they don't whine on forums, their too busy. As for the rest of it your pattern here is that of other whine posters, most likely fiction since you don't care for dealing with reality.

You and those like you come on these forums just whining and complaining away, if you really had some "obscure neurological condition" and the rest of it, preventing you from working effectively you'd say so up front, not story it in later in an attempt at a guilt trip.

And I have news for you, we're all social cripples in one way or another. Everyone has a story, 99% of us have to do things ourselves, the hard way, I bought a 90k fixer upper house with minimal money. When I had less I rented rooms, and did not complain about it. And worked and spent my time in the internet, when it became available, taking free courses. I have physical conditions that make my future quality of life uncertain at best, and we could all get hit by trucks today making anything we previously did a total waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting