Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 01:45 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times

Advertisements

My apartment manager requires a 30-day notice when I plan to move. I found a place where I want to rent but the apartment won't be ready for me to view until November 18th (current tenants move out on November 7th). My lease expires December 1st so I'd have to do the 30-day notice on November 1st. I asked my apartment manager what happens if for some reason, I am unable to move into the new place (ex: not happy with the unit or unit not ready) and she stated that I had to vacate after the 30 days. The new place where I'm relocating to allows tenants to cancel their 30 day notice so it is possible that the current tenants could cancel their 30 day notice and I won't have anywhere to go. Because of this dilemma, I'd have to wait until November 18th (or whenever I can view the unit) THEN give my 30 day but I'll have to pay pro-rated rent in December, which could be around 500 ... That is a lot of money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 02:57 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I'd have to wait until November 18th (or whenever I can view the unit) THEN give my 30 day but I'll have to pay pro-rated rent in December, which could be around 500 ... That is a lot of money
I would do the $500 and give notice on Nov 18. Are you sure the new apartment will allow you in to view the unit on November 18th or will they require time to cleanup before showing it to you?

Paying $500 prorated for part of December sure beats having no place to go if the first place falls through. The fact that your current landlord allows proprated rent for December is excellent. Many places would require you pay rent for all of December.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I would do the $500 and give notice on Nov 18. Are you sure the new apartment will allow you in to view the unit on November 18th or will they require time to cleanup before showing it to you?

Paying $500 prorated for part of December sure beats having no place to go if the first place falls through. The fact that your current landlord allows proprated rent for December is excellent. Many places would require you pay rent for all of December.
I guess I better verify that they would only allow me to pay pro-rated ... Would hate to pay the entire month The tenants are moving out November 7th and Nov 18th is the day that the manager says it'll be ready to view.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:26 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Yep, it will be your problem and responsibility to move into temporary quarters if you have to and put your stuff in storage if you cannot move out and into the new place. If your new landlord has a tenant ready to move into your place, you could owe him damages if you do not move out when promised.

If your new landlord signs a lease with you promising you can move in Dec. 1st and they cannot deliver, then you would be justified to sue them in small claims court for your damages.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:24 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Since your current landlord is being such a peach, I think you better wait to give your notice until you have a signed contract with the new place.

Just to keep in mind, once you move out, you can't be evicted. So, let's say you give your notice on Nov 18th (after you get a signed contract on the new place). You go ahead and clean the place like crazy, take photos and move out before December 1st.

You will owe rent until Dec 18th, but now the landlord will take it out of your security deposit.

Yes, you're still out the money, but not up front.

If, however, your current landlord is able to rent your current place before Dec 18th, they can't charge you rent for that time frame. Say you move out November 20th, and they rent the place Dec 1st. You are now off the hook for the rent to Dec. 18th.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:01 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,361,909 times
If they move out and then just don't pay any rent for December, the landlord can come after them for unpaid rent. Yes, they can take it out of the deposit, but its not going to get them a good reference in the future if they need one.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
If they move out and then just don't pay any rent for December, the landlord can come after them for unpaid rent. Yes, they can take it out of the deposit, but its not going to get them a good reference in the future if they need one.
Yeah ... I prefer not to burn any bridges as I have no idea how long I plan to stay at the new complex.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:12 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Since your current landlord is being such a peach, I think you better wait to give your notice until you have a signed contract with the new place.

Just to keep in mind, once you move out, you can't be evicted. So, let's say you give your notice on Nov 18th (after you get a signed contract on the new place). You go ahead and clean the place like crazy, take photos and move out before December 1st.

You will owe rent until Dec 18th, but now the landlord will take it out of your security deposit.

Yes, you're still out the money, but not up front.

If, however, your current landlord is able to rent your current place before Dec 18th, they can't charge you rent for that time frame. Say you move out November 20th, and they rent the place Dec 1st. You are now off the hook for the rent to Dec. 18th.

Would you have issues renting to a person that did this to their last landlord and now wanted to rent from you?

Landlord being a 'peach' and the legal 30 day notice have nothing to do with other. If the law says 30days, you give 30 days. And while they can't be evicted, they most certainly can be sued by the landlord and possibly end up with a judgment on their record.

Would you rent to someone who was sued by their last landlord and had a current and open judgment?

Old 10-20-2013, 08:46 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
OP, it would be very risky to give notice because you hope you are going to be given a new place.

Something could go wrong. The current tenants might change their minds and not move. The landlord might discover that there are more extensive repairs needed that are going to take a lot more time to get the unit ready for you to move in.

Do you even have a signed lease for the new place? The landlord could change his mind and give it to someone else. Point being, you don't actually have a place to move to at this time.

You are in California and California is a literal 30 day state. Notice starts when given and the 30 days are up 30 days from then. Some states, the 30 day notice must include a full rental period. That is not the case in California.

Look on the bright side. With a 2 week overlap, you will have a leisurely move and will have time to deep scrub the unit you are leaving, to get your deposit back.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:52 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Separate issue on extensions for the 30 day notice: A 30 day notice must have a firm move-out date. It is not a notice that the tenant will move out some time later in the fall and intends to give the landlord a week to week update on when that date will be.

If one of my tenants is moving out, I have things that must be scheduled and they are scheduled around the date I have been given. So, in my rentals, once you give your 30 day notice, you must move out.

I've seen several tenants who don't know when they will be moving and they start giving their 30 day notice and then keep putting the date off, and think that thereby, they can get out of paying their last 30 days rent.

They think they can call and say "Hey, I'm out tomorrow and don't expect me to pay for the notice period because I gave you my 30 day notice 5 months ago, but didn't move out then". Sorry, tenant, doesn't work that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting