Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 07:47 PM

36 posts, read 70,865 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure where else to submit this. I've posted this on another forum and haven't received much traction. So, I thought I would post this here.

I'm looking at moving into a new duplex. However, the property management company is holding off on signing the lease RIGHT BEFORE we actually move in. I need to give my current landlord a 30 day notice. But, I'm not about to do that and move into a place without agreeing to terms of a lease contract. Does anyone else think this is kinda weird? I've never done this sort of thing before.

Also, I sensed this may sound like a bad idea, so I emailed them a list of terms that I thought were going in the lease. The property management company said this sounds ok for them to do. When we started going through my list, it turns out that I'm also responsible for garbage/trash. And, THIS is why I want a lease before committing to moving out of my current place. What if I'm supposed to move out of my place and the new place I'm moving in to decides to change up our initially agreed upon terms which were never signed? I would be screwed!

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 07:55 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,282,469 times
They might hold off on signing the lease but I bet they would give you a copy of the lease. Otherwise, I think you might be a bit paranoid. Do you get a bad feeling about this property? If so, trust your instincts and RUN!!!

Old 02-19-2014, 08:05 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,793,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mililani View Post
Does anyone else think this is kinda weird?
Yes. The only reason I can think of for delaying committing to a lease is if the place isn't yet completed and they have concerns that it won't be finished on schedule. I wouldn't chance it.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:22 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,632,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Yes. The only reason I can think of for delaying committing to a lease is if the place isn't yet completed and they have concerns that it won't be finished on schedule. I wouldn't chance it.
Or as you said they just don't want you to read the lease and see how all the things they agreed to verbally are actually not included in the lease

Old 02-20-2014, 06:39 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,583,912 times
OP, this is unfortunately, very common nowadays. I think it is horrible for the tenant. The govt subsidized place I just moved into did the same thing to me, as far as not signing documents until my actual move-in day. I sat in the office signing, while my stuff was in a trailer outside.

I could get a copy of my lease ahead of time, however, and any other documents I would be required to sign. You should definitely do this.

What I used to do as a manager, when I had a unit coming up vacant, and an applicant who wanted it as soon as it was available...(normally I didn't advertise until they were ready to go, but occasionally, I'd have someone who wanted it before it was vacant)...anyway, I would go ahead and sign a contract with the new tenant, but put in additional wording that the incoming tenant was aware that I can't control whether or not the outgoing tenant would vacate on time, and if the repairs, etc., would take longer than estimated, and that the tenant takes the risk in that event.

There was a clause that said as much, anyway, in the contract I used, but to cover the owner's rear, I'd make triple sure there was no mistake that the incoming tenant would have to get storage, or a hotel, etc., and it would be on their dime, not the owner's, if they couldn't end up moving in when they'd hoped to.

This could have still been a legal pain in the rear, if the tenant decided to sue the owner anyway, even if the owner couldn't control the delay. Fortunately, this never happened to us.

So, you can see why they don't want a signed contract with you until they can actually provide the unit. But, you certainly have every right to see what you would be signing. I'd get a letter or email from them that says here is the exact contract you would be signing, with move-in date possibly different. So, you at least don't have to worry about them putting a contract in front of you on move-in day that is completely different. Or if you do, you would at least have legal recourse.

If they aren't willing to at least do that, I agree that you should run the other way.

The other option would be to look for a place that is move-in ready. Then it shouldn't be an issue to go ahead and sign a contract with your actual move-in date. Easier on both parties this way.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 02-20-2014 at 06:47 PM..

Old 02-21-2014, 10:02 AM

36 posts, read 70,865 times
Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. So, after multiple correspondences from me pushing to see a copy of a standard lease they use, they asked if I would like to do a lease signing dated for the time of move in (a month from now). YES! I don't understand why it took much hoop jumping to get to this point, but at sign in, they were professional and courteous. The lease looks good, and I'm ready to move in.

Again, thanks for the responses!

Old 02-21-2014, 10:42 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,793,568 times
Great - hope you really enjoy the new home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting