Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2014, 02:20 AM

1 posts, read 925 times

Advertisements

i found a housing info on the craigslist. And the guy claimed he is gonna be my roommate. After some texts back and forth, i agreed to pay 550 per month, and the lease lasts for a year. I signed the lease and wrote him a check to pay 1000 for the secruity deposit and 300 for the last month rent ( since im only gonna stay for half of the month at the end). RIght now, that guy disapperead, and the real roommate asked me to pay 640 per month and he didnt know i paid 300 for the last month rent. And he said potentially the landowner may deduct the deposit since the house has already had some damages on it. I feel like i am in a huge scam right now. I only have texts to prove that we had agreements. What should i do in order to get my deposit back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 04:43 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Take your "lease" to an attorney immediately and let him/her look it over to see what you got involved with. Call your local Bar Association and see who they can recommend.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:58 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Never send money to someone you haven't met at the property. I think you are being scammed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:03 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
Contact your bank.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:20 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
This sounds like some information is missing. What did the actual roommate say when you showed him the lease you signed? Did he know the person you signed it with?

I agree this sounds like a scam, and if it is, your only hope is that they haven't cashed the check, and you can stop payment. My guess is, they cashed it 5 minutes after you gave it to them, in which case, you'll probably never see that money again.

But if it was a normal scam, you would have shown up at the apartment only to find that the occupant wasn't even looking for a roommate and knew nothing about any lease. That isn't apparently what happened. So is the actual roommate in on the scam? Or is it not a scam? I suppose it could be a sublease sort of thing where the actual roommate is trying to change from the terms the prior roommate had (the guy you signed with).

And what do you mean when you say you only have texts to prove you had an agreement? You said you signed a lease. That is proof. Did you not get a copy of that lease?

Did you even look at the apartment before signing the lease? Did you ever meet with the roommate, or just do everything by email/text/fax/phone? Did the guy you signed the lease with give you a key that worked?

Too much missing information to determine what is going on here.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:23 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromnil View Post
i found a housing info on the craigslist. And the guy claimed he is gonna be my roommate. After some texts back and forth, i agreed to pay 550 per month, and the lease lasts for a year. I signed the lease and wrote him a check to pay 1000 for the secruity deposit and 300 for the last month rent ( since im only gonna stay for half of the month at the end). RIght now, that guy disapperead, and the real roommate asked me to pay 640 per month and he didnt know i paid 300 for the last month rent. And he said potentially the landowner may deduct the deposit since the house has already had some damages on it. I feel like i am in a huge scam right now. I only have texts to prove that we had agreements. What should i do in order to get my deposit back?
you got robbed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting