Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 07:22 PM

153 posts, read 860,728 times

Advertisements

Good Evening,

About 2 months ago we started having lots of roaches in the apartment we live in. Around the same time my teenage daughter started having allergy attacks, and would get red on her chest and face.

When I say lots of roaches, I do not mean 100s but there are at least 2 on the wall at all times. I am sure that means there are much more hiding. Around the same time we started seeing the roaches, we also had an actual infestation of millipedes, hundreds, we would vacuum them up and they would be back within 6 hours. We could not even figure out where they came from. It was not near a door, it was in the middle of the living room. I reported everything, and it took about 2 weeks for management to even respond. After some hassle they came in and sprayed, some of the millipedes came back, not as many but still about 30 at a time, after a few days they were gone. It seems to be how they operate.

The roaches have not gone, apartment has treated them, and they are still here. They do not seem to care. As I write this I am staring at a juicy one. I have given up on killing them at this point.

My daughter is sick often now, and I find myself wheezing all the time now. The pesticides do not kill these buggers and we live with them. (WE have been let out of our lease due to all this, and will move in a month).

Someone told me that I can file suit against the apartment owners for my daughter becoming sick, and the apartment management not being able to get rid of these nasty things.

Does anyone know about this? I am not out for money. But, I am going to have to pay moving costs and new deposits because I am forced to leave here, and feel they should help me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 11:02 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,839,013 times
The landlord is required to address the issues, which they have by spraying.

I suggest you take your daughter to a professional allergist to see the exact cause of her symptoms.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:03 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezmom View Post
... (WE have been let out of our lease due to all this, and will move in a month).

... Someone told me that I can file suit against the apartment owners for my daughter becoming sick, and the apartment management not being able to get rid of these nasty things.
Seriously? Management addressed the issue within a reasonable amount of time, you were let out of your lease presumably without penalty and now you want to sue your landlord because your daughter became sick?

Great, look forward to a bunch of medical visits, expensive tests, a good attorney hired by the landlord's insurance company who'll drag your case out for months/years - and no guarantee that your daughter's allergies will turn out to be related to cockroaches (at least two on the wall at all times?) or a temporary (probably season-related) millipede invasion.

You can file suit against anyone for anything but your chances of prevailing on this one are, in my opinion, very very slim. Move on.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:14 AM

153 posts, read 860,728 times
Thanks. That is why I asked. I didnt put everything in the thread about how they handled it. But, was trying to get an idea. I appreciate your advice.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:30 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Just move out, and be sure to check the reviews on the new place before renting. But, if you keep having cockroaches wherever you go...there's a common denominator somewhere.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:34 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
You will need proof of doctor records prior to this happening and afterwards and if there is no proof than forget about it.

Keep in mind you will need to be aware that the roaches can be caused by leaving doors open and having food out there and perhaps if you have pets related to food remains left on the floor and that doesn't mean you are a dirty person but roaches will come for the smallest amounts

Old 11-12-2014, 07:52 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Wow some of you need to quit busting on this woman . This apt complex could be not the best , and really run down and in that case anywhere in the south you live you can have roaches , you don't have to be a dirty person to have roaches in the south they are part of the climate there . also some people have been known to be bitten by roaches causing all sorts of trouble including allergies and the daughter could be developing an allergy to the spray I know I am highly allergic to certain bug sprays and spray them and wallah deathly ill and migraine rolled into one . I know this does not happen to everyone but it is possible . Have some compassion people you are not the ones walking in her shoes .

Old 11-12-2014, 07:59 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Wow some of you need to quit busting on this woman. ... Have some compassion people you are not the ones walking in her shoes .
Who's "busting on" anyone? Compassion is one thing, practicality is another and they're not mutually exclusive.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:55 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Wow some of you need to quit busting on this woman . This apt complex could be not the best , and really run down and in that case anywhere in the south you live you can have roaches , you don't have to be a dirty person to have roaches in the south they are part of the climate there . also some people have been known to be bitten by roaches causing all sorts of trouble including allergies and the daughter could be developing an allergy to the spray I know I am highly allergic to certain bug sprays and spray them and wallah deathly ill and migraine rolled into one . I know this does not happen to everyone but it is possible . Have some compassion people you are not the ones walking in her shoes .
"As I write this I am staring at a juicy one. I have given up on killing them at this point."

Old 11-12-2014, 10:32 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
I live in the south and in the Caribbean...neither one of my homes have roaches. It's 'not common' in every southern home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting