Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 03:03 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,682,349 times

Advertisements

It's hard but I would rather not, do not *********r credit for the sake of loved ones. Let them straighten themselves out and be more responsible.

So please don't do it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 03:17 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,342,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Or they get into section 8 and have the taxpayer subsidize their next dwelling. Much more humane.
Her son does not qualify for Section 8. Section 8 isn't designed for kids that don't have their act together. The program is for low income seniors and disabled people that need rental assistance.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:27 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,514,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Her son does not qualify for Section 8. Section 8 isn't designed for kids that don't have their act together. The program is for low income seniors and disabled people that need rental assistance.
They can always find a ultra cheap apartment. It may not be someplace you and I would want to live but its doable. If they're really down on their luck they can find a decent halfway house. Anythings better than being a street rat.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:39 PM

488 posts, read 858,211 times
If you are truly afraid of your kids (a sad state of affairs in itself) why would you even entertain the idea of entering into a financial contract with them?

My brother, who is an otherwise decent guy, is a financial leech. He has no issues about taking money from family and not paying it back. He ruined my sister's otherwise perfect credit by lying to her and telling her she was a cosigner on something and she turned out to the the primary on the loan and he failed to pay it. Because he's not a total heartless SOB, when they were a month from taking her to court, he finally paid.

If your kids are as "entitled" as you are saying, I doubt they will even be that courteous. Then the eviction will be on your record and you'll never be able to move again because you'll be lucky to find someone to rent to you.

No. Just...no.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:36 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,415,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
No way, don't co-sign. Also, I don't think I would give them the new address or allow them to visit. The DS might start getting mail sent to your home and then use that to say he lives there, and then try to call the police and say you won't let him in the home and that he lives there. And maybe he would get away with it because your word against his.

Get a PO Box at the local Post Office. Give the PO Box address to them if they need an address for mail. Oh - and when you do the mail forwarding from your current address...forward to the new PO Box. Otherwise the kids might get some mail forwarded to the new address just because the post office will forward all mail that matches your last name.

I wouldn't give them the new home phone either - just cell phone. And make sure you pay extra to the phone company to have your home phone unlisted. Else they can get your address.

Its too late, they already know our new address, at least DS does. He did help move a few things in here, then disappeared. when I filled out the change of address, I just indicated me and dh. They have a family option, where you can indicate all with the same last name get forwarded, but I did NOT choose this. However, I will take your advice and change the forwarding yet again to a private mail box. If you use a USPS govt POB, they are required by law to disclose the physical address of the box owner to whomever requests it, under the Freedom of Information Act. Unlike a private PO box, usually obtained through places like UPS. They will only disclose the owner's actual physical address per court order. Private PO boxes also cost quite a bit more than USPS boxes, something like $40--$60/month, but its worth it to keep your privacy in cases like this.

Also, I'm being very careful NOT to acknowledge either kid receives mail here. Both receive RX drugs through our mail order pharmacy, which I transferred to this address First thing tomorrow, I plan to change the addresses for them. I know where DD lives, I will have her meds sent there. I don't know what to do with DS drugs, I will discuss that option with Express Scripts tomorrow. As long as they're not sent here. I will NOT give either kid their insurance information, either. We pay for it, and we can't drop them until the beginning of the new enrollment period, which is next Jan. I realize anything they do or we do that establishes their residency here gives them squatter's rights.

Also thanks for the tip about keeping the phone number unlisted.

Its unfortunate it has to come to this, but both kids have abused us with the sanction of law enforcement, counselors, etc. DS even stole our credit cards, repeatedly, and ran up thousands in charges we couldn't pay, thus ruining our credit scores. We were basically told since he was a minor, and there's no proof he stole the cards, their options were limited. We were told its our fault for allowing him access to them, although we did everything to keep them locked up, hid, etc, but he managed to find where we hid them. We installed a wall lockbox, he pried it open with a crowbar to get at the cards, etc.

We are now in our sixties, our resources are limited, much has been spent on legal fees, psychiatric fees have just about ruined us despite having insurance. We deserve to face retirement not in poverty.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:46 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Question comes up all the time... if a person's family will not co-sign... why would I take the risk?

Did have one young man with a boss that co-signed and have also had a church co-sign... both were model tenants.

One question... how are you not responsible for a minor child?

Old 04-30-2015, 08:53 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,415,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Question comes up all the time... if a person's family will not co-sign... why would I take the risk?

Did have one young man with a boss that co-signed and have also had a church co-sign... both were model tenants.

One question... how are you not responsible for a minor child?

He's NOT a minor child, he's 18.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:34 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
[/b]

He's NOT a minor child, he's 18.
I thought you have both a 17 and 18 year old out of the house?

Old 05-01-2015, 04:18 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,036,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I thought you have both a 17 and 18 year old out of the house?

She does. Her dd, who lives with her boyfriend, is only 17.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:34 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,342,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
They can always find a ultra cheap apartment. It may not be someplace you and I would want to live but its doable. If they're really down on their luck they can find a decent halfway house. Anythings better than being a street rat.
He still needs an income to rent an ultra cheap apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting