Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 06:13 AM

16 posts, read 40,116 times

Advertisements

Were in wake county. In what I could find on the law I've read that LL cannot charge to paint as this is covered under normal wear and tear. But we really wouldn't know what were walking into if we went to court because we were stupid and don't have pictures. However, if he does that would be great unless he altered things to make it look worst. We left the place looking great aside from the one wall which was painted to cover the holes in the wall.

The charge for painting, carpet cleaning, cleaning the property and lightbulbs is all up in the air on whether we would win or not, but the fact still remains that he did not give us our deposit until 5 days after his 30 days was up and stating it was due to lack of forwarding address even though we emailed it to him on July 1 and again on July 26 - my husband also left several emails for him but I wouldn't expect that to mean much since there's no way to prove that.

I'm not sure it's worth my time either. We are financially secure and aren't depending on that money. But I don't like that he's taking advantage of us thinking he can get away with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 06:23 AM

Oh and to answer an above poster, we lived there for 3 years. He sent copies of the checks written for services. The check for the paint job was written to some individual not a company and on the itemized statement he lists that his company received the payment for painting. I'm sure it's acceptable to do that, but just mentioning it as an added fact that he paid his own company to do the job. Also, in his response to us he said he only charged us for 1/3 of the paint job and could have charged us for the entire amount but it was a courtesy since the other walls didn't really need painting. But the checks for painting only totaled $1600 and he charged us $1100.

Not trying to sound like I have a better case just trying to provide as much info as I have in case it changes anyone's opinion. I also spoke to the attorney generals office who wants us to submit a formal complaint and said their office would contact him on our behalf.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:54 PM

Another thing that just occurred to me. The law states that the LL must itemize all damages in the return of the deposit. He does not itemize any damages, he simply provides a list of services that he paid to have done to the property - none of which were "repairs". I'm wondering if that's a technicality that would help our case. For instance, after we sent him our demand letter he returned our email stating that he had to paint because of the patch jobs. But he did not list that as a reason for painting on his original letter. NOt to mention the form we completed when doing our initial walk through inspection lists nail holes and patched up paint. We have our copy of that but not the one that the landlord signed off on - we never got that from him because he had us mail it in :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting