Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 11:39 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,694,123 times

Advertisements

I am moving out of my apartment -- my lease is almost up -- and my property manager told me today that I will be charged $60 for the rugs to be cleaned. I am so angry I could spit. I've rented most of my adult life, and I have always -- always -- received my full deposit back.

I think rug cleaning comes under "normal wear and tear". There is also nothing in my lease that says I will be charged $60 for rug cleaning.

Are there are landlords/property managers here who can tell me if what my property manager is doing (withholding $60 for rug cleaning) is shady?

I'm not suing this company in Small Claims -- I don't think. I'm grateful that I don't need the money, and I just want out and to forget about this place. But, as we always say in situations like this, "it's the principle of the thing!"

gawd, this is just one thing. It's been one unethical thing after with this property management company, not just with me but also with my neighbors. I don't know how this company stays in business!

Ok, rant ended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 12:08 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Once you receive the security deposit back along with the required itemized deductions then, in accordance with state law (they're linked in the first "sticky" on this forum) you can dispute the charges. It helps if you have dated pre move-in photos and you should definitely take dated photos of the unit before you hand over the keys - obviously including the rugs/carpet which you've been forewarned you'll be charged for cleaning.

If the rugs/carpet are, when you leave, in the same condition as they were when you moved in (less normal wear and tear) and there's nothing stipulated in your lease about your being responsible for having them cleaned on your leaving then I agree with you and would dispute the charge.

You'll find this useful and it specifically addresses wear of carpets:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/l...-deposit.shtml

Last edited by STT Resident; 03-20-2015 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: Added link

Old 03-20-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Once you receive the security deposit back along with the required itemized deductions then, in accordance with state law (they're linked in the first "sticky" on this forum) you can dispute the charges. It helps if you have dated pre move-in photos and you should definitely take dated photos of the unit before you hand over the keys - obviously including the rugs/carpet which you've been forewarned you'll be charged for cleaning.

If the rugs/carpet are, when you leave, in the same condition as they were when you moved in (less normal wear and tear) and there's nothing stipulated in your lease about your being responsible for having them cleaned on your leaving then I agree with you and would dispute the charge.

You'll find this useful and it specifically addresses wear of carpets:

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs
I appreciate it. Thanks!

Old 03-20-2015, 01:51 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I am moving out of my apartment -- my lease is almost up -- and my property manager told me today that I will be charged $60 for the rugs to be cleaned. I am so angry I could spit. I've rented most of my adult life, and I have always -- always -- received my full deposit back.

I think rug cleaning comes under "normal wear and tear". There is also nothing in my lease that says I will be charged $60 for rug cleaning.
No cleaning is NOT normal wear and tear. You have the right to clean the rugs yourself, but if it is not done to the landlords satisfaction they would still be justified to charge you for an addiitional cleaning.

It would probably cost you at least that much in rental fees and time to clean the rugs. So in my opinion that is a very reasonable charge for you to not have to do it yourself.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
No cleaning is NOT normal wear and tear. You have the right to clean the rugs yourself, but if it is not done to the landlords satisfaction they would still be justified to charge you for an addiitional cleaning.
CA is a state where things are done a little differently and their landlord tenant laws are pretty specific on the subject.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post

It would probably cost you at least that much in rental fees and time to clean the rugs. So in my opinion that is a very reasonable charge for you to not have to do it yourself.
You're right -- I've done some research on my own. You stated it exactly the way it is in NM. I come from CA -- I've never been charged with a rug cleaning fee. In fact, this is the first time I've been charged a rug-cleaning fee in NM! But your (further) right: I'm not going to clean the rugs myself. I just want out of here.

Thanks to all who answered. I appreciate it very much.

Fran

Old 03-20-2015, 03:20 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
First California prohibits non refundable deposits by statute.

Second Landlords MUST offer a pre-move out inspection to discuss concerns with the tenant unless the Tenant declines.

Third... A flat across the board the charge to clean carpet regardless of condition would never hold up in my 30+ years of property management.

By the way... I have always offered a pre-move inspection and it works very well... some tenants have said if I just leave the unit as is will the deposit cover it... others think they have done a great job and I point out deficiencies while there is still time to remedy... also give the talk that I expect all light fixtures to be working and no tenant personal items left behind or there will be a charge for disposal...

Old 03-20-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
First California prohibits non refundable deposits by statute.

Second Landlords MUST offer a pre-move out inspection to discuss concerns with the tenant unless the Tenant declines.

Third... A flat across the board the charge to clean carpet regardless of condition would never hold up in my 30+ years of property management.

By the way... I have always offered a pre-move inspection and it works very well... some tenants have said if I just leave the unit as is will the deposit cover it... others think they have done a great job and I point out deficiencies while there is still time to remedy... also give the talk that I expect all light fixtures to be working and no tenant personal items left behind or there will be a charge for disposal...
Thank you.

It doesn't work that way in NM. Landlords are allowed to charge a reasonable amount to have the rugs cleaned, unless the tenant cleans the rugs herself. And for $60 -- they can clean the rugs.

I'm just angry, because, like I said, this never happened to me before -- EVER. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr LOLOLOLOLOL

Old 03-20-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
It doesn't work that way in NM. Landlords are allowed to charge a reasonable amount to have the rugs cleaned, unless the tenant cleans the rugs herself.
Seems so - my bad, I thought from previous posts you were in CA. Demonstrating once again that one should never assume!

Old 03-20-2015, 07:29 PM

244 posts, read 667,707 times
$60? That's a bargain for having carpets cleaned. I wouldn't argue unless they are absolutely spotless, and everybody tracks in something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting