Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 11:46 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,306,840 times

Advertisements

I was wondering why cant you stay were you are until you buy?? Also If you are planning on building why not buy the land & live in a mobile till you can build [or a travel trailer!] Another thought my town has a 2 dog limit within the city...perhaps your area has a limit too!! There are lots of housing dev in the county here that only allow 1 cat or 1 dog peroid! Well I wish you well! Love collies raised them for years....are your smooth or rough!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 12:45 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,942,575 times
Coffeeaddict...

Thanks for the advice, but none of that would really work for us at this point. The problem now is that the subflooring needs to be resealed before cleaning the carpet will be effective... hence the need for a day I can leave the dog outside all day. (The cats wouldn't bother the sealant, but the dog is more unpredictable.)

We were steam cleaning for the first few days... apparently, that's all it took for the subflooring to be damaged. We have had a professional in, and their advice was to pull up the pad, seal the floor and then replace the pad. The landlords are being great about it... because we offered to pay for/fix the problem and also because the professional (one they recommended) said that not all the damage is from our pets, though our animals have not helped matters.

When the weather is warmer, we'll be able to deal with this. Neither of the cats are declawed and will damage the wood in the bathroom or bedrooms if they are locked in (they're 9 years old, I know them well). As it is, we'll be sanding and painting the trim of the master bedroom door as we move out, due to ONE HOUR that they got locked in there accidentally.

We are now kenneling the dog when we leave the house, but the cats... well, felines can be very vindictive creatures. The good news is that the peeing is slowing down... the 3 of them are getting used to each other finally and we're finding we only have to clean the rug a couple times a week at this point. We also put down cheap, large area rugs over most of the area, and we think this is helping. I don't believe the dog is doing it at all anymore... the new spots are too small to be her.

One thing we're playing around with is having the carpet and pad removed, the carpet from that room temporarily stored and having linoleum placed over the subfloor. Then we can put the rug back down as we move out. We'd do it right away, but the thought of paying ANOTHER $100 a month for storage has me thinking evil thoughts about the cats. We'll see. Oh how I regret taking in those kittens all those years ago. I love em, but sometimes I hate em too.

Last edited by sskkc; 02-10-2008 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-11-2008, 12:29 PM

153 posts, read 937,685 times
Quote:
I was wondering why cant you stay were you are until you buy?? Also If you are planning on building why not buy the land & live in a mobile till you can build [or a travel trailer!] Another thought my town has a 2 dog limit within the city...perhaps your area has a limit too!! There are lots of housing dev in the county here that only allow 1 cat or 1 dog peroid! Well I wish you well! Love collies raised them for years....are your smooth or rough!!
Because I cannot qualify for a mortgage unless I have employment in the state of KY. I'm self employed now and would have to jump through a ton of hoops to get approved this way, so it's just easier to go the conventional route and get a job there for a few months to qualify. Then I can quit and go back to being self employed full time.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:14 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,434,531 times
I'm a dog owner and a renter. I have a 1 year lease on a house in Oklahoma, the pet deposit was $100.00.
I've had him since he was a puppy, he's house broken and either comes to me when he needs to go out or holds it until I'm able to let him out. we,ve been here 8 months and the only damage he has done anywhere is scratched the paint on the front door when we first moved in because I had to leave for a minute and he wasn't use to being alone in such a strange place. I informed the landlady and told her that I would take care of it. I,ve already repainted the door.
We moved here from California.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 02-11-2008 at 07:25 PM..

Old 02-12-2008, 12:02 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,306,840 times
I was self employed when I purchased years ago. I used tax forms as proof of income had no problems. Maybe you can get a place thats owner finaced.....

Old 02-13-2008, 08:54 AM

932 posts, read 1,274,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I would never rent to a dog owner, but have rented to cat owners.
I haven't rented in ages, but I can tell you- my cats did WAY more damage than my dog EVER has!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting