Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 01:51 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,752,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Thanks. Good advice. Follow up emails is good. I would like to work with her, however, if things start falling apart more, or I notice any health issues springing up, (I mean serious, not a flu), I will take it further. Or, if she decides to take another year to do anything...I'm not too fond of that, either. I pay decent money to live here, I should be getting what I paid for.

And, nice try with your sunshine and palm trees, but after living in Miami for so long, I'll take the snow.
I hope it works out for you. I'm simply not an advocate of going to court or filing complaints with jurisdictional entities before all other real attempts have been made to quietly and civilly deal with the landlord.

No "nice try" intended. But Miami? I've been there several times, have also traveled through FLA generally and there is no comparison to be made at all. Two entirely very different places even where weather is concerned. Apples and oranges!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 03:29 PM

30,290 posts, read 23,777,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
All that ice proves is that your side has NO insulation & is not properly sealed! Who pays the Heat? IF its you add that to your list of complaints! And her saying she had problems in the past ... well that says it all! Start saving now & move ASAP! She being Nice cause she don't want to lose a sucker not that she cares about the property or you as a person.
Actually, she's been trying to sell...for quite awhile. She knows that she's in over her head. Anyway, her property manager came over and fixed the hinge. We then spent about 30 minutes beating the ice out of the door frames. That was so. much. fun. /sarc

We almost had it all the way closed when he decided that it wouldn't close, he would contact her and tell her that I need a new door.

No. What I need is for the fricken roof to be fixed, properly. Katie, I talked to someone I know here where I live, and they said the exact same thing as you about insulation.

I do not pay the heat, thankfully. It is one of the reasons I chose this place. Heat is expensive, I've heard, in this area, (this place uses oil....who knows why anyone used oil...it's never been cheap as long as I've been alive), so when I was looking, I looked for places that had heat included. But I certainly drove the point home when I talked to her on the phone today that not only was this about my safety, (I said that a few times), it was also about losing heat. That apparently, quite a bit of heat was being lost and that must be costing her a bundle.

Anyway, after the property manager left, I decided to keep banging away at the little bits of ice left to get that door closed, because I am stubborn. I spent another 10 minutes or so, and I have had success. It closes and locks. Finally. Good thing because my neighbor told me it's going to get really cold tonight.

Now, after the New Year, I'll be having another talk with the landlord and see what she has planned for fixes on the rest of the joint. Clearly something is not fixed the right way, and she needs to just bite the bullet and invest in getting it done, correctly, once and for all.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:46 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times
Does you LL have Stupid on her forehead? She sure needs it! Who is going to buy a problem. Anyone riding by can see it not a fit place to live. Yes buyers will drive around in this weather to check things out. IF she really want to sell she needs to put money into fixing it up. It needs more than a new roof. It needs new frames/casings for the windows & doors. Totally insulated ceilings & walls..& this is just what I see from you pic! I betting an onsite inspection would find more problems. You should add contacting the building inspector to the list. Not just for you but to warn & have a public record of the work needing done.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:02 PM

I'm starting to get irritated now. I had my one bucket under the leak in the kitchen ceiling. I fell asleep for a few hours, on accident. When I woke up, (this was about 4 hours sleep), I went downstairs to the kitchen and now it's leaking in four spots. Not only that, the drips are coming much, much faster than they were. I had to mop the kitchen floor because the water from these new leaks had accumulated, causing a mess.

I'm not going to give her much time to do something here. I am not going to live like this all winter.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:23 AM

I hope you took pictures! At one time my boss lived in an apt with a linking roof. I went into the kitchen to cook her lunch & was 1/2 way down the hall to her bedroom when we both heard a crash! I took her the food but she got up & we Both went to look. The WHOLE Kitchen ceiling had fell in!!!! Gave me shivers to think I could have been under it! The clean up [yes I had to clean up the mess] was Nasty Dead Birds & old nests & Bird droppings mice Dead & Alive! Rat/mice poo YECK!! Anyway You must report this to some one Health dept? And Please find a place to live she should let you move & refund your full deposit... at least that's what my bosses LL did! Staying at this points is DANGEROUS!

Old 01-01-2014, 03:17 AM

And now there is leaking from the light fixture area. I can't even use my fricken lights in the kitchen. I'm starting to get pissed. I just wrote her an email, and I will call her today as well, I don't care if it's a holiday. I now have five leaks from the kitchen ceiling, and they are leaking much faster than they were yesterday.

Also, even though I did manage to get the door closed, and all the windows are closed, the downstairs is freezing. It's fricken cold as hell. I have the heat turned up to 75, but the thermostat reads 50. I'm getting really, really annoyed now, especially when I know that she knew this was a problem in the past. That means, this was a problem longer than I've lived here, (two and a half years), because this is the first winter I've experienced it.

I did take photos, I put them on the other page. I will take photos of all of these new leaks, as well. I'm stressing out too because my pets like to wander around in the kitchen and I've been yelling at them to get out. I don't trust this ceiling...and man, if that thing crashes in....we are going to have a serious problem. I don't have another place to go.

She needs to stop her hmming and hawwwing and get someone out here NOW!

Old 01-01-2014, 03:49 AM

Call her at this point she should put you up in a hotel... her ins might even cover it. Do you have renters ins...that would help you also. Worst come to worse call the red cross. IF they cant then they can tell you who can. Just see if you can get out ASAP. Don't forget to take your pets!!

Old 01-01-2014, 04:22 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,049,696 times
[quote=STT Resident;32816992]I hope it works out for you. I'm simply not an advocate of going to court or filing complaints with jurisdictional entities before all other real attempts have been made to quietly and civilly deal with the landlord.

No "nice try" intended. But Miami? I've been there several times, have also traveled through FLA generally and there is no comparison to be made at all. Two entirely very different places even where weather is concerned. Apples and oranges![/quote]
\

Have to agree with this 100%....I live in S Florida and also have a home in the Islands.....Florida doesn't even come close. I'm stateside at the moment, but will be on island time in a couple of weeks..can't wait!! \

Too stay on topic...I agree that you really need to work this out with your landlord first (or at least try to) before heading to court. Also, give her time to get repairmen together and to get the materials and whatnot.

As for damages to your belongings (can't remember if you mentioned any or not) but contact your rental ins agent and let them advise you.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:11 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,950,244 times
Stop being so nice .. call the city inspector and get this taken care of asap.. I saw those pictures .. theres water in the walls bad and its warming on the inside and seeping out the outside .. the odd pink looking color is from wet insulation and water saturated wood..
a new door isnt going to fix any thing really .. the WHOLE frame and everything around it needs fixed .. .. I say there is no flashing somewhere along the top of the roofline .. and water is getting in .. . ::sighs:: this isnt good .. I am betting that futher up the roof theres a hole and the wet is making its way down the walls and into your kitchen ..
========================
looking at the close ups the paint ios peeling and the exposed wood looks water logged .. and if any of you look at the siding the water is seeping and running out under the siding boards .. this is a long term problem you havent noticed it before because it had to build up after she had a fix applied few yars back.. sorry .. this IS a mess for both LL and Tenant

Last edited by Faworki1947; 01-01-2014 at 06:16 AM.. Reason: added thoughts

Old 01-01-2014, 12:49 PM

She responded to my email and said it was "weather related". I could not immediately respond back because that just made me livid. This is NOT weather related, this is crappy repair job related. If this were "weather related", then all houses would be going through this. They are not. In fact, other portions of this giant house are not going through this, JUST mine. I told her in 2012 that there was a leak. She got someone up there to put a fricken tarp over the stupid area, but did not have anyone come to actually work on fixing the roof for an entire year.

Well, last winter we had a blizzard. We had rain. Do you think a tarp kept all of that water out of the house? I sure as hell don't, and I have always wondered about it. Here we are...my theories were right. I just don't know enough about housing structure to know what to say, so I said nothing at the time.

She wrote back a little later to state that she hasn't found anyone to come over yet, but she's still trying. She wants to have someone come out and knock the ice off of the roof. She says that's about all she can do until it warms up. Well...we'll see. I am trying to work this out with her. It's only been two days, yesterday and today...and it's a holiday which makes things difficult...but, I will NOT live like this the entire winter.

She said that this known problem is she thinks that the "water inside turns to ice, and then the ice gets backed up". When we have a warmer day, and the ice starts to melt, the water comes flooding out of the house. At night, when it gets cold again, the water freezes...hence why I have icicles all over the house, in the house, and massive water leaks. Weather related....no. Just no.

In addition, she needs to have someone come in and check for mold. I'm not going to have my health go to spit because she wants to hire cheap labor. No. This house needs major repairs, and it needs to be inspected. I'm not going to settle until it is. It may sound like I'm being nice right now, but trust me, if this is not done right, there will be no nice. At all. I do, however, need to give her a chance to fix it, do I not? I can't just go marching down and start some suit against her, that's ridiculous. I have to give her a chance. That is the first question I will be asked, "Did you give her a chance to fix the problem".

Anyone want to loan me 10 grand so I can get my car fixed and have the money to just move out of this stupid place? No? Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting