Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 11:32 PM

25 posts, read 40,751 times

Advertisements

There are 4 of such types of holes/TV mount set up throughout the property. It was where a TV was mounted on the wall, so it is not a small nail but almost the size of a golf ball.

They have been occupying this unit for 7+ years, and it has not been painted in that timeframe (aside from when the tenant first moved in).

Lease states that the property must be returned in the condition it was received. There were no holes prior in these areas. They also did not consult me to ask permission to make such a change, which was also stated in the lease.

Would you count this as normal wear & tear vs. damage? Especially given the time that it hasn’t been painted (7+ years)? How much would you charge?
Attached Thumbnails
TV mount holes left by tenant - Do I deduct?-picofdamagedwall2.jpeg   TV mount holes left by tenant - Do I deduct?-picofdamagedwall3.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 11:40 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Sure. That seems reasonable. In CA you could charge a rasonable fee for your labor and materials. As long as it's not crazy, your tenant probalby won't balk.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:59 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Sure, you can charge them but are you going to paint anyway? Were they good tenants for the 7 years and was this the only thing?
You're within your rights to deduct but I wouldn't if I had to paint anyway if that's the only 'damage'

Old 10-04-2019, 04:05 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susand123 View Post
They have been occupying this unit for 7+ years,
and it has not been painted in that time frame
Would you count this as normal wear & tear vs. damage?
With seven years in.. probably yes.

The larger lessons are about 1) YOU providing a suitable anchor point for TV's.
and 2) more frequent inspections than 7 years so you can see things like this sooner.
(Mount a $2 piece of plywood that will span the wall studs there and paint that)

Old 10-04-2019, 08:01 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
We would charge for the repair of the holes, but not the paining as that would have been done regardless. However, I noticed there is a inwall wire gang located in lower left of the first picture. Was that installed by you or is it theirs?

Old 10-04-2019, 09:45 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
I would definitely address this in the lease for the next tenant.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:10 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times
Was this discussed ahead of time? Was the tenant given the option of fixing this themselves?

I mean, if you're going to be painting anyway, that's a pretty small mud job.

Old 10-04-2019, 02:20 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
That's undeniably damage, was the larger hole at the bottom already there? I'd charge for the drywall repair (probably around $250 from my painter) but not for the paint. Make sure your invoice specifically states drywall repair on it though.

No need to add anything more to the lease, that **** wasn't there when they moved in and they didn't return the unit to you in the same condition you received it in. However, if you do add anything to the lease I'd simply put, "Tenant is NOT permitted to install any wall mounted electronics." That should cover TVs/speakers any of that kind of thing.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:40 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
That's undeniably damage, was the larger hole at the bottom already there? I'd charge for the drywall repair (probably around $250 from my painter) but not for the paint. Make sure your invoice specifically states drywall repair on it though.

No need to add anything more to the lease, that **** wasn't there when they moved in and they didn't return the unit to you in the same condition you received it in. However, if you do add anything to the lease I'd simply put, "Tenant is NOT permitted to install any wall mounted electronics." That should cover TVs/speakers any of that kind of thing.
Idk, I mean, I get it. But...that's kind of what probably at least half or more of people do with their TVs these days. I wouldn't balk at you trying to charge for it (although I'd certainly fix it myself), but I would balk at you trying to prohibit it at lease signing.

Old 10-05-2019, 04:14 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,988,572 times
I had a property manager ding me a flat $5 per hole for all pictures, hangers, etc.... throught the house I leased for 4 years once. There was a lot of them. I was a good tenant that took care of things, never late on rent, and didnt try to nickel and dime little issues over my lease times.

And the place was not freshly painted when I moved in.

I didnt dispute it.

The larger hole in your photos look like the tenant ran cabling into the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting