Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 01:33 AM

90 posts, read 213,331 times

Advertisements

We gave our 30 day notice on the 28th of june, paid the entire month of July, so far so good. We are moving July 15th the LL is aware of this fact and they also know we are moving 2 states away. Now my problem, I just saw their renters add and it states the home is available July 17th, they are showing the house in 2 days so I know the possibility of it being rented very soon is extremely high. Should I say something to my LL about pro-rated rent or just let it be.

We are on a month to month lease in Nevada and the lease stated 30 day notice. I would appreciate any advice on how to handle this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 06:46 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,761,161 times
Let it go. you gave your notice, you're the one choosing to leave earlier than that.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:26 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,934,602 times
It's not double dipping. You decided to return the property 2 weeks early. You don't have to but it was your decision and move on.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:43 AM

So why is there a law that says a LL may not collect rent for the same place twice? My lease is 30 days to 30 days, not they know I'm gone out of state so let's take advantage and make an extra 15 days rent even though it's paid in full, how is it on me?

Yes I'm leaving but all utilities will be in my name till the 1st and the yard person will be back twice per the LL! I'm paying for all that. Why should I pay for someone else? The LL told us they wanted to paint and put in new carpet, nether thing has been done in 13 years. I was trying to be nice and give them time.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:57 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsacg View Post
So why is there a law that says a LL may not collect rent for the same place twice? My lease is 30 days to 30 days, not they know I'm gone out of state so let's take advantage and make an extra 15 days rent even though it's paid in full, how is it on me?

Yes I'm leaving but all utilities will be in my name till the 1st and the yard person will be back twice per the LL! I'm paying for all that. Why should I pay for someone else? The LL told us they wanted to paint and put in new carpet, nether thing has been done in 13 years. I was trying to be nice and give them time.
Have the utilities shut off the day after you vacate and inform the LL in writing that you are doing that NOW. That solves one problem. Same with the yard person. You have zero obligation to pay those expenses.

Leave the place spotless and get back your security deposit.

Assuming the LL gets the place rented and occupied in those 15 days, yes, it might be doubke dipping. Your recourse is small claims court. Warning: if you left the place dirty or did damage and go to small claims court, the judge may award him more money. The tracks go both ways.

Just cover the expenses until your departure. Then drop it. Move on.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:12 AM

Thank you I will do that. They asked me to leave everything on so the house could be worked on and my garden could be keeped up. But I don't want to pay for someone else. We have hired a cleaner and will be leaving the place much cleaner then we got it. I have my walk through notes and it states how dirty stuff was and they signed off on it so there aware too.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:22 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,763,189 times
Aren't the utilities supposed to be kept on at all times during the length of the tenants lease? Or in this case, for the entire 30 days of that lease? I know in my state that's the law.

If this is the case, perhaps obtaining a written agreement from your LL acknowledging the fact that you are moving early, but the utilities go with you, the same day? I wouldn't want to be giving freebies to the next tenant. Not on my dime.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:26 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
Quote:

Yes I'm leaving but all utilities will be in my name till the 1st and the yard person will be back twice per the LL! I'm paying for all that. .
Cancel utilities and yard service on the day you hand over the keys to the landlord.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:33 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,692,884 times
Quote:
Thank you I will do that. They asked me to leave everything on so the house could be worked on and my garden could be keeped up. But I don't want to pay for someone else. We have hired a cleaner and will be leaving the place much cleaner then we got it. I have my walk through notes and it states how dirty stuff was and they signed off on it so there aware too.
If they need the utilities on, they need to pay for that. giving the place back 2 weeks early is a nice bonus for the LL, there's no need for *you* to cover utilities for the rehab. iF you just booked 2 weeks early without the landlord even realizing you were gone, that'd be another matter entirely - but clearly this landlord has had time to plan for your departure.

That said, the odds of the LL being able to truly "double dip" are pretty thin. 2 days is a darn quick "flip" of a rental, and tenants aren't usually able/ready to move in until the weekend after securing a "deal".. (and that's super fast).. I'd agree that they'll likely have a new tenant by the first if they're on the ball, but no guarantees there..

Old 07-03-2015, 08:37 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,692,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Aren't the utilities supposed to be kept on at all times during the length of the tenants lease? Or in this case, for the entire 30 days of that lease? I know in my state that's the law.

If this is the case, perhaps obtaining a written agreement from your LL acknowledging the fact that you are moving early, but the utilities go with you, the same day? I wouldn't want to be giving freebies to the next tenant. Not on my dime.
It's not "the law" in my state, but it is in most leases - that said, if the landlord is accepting the property back early (and is fully aware of the tenant's departure), the landlord is, in effect - ending the lease "early", by accepting possession early, and the prepaid rent is (in effect) a "penalty" for not giving 30 days notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting