Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 02:16 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,440,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterCLT View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovtinAAqb_Y

nice little video of section 8 tenants lol
No, that's an example of terrible renters. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 09:58 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
No, that's an example of terrible renters. Period.

Exactly. Any/all types of tenants can cause, and have caused, that type of damage. Not just section 8 so not sure why the section 8 needs to be specifically pointed out.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:09 PM

12 posts, read 110,662 times
Default Renting to a sec 8 renter

I can see a problem and the scare. But some of the sec 8 renters are people in wheel chairs and are clean and pay their bills. Also have care providers come in. I could suggest if they come in one piece and a pack of kids, just take a app, and reply later you rented to someone else. If someone comes up really handicapped, not just disabled. Consider it.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:17 AM

584 posts, read 1,936,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyerishroses View Post
I can see a problem and the scare. But some of the sec 8 renters are people in wheel chairs and are clean and pay their bills. Also have care providers come in. I could suggest if they come in one piece and a pack of kids, just take a app, and reply later you rented to someone else. If someone comes up really handicapped, not just disabled. Consider it.
disabled and hadicaped is one and the same. so what would you call handicapped vs disabled ? you can have someone look 100% healthy to you or i but the have heart issues that keep them from working a nerve disorder. how do you judge vs. what the law says that gave them ssi or ssd?

Old 08-15-2015, 12:24 AM

784 posts, read 729,565 times
Section 8 is just a program. A very high percentage of them are trash, but they can be good as well. Look for tenants with at least a 625 credit score, no criminal record, and no evictions. That weeds out most of the issues.

Low quality renters are always a problem, section 8 or not.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:02 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREin2016 View Post
Section 8 is just a program. A very high percentage of them are trash, but they can be good as well. Look for tenants with at least a 625 credit score, no criminal record, and no evictions. That weeds out most of the issues.

Low quality renters are always a problem, section 8 or not.
Indeed.

We rented to a German petroleum engineer that was vetted by our management company.

Unbeknownst to us or the management company, he moved his daughter, her boyfriend, and their assorted kids in and together they tore the place up.

We did not renew the lease. They moved out. The management company gave them back their damage deposit. Said we had to expect wear and tear on a rental. Management company was more interested in keeping the oil company's business than they were in keeping ours.

If I were doing this again, I would personally vet the tenant(s) by calling their references and last two landlords.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:07 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Section 8 tenants tend to be people down on their luck. Some due to disability. Some due to poor choices.

Most Section 8 rentals are older and/or in neighborhoods where it is more difficult to find decent tenants. There may be some inspections and hassles involved, but at least with Section 8 your get a good portion of the rent every month.

Some landlords own primarily Section 8 housing. IMO, they are in the best position to deal with Section 8 hassles and tenants.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:20 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Section 8 tenants tend to be people down on their luck. Some due to disability. Some due to poor choices.

Most Section 8 rentals are older and/or in neighborhoods where it is more difficult to find decent tenants. There may be some inspections and hassles involved, but at least with Section 8 your get a good portion of the rent every month.

Some landlords own primarily Section 8 housing. IMO, they are in the best position to deal with Section 8 hassles and tenants.
All of these statements are incorrect.

Section 8 is a program, you have to qualify for it, and there's a very long waiting list. Getting into the program requires qualifying for it, and a very long wait. It has nothing to do with being down on your luck, being disabled, or poor choices.

Section rentals are everywhere. If a homeowner in a very upscale area wants to rent out a house to Section 8 tenants, the house has to be inspected to make sure everything is working properly, before it can be entered into the program for rent. Not all of the rentals are older or in areas where it's hard to find decent tenants.

Not all landlord own Section 8 housing. It's up to individual landlords if they want to participate in it or not.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:09 PM

439 posts, read 517,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Honest answers are what I'm looking for.

If a person will lie on the application when they are presumably at their best... it's not hard to imagine the problems a business relationship will have.

If a person has collections... why would I put myself in a position to be added to that list.

My very first time showing and approving a tenant was a disaster... it was so bad I thought I was done for.

Showing a two bedroom house in Oakland on a Saturday... notice in the newspaper... a family really liked the place and had just moved from Colorado... they had a U-haul with their possessions parked in front...

The husband showed me a letter with his job offer and a severance pay check that he was willing to endorse to me... it was back in the early 80's before mobile computers or even cell phones.

I let the family move in... never collected a single penny from them... the letter and the check was a scam... these people had done this to others... they got to live rent free for almost 9 weeks and I had the added cost of a full eviction... they moved out the night before the Sheriff was scheduled to put them out...

I offered my boss to pay for the lost rent and eviction costs... which would have been about 4 months wages...

He was going to let me go and because I owned up to my mistake didn't fire me...

This is why I run a checks to make sure people are who they say they are and that they are truthful...
Wow, great lesson learned!!

Old 12-17-2015, 07:12 PM

927 posts, read 759,117 times
In West Palm Beach they were looking for Sec 8. The landlords want only fixed income or government checks or Rehab insurance money in South Florida. "We don't want to go through the eviction process."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting