Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 06:14 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,682,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGodiva32 View Post
It's like the people on here acting like we are crazy for being mad are trying to protect these horrible tenants? How can the landlord address nuisance tenants? With a letter informing them they are not following guidelines for peaceful enjoyment of the other tenants as per stated in the lease, and as such they can be evicted. That's how. After reading through Cornfed's posts, it seems to me they have A LOT of evidence that their neighbors are affecting their right to peaceful enjoyment. If Jackwad has a right to blend smoothies at 2:00 AM, I also have a right to my sleeping through the night without disruption. I will fight for my right and the fight is worth it because it's what is RIGHT. I respect my neighbors and their quiet, so I damn sure better get the same respect. I also fight for what's right in this world. There are too many self-righteous, only-one-in-the-world kinds of people these days. We can't let those people win.
That's just it, it appears that those in charge don't really give a sh__. I live where there is an on-site manager, who takes cues from the supervisor representing owners at the Management Company, who are very big. My little manager just listens and attempts to "keep the peace", speaking to the offender, who feigns innocence. That is how it has gone since I began having trouble. So, now, since there have been three similar weirdos (out of 12 neighbors I have had above me), I am looking like the "kid who cried wolf" (with her not recalling the others NOT having been problem, not being recent). I'm frustrated.

She has told me that nowadays, prospective tenants have to read, fill out / sign 50 pages of paperwork, (yet if there is anything in there that says they will agree to "not stomping, banging, slamming, perpetually dropping things, etc.," well, it is being ignored). So, all that is cared about is something being "over the top" nuisance noise, which to me, this other crap is a "nuisance", but OH, no... it is just apparently lumped into being "regular living noise", which nothing is done about. They are not Psychic as to whom they are renting to, but if they were, it could save a lot of trouble.

I recall telling the manager about the creep who had played his bedroom TV loudly during 3:00 - 6:00 am, in Chinese (being that he was Chinese). It was as if she did not believe me, or the a-hole acted like he "wasn't doing anything". (Thinking back, I should have tried recording it). When I brought this up on CD previously, one of the big know-it-all's said "they have a right to do so and why did I care if it was in a foreign language or not?" ( ???) This same type says we are misinterpreting "the right to quiet enjoyment" or "peaceful coexistence". Also, being told by this type to just move or "buy a house".

It does seem that managers just don't have any control and the Management Co. doesn't want to be bothered. It is not the resident manager, she takes cues from the supervisor, who likely says "WHY don't you just HANDLE this?", but within reason, because they don't want trouble. And there is no proving anything, since no one hangs out here. I don't know how this ridiculous situation can change, but as I have been attempting to say, something else has to apparently be established to define this particular level of annoyance being taken as valid. I agree that we need to fight this and also should have rights (yet I have become drained and am becoming weary).

Old 05-21-2015, 07:41 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,505,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
It is not like that has not been my thought, however, something like a Duplex unit can be $1750.00 - $2000.00 a month, if not more, when I require a low-income place. It is just one more thing, in addition to necessary prerequisites, like being pet-friendly. Believe me, If there had not been financial limitations, I would have done whatever I could have or wanted to. It's not even the "inconvenience of moving" being the biggest issue.

I have been in this unit for 17 years, being in another unit here initially, which will be a total of 20 years. I was in another building for 18 years and have lived in apartments since I was 22. I never even experienced this particular type (hyperactive, excessive, unusual) neighbor prior to 7 years ago. I would not even be having to think about leaving, if it was not for inconsiderate people. It has been nice here and I like the vicinity.

I was hoping to make the point in that post that with this having been too commonplace a problem for many, that those who cause these issues for others should be looked at, having housing officials or whomever it is who has the power, taking serious consideration of and make changes regarding this type living in apartments - though people lie, obviously saying they "are quiet", when they are not. (If even possible, I would likely not see a change in my lifetime). It's ridiculous to have to uproot oneself when those like myself are not the problem.
That would be nice but never gonna happen. People don't care-bottom line, landlords, tenants, management companies, don't matter. I've had to move because of these issues before and yes, it does stink, but rather than put myself through the aggravation of fighting with the noisy idiots that just didn't care, I took myself out of the situation. right now, I live in a concrete building, which I thought would be great, and it's much quieter than my last place, but I can hear the people upstairs constantly moving furniture-they moved in about a month ago. The person before, same thing. I thought (incorrectly) that a concrete building would solve the issue of upstairs noise, but nope. Maybe in a prewar building in Manhattan that has 2 feet thick floors, but not this supposed "high end luxury" condo that I moved into. That's why I say, never again will I live below someone. The noise drives me nuts, either way.

I feel your pain with the pet, I have one cat and it's so hard to find a place. A real shame.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:46 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,810,226 times
Agree completely with Jen. And I really do feel your pain, In2itive_1.

It all comes down to consideration. Nobody has it anymore. Until people stop thinking "me me me" and get a little empathy, this will continue to get worse. I just hope I can afford my 40 acres of land in the middle of nowhere soon!

Old 05-22-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
We tried that route and failed. He is well aware of the noise he makes and that is disrupts him. He continues regardless.
I have attempted nicely speaking to tenants too and it has been the same result as yours, seeing others having the same result. As I have said, it appears to come down to a personality type - there exists mental illness, to some degree or another. Other people who rent just don't act like this.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Melodica, I feel the same way lately! Kim is right, there is noise all around us and it's hard to escape. I've never lived somewhere, however where noise kept me from sleeping. I know it's still early where I am, but I go to bed early as I get up very early. I understand 10 is the usual time most people are expected to quiet down. However, the guy upstairs KNOWS I retire early so I know his banging and screeching is done either on purpose or with zero regard for us. It's mostly stopped, but knowing how he works I'll be just about asleep and he will scrap his chair against the floor and I'll be awake again. We went to go see a house to rent with no shared walls the other day. Even though is was TINY, it was way out of our price range and had oil heat *sigh*
I keep wondering why these bozos that do this (have had three) will not place those felt pads under their chair / table legs. It is so simple. And why doesn't management suggest it? (I have even seen them at the 99c store). If it were me living above on linoleum or hardwood, I would make every attempt to keep from disturbing another - but that's me. I wouldn't even want my chairs making that sound for myself... I guess these people are not bothered by it.

(Lightbult moment) - As I say that, I think that's just it - those who who make fast, hard, sudden and clumsy motions must feel it is totally normal and think "how can they be bothering anyone?", not putting themselves in another's shoes.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 05-22-2015 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 05-23-2015, 05:56 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,505,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodica View Post
agree completely with jen. And i really do feel your pain, in2itive_1.

It all comes down to consideration. Nobody has it anymore. Until people stop thinking "me me me" and get a little empathy, this will continue to get worse. I just hope i can afford my 40 acres of land in the middle of nowhere soon!
me too!!!

Old 05-23-2015, 09:04 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,738,568 times
Hopelessly off topic

Please remember In Fighting does nothing to address the question at hand.

Useful comments are always appreciated.

Thread Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting