Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 372 times

Advertisements

I just did it without an issue, after only 3 months. The apartment was expensive for a single person -- I found myself treading water and not saving money towards my goal of eventually buying my own house. The landlord was perfectly understanding, especially with this being peak season (although the apartment had several offers to rent within a few days of posting the ad, before winter was over, when I rented it). I painted the apartment, replaced a leaking bathroom faucet (with a good thrift store find), replaced a light fixture (again, with a thrift store find), and repaired a few other things, for free, with the landlord being happy to (only) pay for the supplies. I also was cooperative and helpful with showings. The LL is very happy, as his investment was left in much better shape, and he now has a brand new lease from someone else, making $50 a month more, without having lost a month's rent. Everybody came out a winner. He is now going to give me a glowing reference and will always be happy to house me again should the need arise. The moral of the story is: as long as you work with the landlord to create a win-win scenario and are considerate about it / mindful of their needs, you should have no problem at all whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 09:26 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
here in Brooklyn NY apartments are never vacant long, ever.......................our LL lets people move whenever, then he repaints, does the floors and before you know it, the tenant is already hanging curtains.....

but I too agree with the first poster, breaking a lease is not the end of the world, the world will not fall apart, you will not go to jail, you will not go to hell......wah wah wah
No, but it can hurt your credit if the landlord or management company wants to be vindictive. Most leases I've signed had a clause saying you could get out of the lease with two months rent but some people just don't have the money to do that plus pay for their new place with the security deposit especially if they are moving because the new place is much cheaper.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:41 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,598,551 times
Most of the time, you can break your lease, but it will cost you.

If your place is that bad, the money might make it worth it.

But you cant just have people think flippantly about a lease, which is a legal contract, otherwise, people would be coming and going at their whim, now the landlord is stuck. How would you like to be a renter and have that attitude like "whats so big of a deal for me as a landlord to break your lease". for someone who doesn't want to move for a few years, and/or has no money to be able to uproot and move, and would be a hardship, then that renter would not appreciate the landlord pulling the rug out from under you.

In other words, it protects both landlord and renter, so that neither party will be able to just at a whim change thier mind without a cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting