Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:04 AM
RR1 RR1 started this thread

3 posts, read 13,613 times

Advertisements

I have been renting a room as a paying guest in a 5 bedroom apartment in Woodhaven, NY. It is a shared accommodation and landlord also lives in the same house. I haven't signed any lease with the landlord. However, I had paid $900/- as a security deposit which is supposed to be refunded at the time of vacating the apartment. I have a letter from the landlord which mentions the same. The only requirement from the landlord was that I give him a month's notice before vacating.
I'm scheduled to vacate the apartment at the end of this month which I informed my landlord on 9th of January. At which time he said I would not get my security deposit back as I did not tell him on the 1st of January. He had never mentioned that the notice should be given on the 1st of the month if I wish to vacate at the end of that month. He always mentioned that a months notice is sufficient.
Because I don't have a written lease, what are my options of getting my security deposit back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 10:20 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR1 View Post
I have been renting a room as a paying guest in a 5 bedroom apartment in Woodhaven, NY. It is a shared accommodation and landlord also lives in the same house. I haven't signed any lease with the landlord. However, I had paid $900/- as a security deposit which is supposed to be refunded at the time of vacating the apartment. I have a letter from the landlord which mentions the same. The only requirement from the landlord was that I give him a month's notice before vacating.
I'm scheduled to vacate the apartment at the end of this month which I informed my landlord on 9th of January. At which time he said I would not get my security deposit back as I did not tell him on the 1st of January. He had never mentioned that the notice should be given on the 1st of the month if I wish to vacate at the end of that month. He always mentioned that a months notice is sufficient.
Because I don't have a written lease, what are my options of getting my security deposit back?
Not sure about you, but I don't remember a 22 day month?
A month's notice means at least 30 days.

Ask him to pro-rate it, and get back $675.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:23 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,006 times
Or take him to small claims court with a copy of however you paid him for this month with a copy of his letter to you (showing the date).

Old 01-31-2008, 10:59 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
If there is no written contract, you automatically fall under month-to-month status. This means you do indeed need to give him a full month's notice before you leave. You gave him essentially three weeks, which means you are going to owe him for that extra week he should have gotten.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:15 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,084,292 times
Tell him you're moving out on Feb. 9th and to pro-rate the month of February.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:46 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
Yep. Pro-rate the 9 days in Feburary. He can't keep the whole security deposit.

In my state, if the deducted (with a list of deductions for damages, etc) security deposit isn't refunded in 21 days from the date of moving out, it is due in full with no deductions. If it still isn't refunded after sending in notice and a little additional waiting period, then you can go after the landlord for triple the amount of the deposit.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,957 times
i have payed the one month rental deposits.Is it different from security and damage deposits?

Old 04-18-2012, 05:13 PM

113 posts, read 895,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victoria galvan View Post
i have payed the one month rental deposits.Is it different from security and damage deposits?
You should really create a new thread when you want to ask your own questions.

No, it's not the same.

The "month rental deposit" is either first month's rent, last month, or both, depending on what was agreed upon. It is applied to the month in which you and your landlord agreed on.

The security deposit is applied to all damages you caused after you move out. This is separate from rent.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:17 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
[edited to delete my own post ... I realized I was answering a question from January 2008, oops!!]

Old 04-18-2012, 05:31 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victoria galvan View Post
What does your lease agreement say? If you paid more than one month's rent you need to know what any additional money you have paid is for. If you don't have a lease agreement (which is not a good situation to be in) then you should ask your landlord for a written receipt saying how much you've paid and what it's for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinoRepublic View Post
The security deposit is applied to all damages you caused after you move out. This is separate from rent.
The security deposit is to cover any damages which a tenant makes to the unit while they're living in it, which is why it's always a good idea to take photographs of the place when you move in and photographs when you move out in case there's any question about damages. Within a certain time period after you vacate the unit (state laws vary but it's usually 30 days)) the landlord is required by law to return to you your security deposit less any documented deductions for repair of damages. In some states the security deposit can also be used to cover unpaid utility bills and any balance due on rental payments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting