Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 11:24 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times

Advertisements

In Post# 11 from the thread linked below, you said:

"I gave an $800 deposit to my current place, and I figure I'm going to be lucky to get $500 back. I am terrible with carpets and my cats have puked all over it."

//www.city-data.com/forum/renti...oving-2nd.html

OP, what helpful advice were you planning to get from us? You had less taken from your deposit than you expected.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:41 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I moved out of an apartment that I lived in for a year. Granted I have a 13 year old boy who is a slob and 2 cats who seem to be constantly hacking up their red-colored food, but gah, $175 for carpet stains?? They said they had to remove 29 stains, that's $6 per stain! One bottle of Resolve only costs $3.99!

Praise God I have all wood floors now!
So you're complaining because you haven't taught your kid to have some respect for your housing, and you haven't bothered to change your cat's food even though he keeps puking it up? Got it.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:27 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
OP, I forget what state you are in. Does your LL have to provide you with receipts?

My first thought was that $175 does sound fair, but if he has to provide you with receipts, then ask for them. Why not?

And anybody saying a teenager won't be messy regardless of training, has never had a teenager. And, yes, this includes girls.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:59 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
.........And anybody saying a teenager won't be messy regardless of training, has never had a teenager. And, yes, this includes girls.
I've raised a child, and he did grow through all the teen years; he didn't jump from 10 years old to 20 years old. He never once made a stain on the carpet. He didn't damage anything in the house. He did his own laundry and kept his clothes put away. So, not everybody who claims a teenager can be taught to behave is a person who never raised a child.

Many children are well behaved, but you can't allow them to live like a wild animal with no house rules. In fact, most of my tenant's children never make any stains on the carpet and they don't live like slobs. The only child-caused carpet stains in a rental were from a parent who gave her young children lots of red drinks and let them drink and spill wherever they wanted to instead of making them sit down and drink in the kitchen or dining room. She also allowed them to throw spaghetti onto the ceiling in the living room. This was a stay at home mom, so she was there while the children were tossing food around and she allowed it to happen.

Responsible parents say something to their kids when they see the kids are starting to fling food around. Not that OP said they were food stains, but maybe she shouldn't have allowed the kids to paint in the house, or rebuild their bikes in the house, or whatever it was that the kids were doing to cause stains.

Kids track in dirt, but dirt can be vacuumed up and it doesn't leave difficult-to-remove stains in carpeting. Kids spill drinks, but drinks don't leave difficult-to-remove stains if spills are cleaned up at the time they happen (unless it is a red colored drink).

Carpet stains are preventable and tenant's who stain carpet get to pay for the damage. That's just the way that rentals work. Tenants keep the unit clean and undamaged, or they pay for it.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:33 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
OP, I forget what state you are in. Does your LL have to provide you with receipts?

My first thought was that $175 does sound fair, but if he has to provide you with receipts, then ask for them. Why not?

And anybody saying a teenager won't be messy regardless of training, has never had a teenager. And, yes, this includes girls.

I had five teenagers...and girls to boot...not one ruined my carpets, blinds, walls, doors, baseboards or any other part of my home. My dh and I spent time 'raising' our children and didn't allow them to act or live like animals.....maybe that's the difference??

Old 12-18-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I've raised a child, and he did grow through all the teen years; he didn't jump from 10 years old to 20 years old. He never once made a stain on the carpet. He didn't damage anything in the house. He did his own laundry and kept his clothes put away. So, not everybody who claims a teenager can be taught to behave is a person who never raised a child.

Many children are well behaved, but you can't allow them to live like a wild animal with no house rules. In fact, most of my tenant's children never make any stains on the carpet and they don't live like slobs. The only child-caused carpet stains in a rental were from a parent who gave her young children lots of red drinks and let them drink and spill wherever they wanted to instead of making them sit down and drink in the kitchen or dining room. She also allowed them to throw spaghetti onto the ceiling in the living room. This was a stay at home mom, so she was there while the children were tossing food around and she allowed it to happen.

Responsible parents say something to their kids when they see the kids are starting to fling food around. Not that OP said they were food stains, but maybe she shouldn't have allowed the kids to paint in the house, or rebuild their bikes in the house, or whatever it was that the kids were doing to cause stains.

Kids track in dirt, but dirt can be vacuumed up and it doesn't leave difficult-to-remove stains in carpeting. Kids spill drinks, but drinks don't leave difficult-to-remove stains if spills are cleaned up at the time they happen (unless it is a red colored drink).

Carpet stains are preventable and tenant's who stain carpet get to pay for the damage. That's just the way that rentals work. Tenants keep the unit clean and undamaged, or they pay for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I had five teenagers...and girls to boot...not one ruined my carpets, blinds, walls, doors, baseboards or any other part of my home. My dh and I spent time 'raising' our children and didn't allow them to act or live like animals.....maybe that's the difference??
That's a whollata assuming goin' on thar.

Don't recall the OP saying she let her kids fling food around the house, or tear apart motorcycles on the living room floor, or live like a wild animal.

Can we finish with the lectures on parenting now? There's a separate forum for that.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:59 AM

Quote:
That's a whollata assuming goin' on thar.

Don't recall the OP saying she let her kids fling food around the house, or tear apart motorcycles on the living room floor, or live like a wild animal.

Can we finish with the lectures on parenting now? There's a separate forum for that.

You brought up the topic of 'all teens are messy'...not us. We were simply pointing out that not all teenagers are slobs and leave 29 stains on the carpet.

Sure those 29 stains could've come from the cat, but why mention the kid if he didn't have anything to do with it? Being a messy teen means you leave towels on the floor, you leave dirty/clean clothes all over your room...it doesn't mean you leave 29 stains on the carpet. I bet this landlord rethinks renting to someone with pets and that's sad...not all pet owners let their pets puke all over the house.

You don't like people monitoring your posts, stop monitoring other people posts. Let the forum Mod do their job.

The OP got off easy and has nothing to complain about.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:13 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
OP here. I do love this forum, for it answers the majority of my questions. And this question was is $175 bad? Well, actually, it was just a rant because I felt like $175 was bad. A few of you answered my rant/question by telling me it is not bad, so now I know, and I appreciate that.

What I don't care for in this forum is how a freaking carpet thread can turn into insults and insinuations and suggestions that people are bad parents, bad people, bad cat caretakers, make bad decisions, it's all their fault, etc. etc. FFS, can a cat cough up a hairball and it can't be related to his food??? Maybe he has long hair. Oh wait, I should have brushed him more...

And whoever brought up the other thread I started, I did NOT get back more than expected. I got $190 back. ($800 given: $200 non-refundable cat deposit; $155 for fire in the kitchen; $80 for general carpet cleaning and $175 for stains.)

Last edited by aneye4detail; 12-19-2014 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: details

Old 12-19-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
OP here. I do love this forum, for it answers the majority of my questions. And this question was is $175 bad? Well, actually, it was just a rant because I felt like $175 was bad. A few of you answered my rant/question by telling me it is not bad, so now I know, and I appreciate that.

What I don't care for in this forum is how a freaking carpet thread can turn into insults and insinuations and suggestions that people are bad parents, bad people, bad cat caretakers, make bad decisions, it's all their fault, etc. etc. FFS, can a cat cough up a hairball and it can't be related to his food??? Maybe he has long hair. Oh wait, I should have brushed him more...

And whoever brought up the other thread I started, I did NOT get back more than expected. I got $190 back. ($800 given: $200 non-refundable cat deposit; $155 for fire in the kitchen; $80 for general carpet cleaning and $175 for stains.)

Again, you got off easy...very easy. There's no way you should've left 29 stains in that house. I don't care who lives there, what lives there or anything else....29 stains in beyond ridiculous.

We just left a unit after 5.5 yrs...we have 2 dogs and 1 cat and kids.....we got all, let me say that again, All of our deposit back. This unit had wall to wall beige carpet...not one stain was left behind...NOT ONE.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

You don't like people monitoring your posts, stop monitoring other people posts. Let the forum Mod do their job.
Practicing what she's preaching now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting