Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 11:00 PM

581 posts, read 666,129 times

Advertisements

Melodica, it's a typo. He gets home at 10:00 p.m.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 04:51 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,066,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dessertlover View Post
You're full of BS. HE GETS HOME AT 10 AM. WHAT DOES HE NEED TO BE UP DOING CLEANING AND MAINTENANCE AT 3:00 AM IN THE MORNING FOR??
Because it's his house and he can.

Who are you to question his daily schedule? It's not like you have to get up and go to work

If you don't like the living situation you can a) sue him (we know how you love to sue) or b) move. I suggest b..it's cheaper and easier.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:55 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,066,254 times
Quote:
Melodica, it's a typo. He gets home at 10:00 p.m.

Well, there ya go. That's your answer as to why he's up at 0300. Not sure why you thought he'd come home at 10 and go right to bed. I get home at 5p and spend the next 5 hours doing whatever it is that needs to be done around the house.

You knew his work schedule when you moved in. If you dont' like it, move. As I said, how can he be disturbing you?? You're not working...you have nowhere to be....take a nap and get over yourself already.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:27 PM

Kim, as I said previously, I LIKE my landlord/roommate and I'm going to work with him. I'm gotten some good suggestions and I'm going to try those first.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:40 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,716,012 times
I would approach him with the attitude that he likely isn't even aware that he's disturbing you. You won't be able to fix everything, but you might fix one or two things.

So, sometime when you're both around, sit down casually and say, "Hey, there's something I wanted to ask you. I don't know if you're aware how sound travels, and, you know, we keep very different hours. I'm finding that some of the after-midnight noise is waking me up, and I wondered if you mind if maybe I attached a door sweep to the bottom of my door to block noise, and maybe tried hanging a tapestry on the wall that's against the laundry room."

He might just say, "Oh, no, I didn't realize you could hear me."

About the laundry, I think you'd have to spray Febreeze on the actual material to make it work. Do you leave your laundry there, too? What if you started leaving your laundry there, and then a few weeks later said, "Wow, I'm sorry, is that my laundry smelling? If so, sorry. Do you want me to do yours, too, as long as I'm in there?"

Nothing you can do about his behavior with the other things, BUT you can go buy yourself blackout curtains and a white noise machine.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:16 PM

Great suggestions, Cida. I will try them.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:39 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,030,306 times
When I worked 3:00pm - 11:00pm, I kept weird hours, too. Swing shift has its perks, because it's the best of both worlds -- you get to sleep late and stay up late, while still being able to get things done during the day if needed -- but the hours are a little funky. I would stay up until 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning and would sleep in until 11:00 every day.

When you work from 9:00 til 5:00, you aren't in bed at 6:00 or 7:00, are you?

Lighten up a little. Wear ear plugs, or play music quietly -- just enough to drown out the noise. A white noise machine might work.

As for the smelly laundry, either suck it up or wash it for him.

He's the one with the job, not you, so it seems like you could adjust your lifestyle more easily than he could adjust his.

You could even get in a 2-for-1 about the laundry by mentioning something, in a FRIENDLY tone, about how the washing machine wakes you up at night. You could say, "Hey, would you like for me to toss your laundry in the washing machine when I get home? I know you don't get home 'til late, and who wants to do laundry at 3:00 am? It sure seems like a lot of commotion to me. I can wash and dry it for you and put it in a basket for you to fold when you get home, if you want."

Then, you won't have to deal with smelly or loud, and if you're doing something nice for your roomie (who minds throwing in the washer and dryer? Folding is the sucky part), then maybe later on, you can mention some other things and get a better reception instead of seeming like a picky jerk.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:51 AM

Problem solved. Thanks for all the great suggestions. My landord is so sweet!

Last edited by dessertlover; 05-13-2015 at 04:00 AM..

Old 05-13-2015, 04:22 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,783,131 times
Quote:
Problem solved. Thanks for all the great suggestions. My landord is so sweet!
Presumably it was resolved through simple communication?

Old 05-13-2015, 06:58 AM

STT, like most of you suggested, he really doesn't know that he was disturbing me. He brought the subject up himself after I came into the kitchen, although I was up late tonight for another reason. Now I know that he really does care. We will have a brief discussion about it later on. I was on here fretting and complaining when all it would have taken on my part was simple communication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting