Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 08:00 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,365 times

Advertisements

My ex landlord just emailed me what they're deducting from my security deposit. While i dont fully object to carpet cleaning, i felt like 3 bedrooms for 275 was a bit expensive.

I'm just trying to decide if its worth being a pain over since they didnt send it cert mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 08:05 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
My ex landlord just emailed me what they're deducting from my security deposit. While i dont fully object to carpet cleaning, i felt like 3 bedrooms for 275 was a bit expensive.

I'm just trying to decide if its worth being a pain over since they didnt send it cert mail.
Does your state law mandate that the notification be sent via certified mail? The cost is very reasonable. Trying to argue that you didn't receive notification (and presumably this was only a notification of what your LL plans to deduct) is lame. If you dispute the planned deductions then communicate with your LL but he no doubt will provide you the required receipts when he returns the balance of your security deposit.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:07 AM

Yes. Florida law does mandate they must be sent via certified mail.

I dont agree about the carpets because we cleaned them ourselves twice before we left (we own a carpet cleaner). The carpets were just fine, i mean they're 8+ year old carpets, what do they think they're going to do? Turn into perfect carpet after they're so old?

edit to add: no, this is my notification. they're requesting i sign and return the receipt in 24 hours. Funny how they took 29 days to email me this and they want that back in 1 day? GFYS.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:14 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,470,844 times
$275 for 3 rooms is crazy to me. Our professional carpet cleaner has never charged me $275 even for doing a large 2 story house, unless we had him steam clean the tile as well. 3 rooms is under $100. But then, costs are cheaper in general around here, so maybe $275 is normal where you live.

For your other question, the LL may have just emailed the breakdown and then be sending the check and a copy of the breakdown certified. There is no reason they can't do email ALSO. We often send notices to tenants via email and then send them a mailed notice as well. Most of them get the email faster.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
1. Yes. Florida law does mandate they must be sent via certified mail.

2. I dont agree about the carpets because we cleaned them ourselves twice before we left (we own a carpet cleaner). The carpets were just fine, i mean they're 8+ year old carpets, what do they think they're going to do? Turn into perfect carpet after they're so old?

3. edit to add: no, this is my notification. they're requesting i sign and return the receipt in 24 hours. Funny how they took 29 days to email me this and they want that back in 1 day? GFYS.
1. The notification of the intended deductions or the actual itemized deductions sent along with the balance of your SD? My guess is the latter.

2. Self-cleaning is never as good as a commercial cleaning but, as mentioned earlier, you can certainly dispute the charge.

3. It seems as though they followed the letter of the law so far as far as timing is concerned, whether or not it's convenient for you. I'm pretty sure I know what "GFYS" means without looking it up in the internet slang dictionary but I would drop the attitude. Dispute the charges if you need to.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:20 AM

(a) Upon the vacating of the premises for termination of the lease, if the landlord does not intend to impose a claim on the security deposit, the landlord shall have 15 days to return the security deposit together with interest if otherwise required, or the landlord shall have 30 days to give the tenant written notice by certified mail to the tenant’s last known mailing address of his or her intention to impose a claim on the deposit and the reason for imposing the claim. The notice shall contain a statement in substantially the following form:
This is a notice of my intention to impose a claim for damages in the amount of upon your security deposit, due to . It is sent to you as required by s. 83.49(3), Florida Statutes. You are hereby notified that you must object in writing to this deduction from your security deposit within 15 days from the time you receive this notice or I will be authorized to deduct my claim from your security deposit. Your objection must be sent to (landlord’s address) .
If the landlord fails to give the required notice within the 30-day period, he or she forfeits the right to impose a claim upon the security deposit and may not seek a setoff against the deposit but may file an action for damages after return of the deposit.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
1. The notification of the intended deductions or the actual itemized deductions sent along with the balance of your SD? My guess is the latter.

2. Self-cleaning is never as good as a commercial cleaning but, as mentioned earlier, you can certainly dispute the charge.

3. It seems as though they followed the letter of the law so far as far as timing is concerned, whether or not it's convenient for you. I'm pretty sure I know what "GFYS" means without looking it up in the internet slang dictionary but I would drop the attitude. Dispute the charges if you need to.
I have a perfect reason to have an attitude about it. We were faithful renters and paid on time if not early for 4 years and they take their sweet time getting our money back to us and demand we sign it in 1 day? That's not what the law says. So yes, I am angry.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:29 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,116,182 times
I think you are getting a poor deal but consider what might be a fair deal would be you would have to decide if contesting it is worth the trouble.

I have a super floor cleaning service that will do 4 rooms for $70 including deodorizing and $15 for each additional room, and also $15 for each tile or similar floor for steam cleaning if desired.

Hmmm... "GFYS" I had to LMAO over that one! You have spunk!

Lucky I was between sips or I'd be cleaning coffee off my monitor!

For the benefit of STT it is a suggestion to have self-intercourse.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:35 AM

Sorry, that phrase is one of my favorites for people that tick me off I like it so much i got a coffee cup with it

But, joking aside. I guess really i'm gonna have to sit down with my husband and decide if its worth the hassle to fight them on it. They also stuck us with a $40 hauling charge (it said 80, but 1/2 to tenant) so i'm not really sure what that's about. The lady who emailed me said the owner would get back to me what that was about.

The only trash we had was in a trash can and we had already arranged with a neighbor to take that to the curb at trash day (which in our case was 2 days from when we moved out). I suppose if they stuck us with that, ok, but 40 bucks seems a bit high.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I have a perfect reason to have an attitude about it. We were faithful renters and paid on time if not early for 4 years and they take their sweet time getting our money back to us and demand we sign it in 1 day? That's not what the law says. So yes, I am angry.
Then the solution is simple. If you don't feel up to disputing the charges calmly and/or you feel that the LL has failed to follow FL statutes, then by all means go ahead and file your claim in Small Claims court. In due course you'll have your day in court and it'll all be decided then. Your choice. Good luck whatever you opt to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting