Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 03:01 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
If the gas stoves are so dangerous, why are you living there? Why didn't you find a place with a electric stove? If using a stove is such a concern for you, why don't you go on a raw diet and then you won't have to working about any gasses at all...well, at least stove gases.
My point is that im potentially having other peoples burnt exhaust being piped into my apartment. Its one thing if im causing my own demise, its another when an external force if causing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 03:33 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
My point is that im potentially having other peoples burnt exhaust being piped into my apartment. Its one thing if im causing my own demise, its another when an external force if causing it.

Time to move into a single family home. You cannot stop people in other apartments from cooking. Even if you move into a condo or townhome or duplex, the buildings are still attached and the other people that live there will cook.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:49 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
I think you should talk to the manager/owner and explain the problem. You may get lucky and get some help with the odor. When I was a property manager, the owner I worked for would have checked it out for you and seen if there was anything he could have done, within reason.

I feel your pain. I'm lucky that I live where I rarely smell my neighbors' cooking. The lady across the hall regularly burns her toast and sets off the smoke detector LOL. Today I was the one smelling up the hall, but hopefully, people thought it was a good smell. I was pressure canning chicken broth, so it smelled like chicken down the hall. I thought it smelled great, but my neighbors may not have.

But, my situation is more the random smells in the hallway. Nobody's kitchen odors are filtered through my apartment. I couldn't stand that. And I'd block the dang vents if that was the only way I could keep the smell from coming in, too - if I'd already asked the landlord for help and he/she said no.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:45 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post

If that's not an option for you, break your lease and move.

As for air pollution, I suggest you look beyond your neighbors cooking to those companies/people/manufacturers that are the real culprit of air pollution and go attack them.

Do you drive a car? Do you smoke? Do you fart? Do you eat food? If you answer yes to one or all of these questions, you're contributing to air pollution as well as anyone else. Your beef isn't about air quality, you just dont' like the food they're cooking.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-03-2014 at 10:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting