Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2014, 01:21 PM

13 posts, read 21,520 times

Advertisements

I am currently renting a room from the owners of a house in Pittsburgh. I am on an eight-month lease that ends on April 10 before it changes to month-to-month, but I have decided that I would like to move back home to TN, hopefully on May 2. I have a few questions about telling my landlord of my intentions.

1. My lease only requires me to give a 30-day notice. However, I would like to give notice ASAP, for two reasons, One, in case they have any issues with me moving out in the middle of the rental period, I'll know and we can iron things out early on. Two, I'd like to be able to put down a definitive date that I'll be relocating to TN when I apply for jobs back home. Is there any downside in giving notice so early? The only one I can think of is me changing my mind and deciding to stay in Pittsburgh after they've found another renter, but the chances of me wanting to stay are slim to none.

2. My mother mentioned that if they preferred I move out at the end of the eight-month lease, I could always stay with a friend. Is this likely to happen, though, if I'm willing to pay for the whole month, even though I won't be staying for the duration of it?

3. I would like to leave behind two pieces of furniture in the room, if they'll let me. All the advice I read online says that I should get their agreement in writing to avoid charges after the fact, but I'm wondering what exactly should the statement say? I've tried searching for a template or an example agreement, but I can't find one.

4. Is there a special way I should handle getting the security deposit back? Or should I just sit back and wait for them to mail it to me? I'm especially nervous about this one--I haven't done any damage to the house, but the owners did pull a bit of a bait-and-switch on me when I moved up here. The wife pretended to be all friendly and accommodating, saying she could put me in touch with some of her contacts while I was searching for a job, and also that she would take me and my roommates out for entertainment (one of the tenants is a college student and family friend of hers), but ever since I've moved up here, none of those things have happened. I met her to get the keys when I moved in, and since then it's been her husband who has dealt with all things related to the house. He's been pretty responsive and seems like a nice guy, and I know the wife is of course under no obligation of any sort to do the things she said, but I'm still wary of having another bait-and-switch done with my money on the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 01:53 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
My comments below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by apples2applesdust2dust View Post
I am currently renting a room from the owners of a house in Pittsburgh. I am on an eight-month lease that ends on April 10 before it changes to month-to-month, but I have decided that I would like to move back home to TN, hopefully on May 2. I have a few questions about telling my landlord of my intentions.

1. My lease only requires me to give a 30-day notice. However, I would like to give notice ASAP, for two reasons, One, in case they have any issues with me moving out in the middle of the rental period, I'll know and we can iron things out early on. Two, I'd like to be able to put down a definitive date that I'll be relocating to TN when I apply for jobs back home. Is there any downside in giving notice so early? The only one I can think of is me changing my mind and deciding to stay in Pittsburgh after they've found another renter, but the chances of me wanting to stay are slim to none.

The only downside I can think if is there is a chance they might decide they want you out by April 10 rather then stay for another month. Depending on when is the best time for them to find another long term tenant. That might be a factor with school schedules, etc.

2. My mother mentioned that if they preferred I move out at the end of the eight-month lease, I could always stay with a friend. Is this likely to happen, though, if I'm willing to pay for the whole month, even though I won't be staying for the duration of it?

I don't know. Depends on what is most advantageous for them.

3. I would like to leave behind two pieces of furniture in the room, if they'll let me. All the advice I read online says that I should get their agreement in writing to avoid charges after the fact, but I'm wondering what exactly should the statement say? I've tried searching for a template or an example agreement, but I can't find one.

Just write it in plain English and ask them to sign it if they approve.

4. Is there a special way I should handle getting the security deposit back? Or should I just sit back and wait for them to mail it to me? I'm especially nervous about this one--I haven't done any damage to the house, but the owners did pull a bit of a bait-and-switch on me when I moved up here. The wife pretended to be all friendly and accommodating, saying she could put me in touch with some of her contacts while I was searching for a job, and also that she would take me and my roommates out for entertainment (one of the tenants is a college student and family friend of hers), but ever since I've moved up here, none of those things have happened. I met her to get the keys when I moved in, and since then it's been her husband who has dealt with all things related to the house. He's been pretty responsive and seems like a nice guy, and I know the wife is of course under no obligation of any sort to do the things she said, but I'm still wary of having another bait-and-switch done with my money on the line.

Read the information here regarding security deposit under "When the tenant decides to move". TENANT-LANDLORD HANDBOOK Note they also have a checklist provided for a move out inspection. I recommend you clean everything really well and take photos of the condition of everything when you have moved out.

More good references here. //www.city-data.com/forum/renti...l#post31387275

Old 01-31-2014, 05:34 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
If you want to get rid of 2 pieces of furniture, it's better to call Goodwill or Salvation Army. Donate it to them and they will come and pick it up.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:37 AM

7 posts, read 39,678 times
Hi there -

1. You can give notice early on but if they find another tenant to move in right after your lease ends, you might be out of luck.

2. They may or may not, really depends if they can find another tenant to fill your place.

3. I personally wouldn't leave any furniture behind as they can deduct money from your security deposit for it.
I would rather list the items on CL for free, give it to a friend, or agree with sware2cod and have goodwilll or salvation army come pick it up (you'll just have to schedule month in advance if you want them to come pick it up rather than you dropping it off if it's too big or you just don't have transportation)
But if you must, while you and the landlord are hashing your move out date, ask them if it's ok and if they agree, have a letter stating you will be moving out on X date and that you will be leaving two furniture (write what furniture so there's no confusion just in case you rented the room furnished) behind that they are ok with and that you will not be penalized for leaving it behind. Date it and have your landlord and yourself sign it and you keep a copy, landlord keeps a copy.

4. Every time I move out, I ask for a final walk through before I hand my keys over.
I personally ask if it's ok and up to their par.
Make sure to leave it clean (even if it wasn't given to you like that), give it one last vacuum and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting