Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 04:17 PM

73 posts, read 247,034 times

Advertisements

I live in this park, a year now. It's nice with most residents retired or working poor. I'm full time in a good condition travel trailer with my adult son and his service dog. The original agreement with the previous owner/manager was mo-mo, no lease, no notice to vacate req, no deposit, just respectful people and pets. He was VERY security oriented due to the area. It's a mix of older and newer rvs, mobiles and stick built homes.
The new owner is a lawyer from an affluent city 2 hrs north. It's been about a month since he's taken over. Some stuff is good. Like skirting on rvs as well as mobile homes. Cleaning up the areas around your home. BUT...... leases with deposits and 30 day notice to vacate. No pets over 25#. Only 2 vehicles per space whether rv space, mobile or house. No derelict vehicles here btw. Nothing allowed outside either, to include lawn chairs, lawn mower under a vinyl cover(behind the MH), bbqs, etc. Get a shed he says, like most here can afford that. No more signs in public areas denoting private property, no trespassing, security cameras in use. He says if we see suspicious characters, call the police. The former owner/mgr, a former LEO, says police have told him they won't come unless it's a crime in progress or park owner has requested their help. New owner is NOT on site, nor will he have a manager on site. New manager available by phone, leave a message, she'll call back in a few hours. She manages other parks as well, but doesn't live in any of them. Rumor is he's wanting all fences taken down too.
New guy has told old guy that anyone that doesn't comply will be evicted.
What I'm wondering...... can he do all this, can he enforce rules that are not what we all originally agreed to? A LOT of people are not wanting to do a lease, primarily the rvers. The size of the pet is a biggy for a lot of people. I'm okay, with a service dog. I know he can't go anywhere with that, but there's a number of other folks with well mannered pets and they're in mobile home they own. Not so easy to just move. As to the outside stuff, I'm renting a space that should be mine, within reason. Number of cars? There's ample parking so not like a used car lot. Lots of folks here are extended family situations with each adult working.
New guy is going to have a meet and greet this Saturday, pizza and pop and 15 minutes. He doesn't expect very many people to come, so 15 minutes? From what I'm hearing, nearly everyone is going to be there. If all of the new rules are implemented, at least 1/3 of the park will move. Some are talking about maybe having to walk away, since the economy makes it hard to sell and the space rent is high and going higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 04:21 PM

Forgot to say, this park is in Washington state.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:17 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,767,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyI'mHome View Post
... The original agreement with the previous owner/manager was mo-mo, no lease, no notice to vacate req, no deposit ...
What I'm wondering...... can he do all this, can he enforce rules that are not what we all originally agreed to?
In a nutshell, yes. What you agreed to with the previous owner was not in writing. You're a month to month tenant so the new owner can impose any rules he wants, as long as they're in conformance with state laws and he gives you the proper notice which is usually 30 days on a month to month rental. You'll find your state laws linked in the first "sticky" on this forum.

Hopefully the meeting on Saturday will be a peaceable one and tenants will have an opportunity to express their concerns to the new owner - but legally you have little to work with.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:07 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,707,783 times
If your leases are month-2-month, the rules can change with 30 days' notice.

If most of your residents are low income, you might check with the city to see if there are any home repair assistance programs to get the mobile homes to park standards.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:26 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,345,126 times
Your sons Service Dog wouldn't fall under any Pet Policy so if that's one of your worries you should be ok.

I am also thinking Current animals Legally would be Grand-fathered in. That's the way it was when I was Buying & they suddenly decided No Horses! Mine got Grand Fathered. & when we went to renting & the Apt decided to Go No Pets! All the current apts pets got Grand fathered in.

Last edited by Katie1; 11-27-2014 at 06:36 PM..

Old 11-27-2014, 06:52 PM

I'm not worried about my son's SD. I'm concerned for my neighbors that have pets over the new weight restriction. I know some will find another home for their pets but some won't. Hopefully, they'll be given enough time to sell their home and/or move. The issue of how many cars is going to be a serious one for a fair number of residents too.
I'm hopeful that the meet and greet goes well and both sides can work toward an equitable solution to all the issues. Judging by what the prior owner has said though, probably wishful thinking.
I can move, pretty easily. Yay for living in an rv! I will do so, mostly due to the lack of security and safety. Sad that all the work the previous owner did to make this place a safe and decent park will quickly fall back to the way it was.
So far, we've only been notified in writing that the rent is going up Jan 1st and to clean up around your home. The new mgr will come around through Dec to talk to everyone about what they need to do to comply. Nothing yet in writing about the rest of it. Having the heads up from the prior owner and now knowing he has to give 30 days to comply helps. I'll post what happens from the meet and greet.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:18 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,345,126 times
As I added ... Those animals Already living in the park by law are grandfathered in.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:17 PM

13,135 posts, read 21,050,414 times
The owner has the right to change any and all terms and conditions at a new or lease renewal. They can raise rent, set new house rules, limit parking, establish a no pet policy or restrictions, require new exterior housekeeping guidelines, and just about any other legal item when a new rental agreement is enacted. So, those with pets, many cars, low rents, and unkept exteriors can have the old rules changed on them with each rental renewal. On a month to month, a rental renewal is at the end of each month. The new owner must provide certain advance notice on some items, but pretty much as lease come due or month to months end, they control.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:14 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,057,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
As I added ... Those animals Already living in the park by law are grandfathered in.

Can you post a link to the law that supports this comment? I don't think that's correct....the owner doesn't have to 'grandfather' anyone in if doesn't want to.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:43 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,767,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Can you post a link to the law that supports this comment? I don't think that's correct....the owner doesn't have to 'grandfather' anyone in if doesn't want to.
It's not correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting