Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 05:04 PM

66 posts, read 214,618 times

Advertisements

Hi I was wondering if anyone here has ever lived in a Victorian Mansion converted into apartments and what your experience was like as far as noise? I am considering moving into an apartment in a Victorian Mansion. There are three other apartments in this building. My apartment would be on the 3rd floor.

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 06:32 PM

206 posts, read 570,816 times
Amazing!

Who would have thunked some one else could share my experience in a Victorian mansion apartment.

Buildings constructed as apartments are usually soundproofed to some extent between apartments.

Sound travels quite easily throughout these old converted buildings.

Combinations of younger and older tenants will not go well.

How about the younger they are, the later they stay up with more "lively" activities.

I could go into more detail but I think you get the message

Unless you are some sort of "voyeur" I would not recommend this type of accomodation.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggjfg View Post
Amazing!

Who would have thunked some one else could share my experience in a Victorian mansion apartment.

Buildings constructed as apartments are usually soundproofed to some extent between apartments.

Sound travels quite easily throughout these old converted buildings.

Combinations of younger and older tenants will not go well.

How about the younger they are, the later they stay up with more "lively" activities.

I could go into more detail but I think you get the message

Unless you are some sort of "voyeur" I would not recommend this type of accomodation.

gggjfg, Thanks so much for sharing your experience and thanks for helping me to understand about how the sounds travel in those kinds of buildings, I don't think I would want to be privy to being a earwitness to any of those lively activities. Message well taken...lol

Old 01-06-2014, 07:00 PM

If you're still here.

I forgot the picture of my Victorian mansion.

No, I'm long gone but I still get "good vibrations" from my one year residency.
Attached Thumbnails
Victorian Mansion and Noisy Neighbors-otego.jpg  

Old 01-06-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
If you're still here.

I forgot the picture of my Victorian mansion.

No, I'm long gone but I still get "good vibrations" from my one year residency.
Wow that's enormous! Were you living on the first floor or the second?

Old 01-06-2014, 09:37 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I lived in a 2nd story apt in a converted old Victorian in Bellingham, WA with my daughter who was about 2 years old at the time. Sound was not an issue.

The funny thing is, that when Mt. St. Helens blew, I thought my landlord (who lived right below me) was banging on the walls because I was playing my stereo as I was getting ready for work that morning. And then I thought, Oh my God, I wonder if that was Mt.St.Helens. I checked the news, and sure enough the banging I heard was actually the mountain blowing it's top.

A neighbor in town said he was shaving and the curtains actually blew in and out of the window.

Anyway, that's what I think of regarding my memory of renting a unit in an old Victorian house. Overall, noise was not an issue.

In fact, as a student before my daughter was born, also in Bellingham, WA, I rented another apt with a roommate in another converted Victorian, and again, don't remember ever hearing others in the bldg.

I loved both of those apts. I love old buildings :-)

Old 01-07-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyrenter99 View Post
Wow that's enormous! Were you living on the first floor or the second?
I was on the second/top floor.

Here is another view to help judge the size of the building.

There are 6, one bedroom, 1200sqft apartments plus the owners on the left end.

I'm sure there are old home conversions that don't transmit sound as well as this one.

But if you're into knowing the most intimate details of your neighbors life, I knew all their friends just by listening to their phone conversations, then this is your ultimate destination
Attached Thumbnails
Victorian Mansion and Noisy Neighbors-otego1.jpg  

Old 01-07-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I lived in a 2nd story apt in a converted old Victorian in Bellingham, WA with my daughter who was about 2 years old at the time. Sound was not an issue.

The funny thing is, that when Mt. St. Helens blew, I thought my landlord (who lived right below me) was banging on the walls because I was playing my stereo as I was getting ready for work that morning. And then I thought, Oh my God, I wonder if that was Mt.St.Helens. I checked the news, and sure enough the banging I heard was actually the mountain blowing it's top.

A neighbor in town said he was shaving and the curtains actually blew in and out of the window.

Anyway, that's what I think of regarding my memory of renting a unit in an old Victorian house. Overall, noise was not an issue.

In fact, as a student before my daughter was born, also in Bellingham, WA, I rented another apt with a roommate in another converted Victorian, and again, don't remember ever hearing others in the bldg.

I loved both of those apts. I love old buildings :-)
Thanks Nomoresnow,

That must have been very scarey with the Volcano erupting. I would have been in a panic.
Yeah, I really like the way this building looks too. Its a victorian conversion. I believe its about 100 years old. It even has the original beautiful stained glass windows. My apartment would be on the top floor (three floors) just wonder how the noise would transfer between apartments.

That must have been a very solid well built Victorian that you lived in. lol Sometimes the older buildings are more sturdy than the newer constructed buildings they have today. I have lived in apartment buildings with horrible insulation but never in a Victorian.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I was on the second/top floor.

Here is another view to help judge the size of the building.

There are 6, one bedroom, 1200sqft apartments plus the owners on the left end.

I'm sure there are old home conversions that don't transmit sound as well as this one.

But if you're into knowing the most intimate details of your neighbors life, I knew all their friends just by listening to their phone conversations, then this is your ultimate destination
Ok it looks smaller from the front. I have lived in places (apartments) where you could hear the toilet flush, simple phone conversations, I could hear my neighbors tv and tell what show they were watching. Even heard the domestic disputes and the make up sessions. lol It was entertaining to say the least.lol.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:26 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyrenter99 View Post
Hi I was wondering if anyone here has ever lived in a Victorian Mansion converted into apartments and what your experience was like as far as noise? I am considering moving into an apartment in a Victorian Mansion. There are three other apartments in this building. My apartment would be on the 3rd floor.

Thank you,
Best advice is to look at it again during peak hours of occupancy - dinner time, weekends, etc. - when people are home and going about their usual routines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting