Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 12:35 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,808 times

Advertisements

Doubt it will really change anything, but thought I would ask...

We are having to move into a travel trailer for the summer (our lease expired and current LL did not want to extend for 3 months). A family friend offered to loan us his travel trailer. When we went to pick it up Saturday, his wife (with him present) announced that they expected a $300 a month "deposit" each month for the use of the trailer. The amount would be returned at the end of the summer when we returned the trailer (I have kept all our receipts from the repairs we had to do for it to stop leaking water from every joint . Clearly, it was not winterized.) I have made a detailed list of all the issues we have found (and we haven't even moved in yet...lol).

So...question is: Would these people be considered our landlords now that they are charging a fee each month? Or, does the fact that they are offering to return the money at the end of our stay, legally mean they are not considered landlords?

Like I said, probably won't change anything...but I have been mulling this question over all day .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 12:45 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
A family friend offered to loan us his travel trailer.
When we went to pick it up Saturday,
If the trailer is on land they control and you are living there, they may be your landlord regardless if paying money for rent or baking them apie each week. But if you are borrowing it and using it elsewhere, no, they are not your landlord.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:45 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,122 times
I don't know the answer to your question. But I hope you have everything in writing and signed by all parties.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:54 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Sounds like you need a agreement about who covers maintenance items for the travel trailer. You will have the stuff you just found without even moving in.

What if something(oven, shower, AC, etc) breaks 2 months into you using it? Who pays to fix it? I see an argument occurring...the owners will say you broke it and you pay to fix it because it broke due to your use; OP will say that it's not their trailer and it broke due to age/wear and tear and it's not the responsibility of OP.

Seriously...there will be hard feelings over anything that breaks or needs maintenance. Both sides will feel that the other side is wrong.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:17 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,808 times
Truthfully, I already have some hard feelings about all the issues it had before we could even move a single thing into it. The black water tank was 1/2 full . Pretty nasty.

I never expected such a lack of care from this person. On our end, I have written down a comprehensive list of everything we have found wrong, everything we've had to fix, as well as everything we've had to purchase for repairs. I have taken pictures of some of the more obvious items.

As for the legal end...after seeing the lack of maintanence, I've no doubt other things will break over the summer's use. I will confirm who is responsible for major repairs (the AC comes to mind as we will be using it), because I have spent enough on this trailer.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:35 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
You "picked up" the travel trailer. So, basically, you are renting their travel trailer from them. They aren't your landlords. This would be equal to renting a car from them.

You need a written agreement.

What you really need is to not do this, if that's an option at all.

You might as well picture yourself in court with these guys. They are going to try to keep your money for whatever reasons. You will say you don't owe them that money for whatever reasons. But, you are the ones out the money, if you give them $300/month. Then you will have to try and collect from them.

Might as well just kiss that $900 goodbye. As long as that's all you are out at the end of the deal, I think you should let it be. This is cheap rent for a travel trailer.

OTOH, if they try to say you owe them even more, I think you should fight it.

And who is insuring this travel trailer? What if you burn it down?

Why don't you just write up a contract that says you will rent the trailer for 3 months for $300/month. That you are accepting the trailer as-is and will return it in the same condition, less normal wear and tear. That any repairs are on the owner of the trailer, and that the owner is responsible to insure it.

At least do something like that.

And offering to just let them keep the money as rent may make them more amenable to deal with. Maybe it will even save the friendship.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:30 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
If you're paying them $300 a month to live there, I suggest you take that $300 and find the cheapest hotel you can and move there instead. This is a train wreck just waiting to happen.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:35 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Even if they are considered a LL that doesn't mean you can get money paid after he fact for repairs. That is a separate case and you. Need to give notice of repairs upfront and deal with them how to have them handled and not fixing them and then telling you want money.

Quote:
Doubt it will really change anything, but thought I would ask...

We are having to move into a travel trailer for the summer (our lease expired and current LL did not want to extend for 3 months). A family friend offered to loan us his travel trailer. When we went to pick it up Saturday, his wife (with him present) announced that they expected a $300 a month "deposit" each month for the use of the trailer. The amount would be returned at the end of the summer when we returned the trailer (I have kept all our receipts from the repairs we had to do for it to stop leaking water from every joint . Clearly, it was not winterized.) I have made a detailed list of all the issues we have found (and we haven't even moved in yet...lol).

So...question is: Would these people be considered our landlords now that they are charging a fee each month? Or, does the fact that they are offering to return the money at the end of our stay, legally mean they are not considered landlords?

Like I said, probably won't change anything...but I have been mulling this question over all day .

Old 05-27-2014, 05:19 PM

575 posts, read 1,469,251 times
I don't think this would be any different than a rental car. Where do you live? For $300 a month here, you could find a studio apartment or at the very least, a room in a house/apartment. I think $300/month would probably also be able to find a very cheap motel (that's roughly $10 a day) that would allow you to rent at a reduced rate if you rent month to month.

On a side note, never rent from friends or family. Shoot, never do business period with friends or family if you value the relationship at all.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:19 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
We are having to move into a travel trailer for the summer (our lease expired and current LL did not want to extend for 3 months). A family friend offered to loan us his travel trailer.
Of course, a travel trailer is NOT real estate, so your "family friend" would not be your landlord.

The bigger question, however: is this advisable? It sounds like a disaster in the making. If you value your friendship, you should make other arrangements. Besides, you're just putting off the inevitable. You need to find suitable living conditions for your daughter.

If you persist in moving forward with this idea, at least put your rental agreement in writing--and cover everything mentioned earlier in this thread. And please make sure to report back on all of the problems this causes you over the summer. It could get interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting