Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2015, 01:37 PM

3 posts, read 2,606 times

Advertisements

Even in PA, it allows landlord to garnish tenant's wages based on judgement but Philadelphia is different!
I recently got the money judgement about 2000$ against my ex-tenant for back rent from Montgomery County, PA. Then I filed Notice of Intent to Attach Wages at Sheriff Office there. Now here is the issue - since my ex-tenant's employer is located in Philadelphia County, PA, I will need to file it at Philadelphia Sheriff Department but in Philadelphia county, there is no such form to garnish my ex-tenant's wages. I searched PA laws, it does allow garnishing wages from tenants -- but why Philadelphia is different? Even though this 2 counties are next to each other, but they don't talk to each other. I tried to find legal advises and left messages to several lawyers but no one responded. It looks like my judgement is just a piece of paper, don't know what to do next? Anyone, anyone can please help?

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-04-2015 at 02:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 02:57 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
I don't know what to say as I can't imagine that not one lawyer has returned your 'phone call unless it's (a) only been a couple of hours since you called or (b) you've told them you're looking for free advice. Have you contacted the court clerk in Montgomery County to ask what you should do?

Old 03-04-2015, 07:44 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Contact an attorney to do this for you. They will file Philadelphia Court

Old 03-05-2015, 10:07 AM

Thank so much for your post. Yes I have been contacting local attorneys. I guess today a lot of offices are closed due to the inclement weather -- big snow storm. I will try to call Montgomery clerk of court tomorrow. thanks again!

Old 03-05-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I don't know what to say as I can't imagine that not one lawyer has returned your 'phone call unless it's (a) only been a couple of hours since you called or (b) you've told them you're looking for free advice. Have you contacted the court clerk in Montgomery County to ask what you should do?
Yeah I know -- I am still waiting for their response. Since the snow storm in Philly today, I emailed 4 local lawyers this morning as my mobile network is not available. No, I've never thought about free advice. It's such a pain to deal with this, very negative...after spending time on it, I'm very stressful. Yesterday, I contacted a couple of collecting agency, they can collect the debts for me and whatever the dollar collected we'll split 50/50. Maybe I should try that? The thing is that I know my ex-tenant who works in the city and she has a decent job making more money than myself.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:27 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
This link tells you what type of garnishments are allowed. In my state, you would not be "allowed" to garnish my wages.

Wage garnishment laws for all 50 states

Looks like Pennsylvania is similar, snipped from site:

39. Pennsylvania Wage Garnishment

No wage attachment in this state except for taxes and child sport.

Edited to add: I guess that's not exactly true as on nolo site it states also for back rent is allowed. Hope an attorney can help you.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:58 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,056,173 times
Since all city of Philadelphia offices officially closed today at 3pm (minus emergency departments), almost every business is closed and all schools are closed do you really think any law offices were open today? Have patience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting